Help w Classic 60s, Pics.

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is at a local shop/luthier in town. Couple questions, how do you decipher the "inked" serial numbers? Were the "amber" inlays only done on certain models/years ? And lastly what would the consensus be on a value ?

The wood, while not flashy , looks much better in person. Neck feels good, good weight /balance etc. Looks virtually new except some minor scratches on back that I'm not concerned with.

Any how here are the pics , gonna make them an offer next week.

Screenshot_20211011-195754_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211011-195713_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211011-195614_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211011-195725_Gallery.jpg

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
This is at a local shop/luthier in town. Couple questions, how do you decipher the "inked" serial numbers? Were the "amber" inlays only done on certain models/years ? And lastly what would the consensus be on a value ? ...
The Classic 60s are nice guitars, and yours in questions has a beautiful plain top. It has the ceramic pickup 496R/500T which are polarizing to many players (I love them, personally), along with the highly colored trap inlays. There is no chambering, I am pretty sure, which -- to me -- is also a good thing. The guitar should also have the black Gibson USA case. If everything is complete and original on the guitar then $1400-1800 is a fair range. If they want more than $1800, remind them that Guitar Center has it Rocktober sale going on with LP Std-60s going for (in store price, not Internet) $2100. Let us know how this all turns out.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Classic 60s are nice guitars, and yours in questions has a beautiful plain top. It has the ceramic pickup 496R/500T which are polarizing to many players (I love them, personally), along with the highly colored trap inlays. There is no chambering, I am pretty sure, which -- to me -- is also a good thing. The guitar should also have the black Gibson USA case. If everything is complete and original on the guitar then $1400-1800 is a fair range. If they want more than $1800, remind them that Guitar Center has it Rocktober sale going on with LP Std-60s going for (in store price, not Internet) $2100. Let us know how this all turns out.
totally agree
496r/500t are my favorite pups on earth..
at low [guitar] volume, the tones u can get are so cool while letting the amp drive the actual volume…
especially the neck 496r….most underrated pup I’ve ever Seen…

-chris

BDW60

Reaction score
One thing I notice now ..

I don’t like seeing any saddles maxed out. If those two or three saddles are maxed with 10s for example, that guitar probably won’t intonate if you want to change to 9s or 9.5s. Even if you flip the saddles. Been down this road. If you like the gauge that’s on it and won’t ever want to change, obviously it’s not a factor.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I can tell you for certain that the nut sure looks untouched from the factory - generally those are reworked to suit players needs after the sale - your nut in pic is factory untouched. Strings are sitting high and proud.

not so sure about the missing truss rod cover screw - that seems odd to me

RMLamey

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
With help of the posts here I'm probagonna pass and focus on another lp. Thanks!

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
With help of the posts here I'm probagonna pass and focus on another lp. Thanks!
new classics are my favorite guitar on earth…

2018 was awesome because u could get a new bound goldtop with p90s for under $2k
a rare thing
my 18 goldtop classic is bananas….
the new ones have zebras and all sorts of cool features…

classsics are my favorite model

-chris

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Why? Is the seller asking too much? The Classic is the unsung hero of the LP line. Better than most Standards, IMHO?

I've been playing them since they were first introduced, and am yet to play a bad one.

jbash

Reaction score
I've had a few classics over the years. If you can deal with the snots (I can) and the necks (I can't) then older Classics are a great value. Especially nice are the early 90s models (which are really going up).

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn’t trade my number 1 for anything…I love the green inlays…
I occasionally let them spend the afternoon with the Texas sun hitting them in autumn especially…
they are almost 3 dimensional

I pass over some very exceptional models in my stable to play the classic nearly every day

i truly can’t tell u how undear-appreciated the model is….especially during the “ceramic” and “snot” era….which I find laughable fwiw

again, i use the amp to drive the actual volume and keep the guitars low…using the tone to get an unimaginable amount of “iconic” lester sounds…well, iconic to me ha

-chris

Latest Threads