Help: what wood do you think this is?

Tomer

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm a rookie guitar builder and I would be happy for your help. Got these large slabs of wood in a yard sale, the owners didn't know what wood it is. As they recalled it came from a disassembled bed, which made me assume its pine or beech.

Edit:
Hi everyone! Thanks for all your responses.i took your advice, cut one of the slabs and roughly sanded it. Looks very different, it's now quite obvious to me that it was covered in some sort of lacquer or stain. So - here are new shots, maybe those would give a more informative view. In the picture with 2 pieces on the table the right is before sanding and left is after

What do you think?
20200714_150831.jpg
20200714_150805.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

larryguitar

Reaction score
No idea on #2; looks discolored or stained? #1 is not pine, IMHO. Looks like a light piece of Luan, or something similar?

Larry

cherrick

Reaction score
Not pine.
Were these slats in the bed or pieces of the frame? Most likely slats.
If that's the case, they might be cheap paint-grade maple.
Can you measure the density? Weight / Volume. Like Pounds per cubic inch.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Looks like great first or second guitar build wood to me! I've actually made a few guitars from pine/fir/etc. There's nothing wrong with it. I once built an entire guitar from a single white pine 2x4 just for fun (fretboard included!). It played and sounded great. Make something out of it and you'll learn much more than searching about whatever it is on the internet.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
Those are horrible pictures. Maybe wash them, show end grain, and better quality close up pics of each. What are the sizes? Pine and Beech are radically different woods. Beech can be about 3x as hard as pine. Is a hardwood. Where as pine is softwood. Pick it up. If it's heavy, it's not pine.

I would say Maple and Douglas Fir but it is really hard to go by those pics. That would be my guess if I were to find those in my area.

Cheers Peter.

moreles

Reaction score
Can't tell much from those pictures which show nothing. I would guess Doug. Fir and crappy maple or birch or something else closer grained for the reddish piece. I would not myself invest considerable time and effort, which have great value, in making a guitar out of crap wood. Pinecasters are currently popular -- possibly, a fad, since they've been around forever but are somehow cool now -- but more are crappy than great, because not all pine is created equal.

Tomer

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Edited the first post and added some pictures after cutting and sanding. Hope now they make more sense?

scatter lee

Reaction score
if it smells like pine it might be pine, if it smells like maple it might be maple, smells like cedar, might be, that's how i usually tell

kinda looks like some cypress i had, someone needs to make a scratch and sniff wood id book

Last edited:

Latest Threads