Help! What’s causing this sound?

Coz92

Reaction score
So I’ve been learning and teaching myself a bit more about setting up a guitar (basic stuff, action height, truss rod, intonation, pickup height) and I’ve noticed a lot of improvement in how it plays and have started to notice certain settings that I prefer it to play and sound, I’ve got a pretty good relationship with my local store owner who seems to be quite an experienced luthier and he’s given me a lot of advice on starting settings and how to’s. But since doing so I’ve picked up on a sound my electric makes that’s more noticeable when playing it acoustically, it seems to be the worst on the 14th and 16th frets on the g string, which I’ve also taken a short recording of so you can all hear it (link below), I’m open to being wrong however I don’t think it’s fret buzz, it sounds more like something’s loose somewhere around the bridge.
Guitar is an Epiphone LP Goth Studio I bought around 2005 - 2006. Any help is appreciated and if anyone could give me a run down on their process for setting intonation I’d love to hear it! I don’t quite feel like I have that right at the moment, thanks for reading!

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the string is choking out very slightly on a higher fret.

if the action is good everywhere you may just have a slightly high fret. I’d get a fret rocker and check they are all level

if everything is level you could raise the bridge very slightly and see if it goes away.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with Skyjerk.

After hearing the recording, you've got some clearly ringing, and some who are being dulled by being too close to the next fret.

For diagnostic purposes, raise the bridge by a fair amount, just to increase the string angle and lift it off that next fret when you press the string on the previous fret. Follow me? This is not the cure all, it's just to diagnose.

If it goes away, then likely what you need to do is a fret level, re-crown and polish. That should cure your ills and allow you to lower the action without having to deal with these bothersome choked notes.

Or, as Skyjerk said, you could raise the bridge just a bit and see if it goes away, and see if you can work with the action in that height.

Coz92

Reaction score
Thanks guys, makes sense, I’ll lift it up gradually and see if it goes away.

Latest Threads