Help spotting fake

Quantum

Reaction score
Hello, I want to purchase this guitar but the seller took it into Guitar Center and they told him it was a fake. With all my fake knowledge i can't help but think this is actually a real Custom job. I know it can be forged but the serial number checks out here: http://www.guitardat...org/gibson.aspx

Also, truss rod cover has 2 screws, not 3. The logo is damn near perfect. Even if it's a fake, it still plays really well - so I am curious. Could the cat at Guitar Center be wrong? Thanks in advance!

UdS4b.jpg

bHz2a.jpg

TedyP.jpg

xDXHr.jpg

OXrKG.jpg

James Dean

Reaction score
Atrocious string job there... for heavens sake.

The TRC is supposed to have two screws...
Contact Gibson with the serial, that should kill any questions you may have.
Also, that website can't be trusted. Seriously... we hate that site here.
The pound sign looking thing on the headstock is too small, and the inlays aren't correct as well.

EDIT: Just had a second look. The headstock is a dead giveaway.

Second Edit: It's illegal to knowingly buy/sell fakes. We like to report 'em when they're found on ebay, craigslist, etc... It's quite a good time.

Final edit (I promise): Welcome to the forum.
Here's the real thing:
31U-482_headstock-front.jpg

Naukuga

Reaction score
Just because the numbers follow the gibson pattern doesn't mean that the serial is legit.

Looks like a chineese knock off to me

BillB1960

Reaction score
Yes the "cat at Guitar Center" could be wrong. Is he? Nope, not this time.

Kalz

Reaction score
guitar shape is off ( could be picture angle ), the knobs are not aligned, the poker chip is not centered correctly, the custom inlay is too small, the sides of the headstock are too straight, screw on the pickgaurd is too close to the edge, and if my eyes arent bad it loosk to me like the bridge is wrong as well (metric).

list goes on

welcome to mlp :thumb:

Flying_Milkman

Reaction score
Jumpin on the "it's fake" train. The upper body curve looks so wonky it's ridiculous.

James Dean

Reaction score
The decal on the headstock is almost always too small on the fake customs, like we see here.

Hap Hazzard

Reaction score
Fake 100%

Headstock shape and size, TRC wrong, split diamond inlay wrong, FB looks like rosewood, body proportions off, just to name what I can see from the pics.

Quantum

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I will pass on it. I was hoping I would get a custom piece for a chinese price but alas - it was too good to be true :)

BillB1960

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I will pass on it. I was hoping I would get a custom piece for a chinese price but alas - it was too good to be true :)

Hang on! Don't go away! I just got a letter from a woman whose long lost uncle in Nigeria left her $5 million US dollars in a bank account that she needs help from someone in the US to get. I currently have my assets tied up in oceanfront property in Arizona plus I'm negotiating a deal on a big orange bridge in San Franciso but I'd be happy to give you her info. I'm sure she'd appreciate the help! :thumb:

workerunit

Reaction score
I say it is a fake, for reasons stated by others also, the pickup ring mounting screws should be black, not shiney......of course I could be wrong.....:)

Reaction score
Certainly a fake, BUT.....Whoever put the strings on needs their ass kicked.

James Dean

Reaction score
Hang on! Don't go away! I just got a letter from a woman whose long lost uncle in Nigeria left her $5 million US dollars in a bank account that she needs help from someone in the US to get. I currently have my assets tied up in oceanfront property in Arizona plus I'm negotiating a deal on a big orange bridge in San Franciso but I'd be happy to give you her info. I'm sure she'd appreciate the help! :thumb:

I have a Swiss bank account that may interest you...

Latest Threads