Help to identify these pickups? - Solved

alane011

Reaction score
Hi,
I just posted a NGD for my Warren Haynes reissue and I was told by the pickup covers looked old ( rather than relic'd) so I went ahead and pulled them.
Original thread

The assumption when I bought it was Burstbuckers 1 &2 as per the Gibson WH run specs. I tested the readings - 8.14 bridge and 7.66 neck.
Looks like they might be PAF but I have no experience with PAFs. The bridge label is almost gone but you can make out "Patent applied"
I know the wire is supposed to be a certain braid but I cant tell.

Regards,
Andy
Neck1.jpg Neck2.jpg Neck3.jpg Bridge2.jpg Bridge1.jpg

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
These are modern Gibson pickups. They still use the PAF stickers, often "aged" or torn up for an "authentic" look.

Readings are very typical for the BB1/2 set.

edit- Many other repros also use PAF stickers...so possibly they are some clones.

alane011

Reaction score
These are modern Gibson pickups. They still use the PAF stickers, often "aged" or torn up for an "authentic" look.

Readings are very typical for the BB1/2 set.

edit- Many other repros also use PAF stickers...so possibly they are some clones.
Thanks - I thought that too about the readings. But I was expecting to see the white label BB sticker as well. The font of the BB pickups I found online looks different.

jbash

Reaction score
Thanks - I thought that too about the readings. But I was expecting to see the white label BB sticker as well. The font of the BB pickups I found online looks different.
I've seen them with and without the white stickers. I used to buy the aftermarket BB1/2 sets and they did not have the white stickers. Some (older) 57s I've owned didn't have the white stickers either. I'm guessing for historic models, they probably don't put the white identifier stickers on because it would just look wrong. Someone more knowledgeable about these could chime in.

alane011

Reaction score
I've seen them with and without the white stickers. I used to buy the aftermarket BB1/2 sets and they did not have the white stickers. Some (older) 57s I've owned didn't have the white stickers either. I'm guessing for historic models, they probably don't put the white identifier stickers on because it would just look wrong. Someone more knowledgeable about these could chime in.
I googled 2014 Burstbucker and its the same label/font. The torn/worn one def threw me and its likely the original owner peeled off the white label when he swapped the cover and pole pieces. Thanks for your help!

Latest Threads