Help picking new amp

Jimi03

Reaction score
So im trying to pick a new amp and idk which amp i want. I got the sv20c sent to me with the ps1 power soak and it sounded so damn dark the ps1 sounded bad on my black magick reverb too, its going back. So im looking into keepijg the sv20c plexi maybe and get the "jhs little black box" aparently its a master volume if you have a effects loop. Anyone have any advice about the jhs pedal?

The tone im going for is the song remains the same the pagey tone. I have about $2k to spend at sweetwater. Here's a list of what amps im wondering about:

Morgan mvp23 combo
Morgan ac20 combo
Marshall sv20c
Marshall 2525c jubilee
Vox ac15 handwired
Tone king falcon grande...(i herd this amp has a valco supro amp voicing?)

I also live in an apartment and im trying to find an amp that sounds good at low volume thats mid powered if i can find it.

I love old valcos i really like the sundragon and i really like pages live tone so if anyone has any suggestions id really appreciate it as im trying to get this taken care of asap. Tks in advance

bluesguitar1972

Reaction score
I've really liked Tone Kings I've played through, but haven't tried the one you mention. The Vox AC15 handwired has precious little clean head room, and I found it rather meh, especially given the cost.

AussieDave

Reaction score
The way I achieved Pagetone was with a Marshall SC20H. 20-5 watt switchable with master /tone/gain control for low volume. It can be room volume or stupid loud through a quad box. They are a very mid sounding amp. It’s a JCM800. Also add a Chasetone secret preamp pedal and you are there. I’m a huge Page /Zep fan and I can make the Live sound easy. Hope this helps.

Reactions: tzd

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been happy with my JHS LBB and my SV20H. It allows me to play my amp at home. Have not noticed it darkening my sound. Your going to be reigning it in at 5 watts in an apartment.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Phaez Sibly is designed to capture the exact tone you're seeking (SIBLY stands for Since I've Been Loving You). Can't get it through Sweetwater, but for two grand Randy could build you a monster amp with that voicing.

E.T.

Reaction score
+1 for have someone build you an amp! The world needs more handbuilt amps.

I'm not sure the breakup characteristics would be the same as a Plexi on any of the 20W Marshalls, using the output tubes at 40% of rated power, unless they've done something fancy to the heater voltages or put a permanent power brake in them.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
A modeler with headphones and you can take the word "apartment" out of the equation.

Unless of course there's some good stuff between the walls.

tzd

Reaction score
If what you need is the tone of the SV20 with volume knob cranked, but at a volume suitable for your apartment, you should look into replacing the speaker cabinet with the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X ($599) plus HeadRush FRFR 108 ($229). That will get you the mic'ed tone of the amp that you can turn down to a volume that works for you.

Jimi03

Reaction score
If what you need is the tone of the SV20 with volume knob cranked, but at a volume suitable for your apartment, you should look into replacing the speaker cabinet with the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X ($599) plus HeadRush FRFR 108 ($229). That will get you the mic'ed tone of the amp that you can turn down to a volume that works for you.
Im new to the atenuator with the made up cab sims or something.

I dont have a computer set up to hook my gear up to....kinda more old school i guess....maybe you can explain what you mean ?

tzd

Reaction score
Im new to the atenuator with the made up cab sims or something.

I dont have a computer set up to hook my gear up to....kinda more old school i guess....maybe you can explain what you mean ?
With the Captor X you will at least need to use a phone app (iOS or Android) to select the cabinet and configure mic placement, but once that is configured you do not need to hook up to a computer to use it.

You basically replace your speaker cabinet with the Captor X. Captor X provides a reactive load so your amp still thinks it's connected to a speaker cabinet. It takes the signal that your amp is sending to the speaker, and runs it through its IR (cabinet emulator), and outputs that as an audio signal that you can plug into headphone or a Studio Monitor or PA Speaker (such as Headrush FRFR 108), which you can dial to as soft or as loud as you want.

Jimi03

Reaction score
Jimi03, I'm currently running a pair of SV20C's. I run a stereo Ernie Ball 25k volume pedal in the effects loops. Fully variable master volume at your feet. At smaller gigs, I run one combo and one side of the same volume pedal. I have also used a homebrew pedal that toggles between a 10k pot and wide open.

I also have a 2525C that's on your list. That amp can be cool if you take the time to dial it in. No overdrive pedals needed at all. Cream and scream.
Does the 2525c so the 72 page thing?

What do you think of the 10's in the combo?

Jimi03

Reaction score
Also i forgot to mention my pedals are... chase tone secret preamp, dunlop echoplex delay and i got a catalinbread RAH and when i plug into the sv20c i cant get anything but a bad tone with the catalinbread and the other pedals are really loud

AussieDave

Reaction score
What pedal goes onto the loop and which goes into the front? What guitar are you playing? Also have you jumpered the inputs?

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my little rig. Not sure if it’s any help, but I’m definitely enjoying it while the wife and kids are sleeping. I need to put the delay in the loop. I’ve been trying different things, haven’t had any volume issues yet with my pedals.
B61C9BCC-9642-4BA2-9B13-BFD14973AC88.jpeg
4C3D6DED-FE84-47AA-A4B0-3035E17A63C3.jpeg

Jimi03

Reaction score
Well i sent the marshall sv20c back to sweetwater. The only thing i guess i can think of is i guess it sounded like shit because of the 10" Celestion. Idk why they wouldn't use a 12" at almost 2k i want a 12"

So im thinking about the morgan mvp23 combo. They said it does a 18watt bluesbreaker and a black face fender when clean. Anyone have this amp? Will it do the 72 live zep sound?

Also the tone king falcon grande does anyone know if it actually does the valco supro tone?

PRSWILL

Reaction score
Lots of great choices in that price range. I really like the Mesa 525 Express and my Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister. Both have wattage variances ( down to 1 watt for the H&K and 5 for the Mesa) that will keep the volumes down without the need for a power soak. The H&K set-up can be had with the pedal and cabinet config for right around $ 2,000 all in. The Mesa is less. Both have an effects loop and lots of switching options.
Have fun!

Cory

Reaction score
You should check out the Friedman 20w amps - I’ve never personally played any of them, but from what I read they have really great master volumes and sound good at any level - price wise they are well under your budget too.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have the SV20C. I think the speaker sounds quite good even though it's a 10".

I attenuate it even for practices and gigs. It's a non master volume amp that has to be cranked to get in the zone you want. I don't use it at home. IMO attenuating that much kinda defeats the purpose.

If I was buying one for home use/ gigging, I think I'd have bought the SC20C. It has a master volume.

I used to have a 4010, it was a monster. I think a 20 watt JCM800 is a great idea.

zdoggie

Reaction score
I haven't looked at different amps since I got my fuchs ODSII fuchs makes some low powered amps also .

zdog

Latest Threads