Help rewiring my 80s Burny Custom.

Matty

Reaction score
Hi all, I,m about to rewire my Burny as it has a few electronic issues, scratchy output jack and pickup selector switch, so I thought I would do the job properly.

Has anyone got the definative parts list of top quality components, including wire type and guage, any tips or tricks or any potential pitfalls to avoid. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm in Australia if anyone knows of a good online store for the parts.

I will be installing medium output humbuckers if that makes any difference, and wiring 50s style, not interested in coil tapping or anything fancy, just straight up top shelf Les Paul goodness.:dude:

I'm aware of the different shaft sizes between metric (MIJ) and imperial (CTS and others) pots so will I need to get some new knobs to suit, or is there a work around? Any other differences?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just keen to do the job properly.

Thanks in advance, Mont.

slapshot

Reaction score
braided shielded wire
LP switchcraft toggle shorty + tip to suit
switchcraft jack
2 caps (orange drop,PIO)

pot upgrade is optional.some I do some I don't but I always get rid of that little green tic tac cap.

if you go with CTS or Bourns pots you'll have to enlarge the hole in the top,get new pointers & knobs.may as well knobs are cheap.

ebay,stew mac,guitarpartsresource,members here sell harnesses ect

tonebone

Reaction score
Look into Alpha pots. They're not as tight as CTS, and I think a lot of MIJ came with them.

And don't fall for the "CTS are better than Alpha" crap. They're just different, unless you buy those super pots by CTS. I hear those are better.

Matty

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.
Couple more questions though, with MIJ Burnies do I need long or short shaft pots?
And are paper in oil caps worth the extra coin?
Cheers, Mont.

slapshot

Reaction score
1.long
2.subjective.i prefer orange drops though.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
if you go with CTS or Bourns pots you'll have to enlarge the hole in the top,get new pointers & knobs.

if you go with CTS, then use a round file to enlarge the holes, and not a drill.

Matty

Reaction score
Thanks for the repiies gents, much appreciated.

slapshot

Reaction score
who's got time for a file??
2 seconds with the Dewalt and yer back screwin pots in

Latest Threads