HELP! - Overpolishing Les Paul Standard Faded w/ Virtuoso?

VonHagen

Reaction score
New to the forum here, but I've been reading threads for a good 3-4 years. Stumbled across several threads detailing how to polish a Les Paul Standard Faded from it's matte finish to a nicer, soft shine using Virtuoso Guitar Cleaner and Polish.

When I got the opportunity to acquire a faded model for myself, I jumped on the opportunity and promptly ordered a set containing the cleaner and polish to give my guitar the Virtuoso treatment.

DSC_0916_compress99.jpg

I applied about 4-5 coats of the cleaner, and then topped off with 2 coats of the polish. End results were great imo! But when examining under harsh light I now see white residue in the pores of the maple top, likely being caused by the cleaner drying in there.

I also believe I might've polished through the finish in some spots - when I angle the guitar in the light I sometimes see slighly less colorful spots, and what I believe to be wood... But I'm not entirely sure.

My question is basically whether or not I can remove this white residue from the pores of my guitar! I tried using a soft toothbrush on the mahogany sides, which worked fine. No results with the top however. Some people have recommended napthta, but I'm afraid I might've polished through the finish too much for it to be safe.

Some photos of the shine:
19_08286-01_compress29.jpg

DSC_0980_compress48.jpg

DSC_0986_compress64.jpg

DSC_0978_compress77-01_compress7.jpg

DSC_0976_compress19-01_compress92.jpg

Some photos of the residue:
DSC_0989-01_compress31.jpg

19_08300-01_compress38.jpg

Under even harsher flash light:
DSC_1033_compress1.jpg

DSC_1039_compress72.jpg

DSC_1037_compress81.jpg

Last edited:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I have a Fender highway 1 strat in satin nitro but it's properly pore filled. Buffed it looks way better than before. Now it has an ultra shiny ultra thin finish, love it more than the thick full clear coat.
The older Faded Standards also buff nicely.
But on the mahogany parts it's not really been grain filled.

Fritz44

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...... I'm not a 100% sure on this as I've only ever had one satin finish guitar it was one of thosev2014 LPJ s nice enough axe but I wore through the finis on the outer edges in a matter of months. I think anything you do now will only make it worse but hey...it will look cool as hell lol

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I think I would get some Gibson Pump Polish, polish it lightly with that and then leave it alone. The Gibson polish, used sparingly, may remove some of the buildup and even it out. I have owned faded Gibsons and used Pump Polish on them. It works nicely and gently.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don’t see a problem in any of your photos. Faded finishes age fast. Nothing can stop it. It’s either a curse or a thing of beauty depending on how you look at it. Personally I love the faded finishes and embrace the fast onset of age.

VonHagen

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don’t see a problem in any of your photos. Faded finishes age fast. Nothing can stop it. It’s either a curse or a thing of beauty depending on how you look at it. Personally I love the faded finishes and embrace the fast onset of age.
That's nice to hear, bit reassuring. But you don't see any of the white speckles in the harsh light photos?

Dogbreath

Reaction score
My eyes could be getting bad. I would use the Pump Polish. It could cure the problem and won’t hurt your guitar.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
It sucks that it got stuck in the pores, pretty much anything you do short of a pressure wash is just going to push it in further. Maybe blast it with air from a compressor once it’s fully dry?

Best of luck :)

LocoTex

Reaction score
It's not noticeable in the pictures. I would use the cleaner and polish on the top, since it's maple, and just use the polish on the mahogany. My 2014 Melody Maker has the residue on the back but none on the maple top. You really can't see it except in person and really close up. Don't fret about it.

LPTDMSV

Reaction score
You may be able to get the residue out by wiping it over with napthalene?

*five* applications of Virtuoso cleaner?! Next time, try Micromesh?

This is "satin" not "worn* but worth a look:

CerebralGasket

Reaction score

Pictured above, mahogany tops on three different SG.

Faded = unfilled grain
Satin = filled grain
Gloss = filled grain

Faded, Satin, Gloss all have a nitro clear coat, but the Faded finishes do not have the grain filled and leveled prior to the final clear coat.

A Faded finish maple cap is going to have a tighter grain pattern compared to a flat slab of mahogany with a more open grain pattern. Trying to wax a flat slab of mahogany with Faded finish is going to leave dull spots of wax trapped in the pores if buffing by hand with a cloth. Maybe a buffing wheel would be a better option.

Latest Threads