Help with '59 Junior P-90

themollusk79

Reaction score
Can anyone help authenticate this P-90. It is out of a '59 junior - but appears to be a '50s soap bar as opposed to the dog ear. No ears, and mounts through the pickup into the middle of the cavity. the wiring harness and solder joints appear all original and untouched. So, my question is has this pickup been swapped at some point, or are there examples of this in a '59 junior. Any insight is appreciated.

p90.jpg

p903.jpg
p902.jpg

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score
I know there are examples of '58 Juniors with 4 digit serial numbers and factory original soapbars under a dogear cover, so I don't see why it couldn't be possible in '59.

themollusk79

Reaction score
I know there are examples of '58 Juniors with 4 digit serial numbers and factory original soapbars under a dogear cover, so I don't see why it couldn't be possible in '59.
Yes, I read that in my research and it's quite interesting. This serial is 9 7374, indicating an early'ish '59. So, definitely could be the case. I am just trying to document this guitar down to the last detail. That was the only head scratcher so far!

none2low

Reaction score
Can't really tell from your pictures, but does yours have the more rounded body edges or are they still sharp?

themollusk79

Reaction score
Definitely more rounded than sharp, although I don't have a frame of reference for the ones with sharper edges. Here is a picture

edges1.jpg

themollusk79

Reaction score
Actually, the more I compare, mine is more similar to '58 squared examples.

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
Reaction score
I had these photos in my files. I don't know where I got them,
but maybe they will help.
~DG

Picture013.jpg

normal_917_p49551.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't look like there's room for a soapbar cover in the rout, so maybe a previous owner didn't like the cover?

themollusk79

Reaction score
It doesn't look like there's room for a soapbar cover in the rout, so maybe a previous owner didn't like the cover?
There are definitely instances of '50s juniors with factory soap bars instead of dog ears. From my research, mine more fits the profile of the '58s with the squared edges and factory soap bar. So, perhaps I have a unicorn '59.

none2low

Reaction score
To my eye it doesn't look like as sharp as some 58's I've seen, but it's not as rounded as the later 59's.

Out of curiosity have you checked the pot codes to see if they are dated '58 or '59? Might help to determine a rough build date.

themollusk79

Reaction score
To my eye it doesn't look like as sharp as some 58's I've seen, but it's not as rounded as the later 59's.

Out of curiosity have you checked the pot codes to see if they are dated '58 or '59? Might help to determine a rough build date.
Its really hard to do with pictures, but it is especially apparent when you compare the front of mine to another '59. The rounded corners on the other '59s are very apparent, where mine looks much more angular.

As for the pot codes, I haven't gotten there yet as I was reluctant to undo the harness. But, that is next I guess!

themollusk79

Reaction score
Here is another frame of reference. This one looks very close to mine:

Pete M

Reaction score
With specials, the "58" style sharper edged bodies sometimes have 4 digit serial numbers and other times have full 5 digit 59 numbers. I think these were a first run or prototype set of double cuts that then got mixed in with the general output as they were finished off. Mostly in red, with the switch up top, and some even have the wider bevel. So it was more than likely the same with these early DC juniors.

Last edited:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
From the top finish it looks to me as if the soap bar cover has been on for a long time, but the body has never been fitted with a dog ear P90. I think you have a transition model, because if that guitar was retro-fitted with a soap bar pickup, someone went to a hell of a lot of trouble to get the right era and look pickup. Have a look at the solder join where the pickup meets the volume pot. I'm going to guess it looks untouched.

Relatively sharp edged for a 1959 body, but from the serial number it may have even been that they were using up an earlier body than most at the time. I mean it's early, but not like first 2 weeks of January...

It all looks a bit too "right" for there to be anything other than an interesting production story in my opinion.

Liam

themollusk79

Reaction score
From the top finish it looks to me as if the soap bar cover has been on for a long time, but the body has never been fitted with a dog ear P90. I think you have a transition model, because if that guitar was retro-fitted with a soap bar pickup, someone went to a hell of a lot of trouble to get the right era and look pickup. Have a look at the solder join where the pickup meets the volume pot. I'm going to guess it looks untouched.

Relatively sharp edged for a 1959 body, but from the serial number it may have even been that they were using up an earlier body than most at the time. I mean it's early, but not like first 2 weeks of January...

It all looks a bit too "right" for there to be anything other than an interesting production story in my opinion.

Liam
Yep, solder joints are completely untouched. Just got a look at the pot codes and they are 41st week of '58.

I agree with your assessment, and I think what we have here is just a more unique example of an early '59. I will NGD her once she's been reassembled! :cool:

WayneLawKid

Reaction score
Here is another frame of reference. This one looks very close to mine:

Yup, that's still in my arsenal. And yours has the same sharper-edged body contours as mine. There are other examples of 59' Juniors out there with these specs, and a soapbar P90 instead of a dog ear. Hope you're enjoying it!

themollusk79

Reaction score
Yup, that's still in my arsenal. And yours has the same sharper-edged body contours as mine. There are other examples of 59' Juniors out there with these specs, and a soapbar P90 instead of a dog ear. Hope you're enjoying it!
Enjoying it is an understatement. That Soap Bar is a flamethrower. Output is 9.2! :eek2:

mr.coleslaw

Reaction score
No differece compared to my 58 soapbar P90. Do you have a blacklight ? If yes you easily can testify if it’s vintage or not.

themollusk79

Reaction score
No differece compared to my 58 soapbar P90. Do you have a blacklight ? If yes you easily can testify if it’s vintage or not.
It's been blacklighted and verified. Solder joints all untouched. Pots dated October '58. I have closed the book on this beauty! :cool:

Last edited:

Latest Threads