Help w/ Pickups? Modern Gibsons have wider bridge (SD Humbucker or Trembucker)?

Niloy63

Reaction score
So I just found out that many modern day Gibsons have a wider spaced bridge pickups than the neck due to the TOM bridges (498T = 2 1/16" pole spacing; 490R = 1 15/16" pole spacing). Apparently, this is similar, but not the same as F-spaced. The Duncan site suggests string spacing >50mm is better suited for Trembuckers (TB-5), while <50mm is better for Humbuckers.

Following this suggestion, I'm supposed to get a Trembucker, but my research has shown numerous sources suggesting that different spacings b/w the two have negligible effect on tonal quality. Is this true? Because I want to get chrome covers to maintain the chrome themed hardware on my LP, and I'm having a REALLY hard time finding chrome pickup covers that'll fit the Trembucker... Greasy Grove chrome covers are too small, and the closest Duncan offers is Nickel.

Please offer me your advise/knowledge on the matter...

Thank You!
Niloy

ps - I'm replacing the neck 490R with a SD Pearly Gates (SH-PG1)

splatter

Reaction score
I had a 50mm WCR darkburst in my LP axcess which has a floyd rose and should of had the 53mm(f spaced ) the reason was because at the time I ordered them WCR didn't offer f spaced . Any way I never noticed any ill affects from having the wrong spacing .I now have a f spaced BK RY in the bridge and there is no difference caused by the spacing .
Also don't really know why Gibson does this with those pups .I bought a LPCC for Christmas and it had 57 classics in it which Gibson puts in alot of guitars . With 57 classics unless 1 on them is a 57+ ( these weren't ) they are the exact same pup for the neck and the bridge . So gibson sells brand new guitars with 50mm pups in the neck and bridge position . I don't see a need to order an f spaced pup for the bridge.

Niloy63

Reaction score
I had a 50mm WCR darkburst in my LP axcess which has a floyd rose and should of had the 53mm(f spaced ) the reason was because at the time I ordered them WCR didn't offer f spaced . Any way I never noticed any ill affects from having the wrong spacing .I now have a f spaced BK RY in the bridge and there is no difference caused by the spacing .
Also don't really know why Gibson does this with those pups .I bought a LPCC for Christmas and it had 57 classics in it which Gibson puts in alot of guitars . With 57 classics unless 1 on them is a 57+ ( these weren't ) they are the exact same pup for the neck and the bridge . So gibson sells brand new guitars with 50mm pups in the neck and bridge position . I don't see a need to order an f spaced pup for the bridge.
Thank you VERY much for your detailed response, my friend. You saved me a lot of wasted time and hassle!:applause: I sincerely appreciate it. The SH-5b/SH-PG1n it is!