Help pick .

colett

Reaction score
I want to buy a new Gibson les paul and i cant decided on the standard 50s or the slash standard ,

jskidder

Reaction score
I'd go Standard 50s. There just isn't enough to justify a $500 premium for the Slash unless you just have to have one of the limited colors.

redking

Reaction score
50's and Slash models have the same neck profile from what I understand. I guess you need to determine whether his signature on the back is worth $500.

Gitter

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of signature guitars (yes, I know a Les Paul technically is one, but Les invented the thing) but the Slash models have AAA tops and what many consider, better pickups. They also come in different finishes. You can get a Standard 50's model with a AAA top from exclusive retailers with a $300 upcharge. You'd still be $200 less than the Slash but without the "custom" wound pickups. What matters is what is most important to you and your budget.

jskidder

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of signature guitars (yes, I know a Les Paul technically is one, but Les invented the thing) but the Slash models have AAA tops and what many consider, better pickups. They also come in different finishes. You can get a Standard 50's model with a AAA top from exclusive retailers with a $300 upcharge. You'd still be $200 less than the Slash but without the "custom" wound pickups. What matters is what is most important to you and your budget.
The AA vs AAA is nonsense based on my experience (and the upcharge is only $200). I've seen a whole lot of regular 50s and 60s Standards with much nicer tops than on the Slash or AAA examples. And vice versa. You really have to evaluate the individual guitar and ignore the rating if that kind of stuff matters to you.

Personally, I'd say the best model to get is a Wildwood Select 50s. They retail for $300 more but can be had for a discount, and the 59 Tributes beat the Slashbuckers and Burstbuckers both. The tops are only technically AA, but they're hand-selected and look consistently better than anything I've seen on other models. Unfortunately, WW is only doing 60s at the moment so it might be a while before they start getting 50s models back in stock.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of slash, he is 1 out of 2 famous guitarists that inspired me to play 20 years ago...

But I wouldn't pay $500 (20%) extra for his signature model. There aren't enough upgrades to justify the price change. I would take the 50's standard instead

The only objective upgrade is the AAA top vs AA on the standard... but if you choose carefully enough, you can find a top that is as pretty as any AAA

Last edited:

Gitter

Reaction score
The AA vs AAA is nonsense based on my experience (and the upcharge is only $200). I've seen a whole lot of regular 50s and 60s Standards with much nicer tops than on the Slash or AAA examples. And vice versa. You really have to evaluate the individual guitar and ignore the rating if that kind of stuff matters to you.

Personally, I'd say the best model to get is a Wildwood Select 50s. They retail for $300 more but can be had for a discount, and the 59 Tributes beat the Slashbuckers and Burstbuckers both. The tops are only technically AA, but they're hand-selected and look consistently better than anything I've seen on other models. Unfortunately, WW is only doing 60s at the moment so it might be a while before they start getting 50s models back in stock.
It's not nonsense. Sure, some AAA are weak and some AA look fantastic, but I disagree that it's nonsense. IMO, the tops on the Slash models look consistently better than the regular Standard series. Just because you may be able to cherry pick out some that are lame doesn't change that. The Wildwood $300 upcharge is in fact what was on my mind as I typed (I was just on their website), so yes - Sweetwater, AMS/Zounds only charge $200 more but I think most of us can agree that Wildwood gets choice stuff. As far as evaluating a guitar, I never let a rating or someone's opnion sway me and I'd never buy one of these sight unseen. I'm simply saying that most do look better. That doesn't mean every single one is a winner and appeals to me or you or the next guy.

jskidder

Reaction score
It's not nonsense. Sure, some AAA are weak and some AA look fantastic, but I disagree that it's nonsense. IMO, the tops on the Slash models look consistently better than the regular Standard series. Just because you may be able to cherry pick out some that are lame doesn't change that. The Wildwood $300 upcharge is in fact what was on my mind as I typed (I was just on their website), so yes - Sweetwater, AMS/Zounds only charge $200 more but I think most of us can agree that Wildwood gets choice stuff. As far as evaluating a guitar, I never let a rating or someone's opnion sway me and I'd never buy one of these sight unseen. I'm simply saying that most do look better. That doesn't mean every single one is a winner and appeals to me or you or the next guy.
Perhaps arbitrary is a better word. But if you get down to it, trying to quantify anything as subjective as the appearance of a piece of wood is pretty much a nonsense concept in general.

PauloQS

Reaction score
If possible go try them out and go with the one that plays or sounds better to you. The used market on the Slash is pretty interesting right now. I'm seeing some listed as low as $2,200, but most are selling for the $2,500 ballpark, which is where I'd expect them to be. Like @Gitter mentioned, there are some AAA store exclusive Standards available at the moment with un up-charge of $200 to $300 relative to the regular AA depending on the retailer. Thus, the up-charge of the Slash Standard is more about $200 to $300 if we compare it to the AAA Standards.

Regarding the Neck profile, when the Slash models were announced, someone, maybe Slash himself, made the mistake of saying they came with a different neck profile than the Standard '50s. They are not different, but the same profile. I have owned two different Standard '50s and I still own a Slash Standard. The last Standard '50s I just sold this last weekend because I had 5 LPs and wanted to upgrade my SG to a custom shop SG. I'm still a bit heartbroken about the Standard '50s, though. Anyways, the necks not only feel the same to the Slash Standard, but also measured similar depths. I conjecture, Gibson used the neck on the 2018 Slash Standard limited run on the Standard '50s and because the Standard '50s was a relative new model when the current line of Slash Standards came out there was that neck incorrect info circling around.

I already had this discussion before, thus, take my word with a grain of salt and go check for yourself. In my personal experience, I found it much easier to find Slash Standards weighing in the sub 9lbs range, which is what you find among R9's, than I had finding Standard '50s. That is not to say that I haven't found sub 9lbs Standard '50s and '60s, which I have numerous times. However, in my experience looking at these guitars, I had a harder time finding Standard '50s and '60s in the sub 9lbs category relative to Slash Standards. I'm not checking Slash and Standard '50/'60s listings every day like I used to, but back when I was, every day I could find several listings with sub 9lbs Slash Standards, but I cannot say the same for Standard '50s and '60s. I conjecture that the lighter Standard body blanks are being picked for the Slash guitars. Again this is a conjecture. Just as there was that conjecture circling around that the lighter body blanks were being used on the Standard, while the heavier ones on guitars that would be weight relieved and hence why Classics, which a weight relieved, and Standard '50s and '60s looked to average same weight.

And before someone chimes in arguing that weight does or doesn't matter for sound, it does matter for shoulders. Also while in the '70s guitars were heavier anchors, LPs from the late '50s and 1960 were closer in weight to what we get from custom shop reissues. My interest in the lighter guitar has nothing to do with tone, but after I started taking my reissues to band practices and jam sessions, I can't say I prefer the heavier ones.

Lastly, and this is purely a vanity thing, as a pickguard off guy, I prefer my guitar to be shipped with the pickguard off. I know the screw holes are tiny, but I always know they are there. One of the things I loved about the 2017 lineup is how clean LPs looked without all the unnecessary plastics. I love that the Slash Standards ship with un-mounted pickguards.

Lex

Reaction score
I picked up a Slash Standard husk in the November Burst finish. I am not a Slash fan guy (I do think he is a ripping, amazing player) , so any Slash-y benefits vs. cost did not factor into my decision to buy this particular guitar. I simply chose the Slash model because I really like tobacco sunbursts... and the darker stain on the back is lovely. I think it is a handsome color combo. Floats my boat.

I rarely buy guitars without playing first. I did not know what to expect. The guitar I received actually blew me away. Really. I've had 10 Historic LPs, and a sweeeeet replica. This Slash Standard is the balls. If the '50s standards are this good... you can't lose, whatever model you decide.

I am obviously waiting on some bits and pieces to arrive via post.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
If you want to be somewhat unique and like Slash get one! If you could care less and can find the color you want buy that.

bungle

Reaction score
Just recently tried the 50’s,60’s & the Slash models. The Slash was definitely a notch above the other 2 when it came to feel and playability? It was actually the best playing guitar in the store that day. Hard to really compare without them all being set up properly. Goina add there was 2 Slash models that day, the other one felt very similar to the 50 & 60’s models.

colett

Reaction score
I picked a 50s gold top online arriving tomorrow i would rather go the shop but its the only way to get a guitar these days , anyway i have a 14 day return , I picked the 50s over the slash because i am not a big fan of slash, The guitars looked really good but when i compared the slash pickups on utube i wasn't overly excited by them, plus i got a good deal on the 50s so i will probably put that cashed saved to another guitar .

Injector

Reaction score
If you like Slash, tons of flame, unique to the model colours, uncovered pickups and copies of Slash's SD pickups....then get the Slash model. It's worth the extra $500 if you want these features.

If you prefer covered pickups, you're not bothered about a ton of flame and you prefer a more PAF-style tone then get the 50s Standard and save yourself $500.

Latest Threads