Help with a Strat purchase.

Ag_Nathus

Reaction score
So I have two strats that I like very much: an '08-ish 50's roadworn that has a delightful-shaped V neck and is two toned sunburst and a '94 none-more-black Strat Plus that is, well, a Strat Plus. I would like to combine these into one super-start. (well, not a superstrat...) Since this isn't possible, I am planning on selling both and getting as close to my perfect strat as possible. Over the years, I have realized that I am more of a Brownie man than a Blackie man and so I want it in two tone sunburst. I definitely prefer the V neck to the C, but like the 9.5 radius over the 7.

So I realize that I am looking at an Eric Johnson or an original 50's. Anything else? I think I could handle the 12" radius on the EJ, but I have seen reviews where they say that the 50's strat isn't all that V shaped...it's just chunky. Also, for those who have an EJ, how does the nitro on the back of the neck play? For this who have the 50's, does the poly base coat have any negative impact? I will be mostly running into Marshal-ly type amps with arbiter-ish pedals. Thoughts on where I should direct my attention would appreciated!

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Wouldn't there be other custom shop models that would have the exact combination of features you are looking for? I guess the alternative would be to go the partscaster route and get a full nitro body and neck. There are also a few MIJ upper end ST54 models that were supposed to have V shaped necks and nitro finish as well.

Jon W

Reaction score
Check out the wildwood 10s. They are all 10" radius and come in non relic (ready to relic) versions. I played a few and they are really good. Many neck shapes to choose from.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree with @Ph03n1x : Put one together. It's really easy and economical and you can get all the exact features you want.

ChuckHall03

Reaction score
Check out the wildwood 10s. They are all 10" radius and come in non relic (ready to relic) versions. I played a few and they are really good. Many neck shapes to choose from.
Second this, the Wildwood 10’s are awesome. Probably my next gear purchase. Haven’t played the EJ strat myself but some of their new models play really nice. Spent some time across the APII line and the ultras a few weeks back and I’d say they are worth a try around that 2k price point

Ag_Nathus

Reaction score
Hmm, just checked out the Ultras and APIIs and they seem to be D and C shaped necks, respectively. Are there other versions? The Wildwoods are nice but I was hoping to get out of this close to cost neutral.

if we are talking about building, are we looking at Warmoth?

Thanks for the help so far, guys!

pmonk

Reaction score

ChuckHall03

Reaction score
The 10’s are certainly pricey. Lots of boutique makers out there too if you were willing to go off brand for slightly less than a custom shop and same quality. Currently have a custom ordered G&L with a v neck and looking into getting a Suhr next with a more traditional 60’s c as I’ve found the v isn’t my favorite, but I still do love that guitar
Warmoth really does make some solid gear. I built a J Bass through them with all the bells and whistles and all in was under 2k with some wood upgrades and quality components. The kicker with them is resale value is pretty awful. If it’s something you’re planning on keeping and don’t mind buying without playing first, it’s not a bad option for the price.

pmonk

Reaction score
The 10’s are certainly pricey. Lots of boutique makers out there too if you were willing to go off brand for slightly less than a custom shop and same quality. Currently have a custom ordered G&L with a v neck and looking into getting a Suhr next with a more traditional 60’s c as I’ve found the v isn’t my favorite, but I still do love that guitar
Warmoth really does make some solid gear. I built a J Bass through them with all the bells and whistles and all in was under 2k with some wood upgrades and quality components. The kicker with them is resale value is pretty awful. If it’s something you’re planning on keeping and don’t mind buying without playing first, it’s not a bad option for the price.
One of the beauties of Fender is the ability to mix and match.

I put a 57 reissue soft V maple neck that I truly loved on a EJ body to build me a "Blackie" on the cheap that can easily match any CS Strat

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if we are talking about building, are we looking at Warmoth?
There are all kinds of sources for Strat parts. A sunburst body and a V neck are two of the most common; there are dozens and dozens - probably hundreds - for sale on Reverb, EBay, the Gear Page and other online sources. Spend a little time hunting and you could track down all the exact specs you want, put them together and have the perfect Strat with zero compromise. Just be careful - it's addicting!

Ag_Nathus

Reaction score
Did you buy the parts separately or are you mixing and matching from stuff you own?
One of the beauties of Fender is the ability to mix and match.

I put a 57 reissue soft V maple neck that I truly loved on a EJ body to build me a "Blackie" on the cheap that can easily match any CS Strat

pmonk

Reaction score
This particular Strat, no. I am a Craiglist/Reverb/STRATosphere junkie always looking for good deals on parts.

Other times, I saw a local CL ad for a 1962 rosewood reissue neck going for practically nothing and snapped it up super quick and threw it on my 2012 Fender American Special Strat, (2-Tone) and it rivals a 1962 reissue.

And I then took the maple large headstock maple neck from the Special and put it on my 1987 E series start

All my strats are mutts

tzd

Reaction score
So I have two strats that I like very much: an '08-ish 50's roadworn that has a delightful-shaped V neck and is two toned sunburst and a '94 none-more-black Strat Plus that is, well, a Strat Plus. I would like to combine these into one super-start. (well, not a superstrat...) Since this isn't possible, I am planning on selling both and getting as close to my perfect strat as possible. Over the years, I have realized that I am more of a Brownie man than a Blackie man and so I want it in two tone sunburst. I definitely prefer the V neck to the C, but like the 9.5 radius over the 7.

So I realize that I am looking at an Eric Johnson or an original 50's. Anything else? I think I could handle the 12" radius on the EJ, but I have seen reviews where they say that the 50's strat isn't all that V shaped...it's just chunky. Also, for those who have an EJ, how does the nitro on the back of the neck play? For this who have the 50's, does the poly base coat have any negative impact? I will be mostly running into Marshal-ly type amps with arbiter-ish pedals. Thoughts on where I should direct my attention would appreciated!
Do you want a pronounced V or a soft V neck? If your preference is for a Soft V and on the smaller side, if you don't mind having a non-vintage-correct 22nd fret, the Eric Clapton neck has 9.5" radius, and is the most comfortable soft V neck on I've played. It's also closer in texture to your road worn neck as it has a satin finish. (You can order the Clapton profile neck from Warmoth).

I have the Eric Johnson Strat and combination of 12" radius and V profile doesn't work for me. The nitro finish is pretty thick and a little sticky.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How much do you like your Strat Plus? You could just have that refinished, then swap necks if needed.

Ag_Nathus

Reaction score
Well, I don't want to mess with a perfectly good Strat Plus, I think I could just move that and then someone else could have a fun new toy. Plus ( no pun...), who knows how good the wood underneath is for a sunburst body, I'm assuming it's alder and who knows how many pieces or where the seam(s) are. I would rather get an EJ and sand down the neck finish at that point. I did consider the Clapton but, alas, no sunburst, which seems weird, considering, and I would definitely need to unblock the trem as I like to grab it occasionally, but not while anyone is looking!

I do have a Music Man LIII which got me hooked on V necks (as well as roasted maple) along with the roadworn and it has a pretty flat radius which I seem to be able to get on with. I used to have a Jackson PC 1 with a flat board as well.

Ag_Nathus

Reaction score
Just as a follow-up, I went in and checked out this guitar:
This guitar!
While it does have a v-ish neck, it's still pretty fat. So if you are into fat necks (not that there is anything wrong with that), these might be for you. It was pretty heavy as well, not sure if that is due to the wood selection. If you are thinking about a Virginia, however, don't get this one. The original pick guard seems to be missing, the tone knobs appear not to work and it looks like someone took the neck off roughly as there are chips of finish missing around the neck screws. I will be interested in looking at a regular EJ to see how they compare in shape and weight.

tzd

Reaction score
Just as a follow-up, I went in and checked out this guitar:
This guitar!
While it does have a v-ish neck, it's still pretty fat. So if you are into fat necks (not that there is anything wrong with that), these might be for you. It was pretty heavy as well, not sure if that is due to the wood selection. If you are thinking about a Virginia, however, don't get this one. The original pick guard seems to be missing, the tone knobs appear not to work and it looks like someone took the neck off roughly as there are chips of finish missing around the neck screws. I will be interested in looking at a regular EJ to see how they compare in shape and weight.
My regular EJ is super light.

Ag_Nathus

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. This one wasn't Led Paul heavy, it was more like Tele heavy. Is your neck a fat V or a slender V? Does it have a neckle?

Thanks!
AG

Latest Threads