HELP on pickup surrounds for 1974 Les Paul deluxe

Evzy

Reaction score
Good afternoon, this is my first post here and I wanted a bit of help if possible please? I own a beautiful 1974 les Paul gold top that started life out as a deluxe.
The p90s have been replaced with normal humbuckers and the pickup surrounds have and extra bit of plastic around the outside, except one of them is missing from my guitar. I'm trying to locate where I could find a replacement and can't find anything thus far. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll enclose some pics for reference. It's a left handed guitar(not that the matters)

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those are called "Goof Rings"..... was this factory routed?...... I suppose certain dealers could have done the route.

These are hard to find..... some folks here could possibly make some for you..... maybe @HardCore Troubadour might know of someone.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I’ve never seen anything like that for full size PAF’s. There were some rings that fit around the mini humbuckers but those rings fit around a P90 sized hole.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
welcome to MLP...you have come to what i think is the best forum on the net with some of the most knowledgeable people about guitars, gear and alot of other things as well...

whatever someone did there i have not seen before, i would remove the ring from the bridge pickup and forget about the holes as that may show why someone put them on at some point

with an older guitar you will find some interesting mods owners have done.

if you could post some pics with the pickups unscrewed from the guitar, no need to pull them entirely, just enough to see what the heck is goin on there ....maybe someone can give you a better idea and suggestions.

there are alot of guys doing custom pup rings..

i bought a 72 gibson medallion fbird that was routed for humbucks...i put the original pups back in and there obviously is a gap....i searched and found a guy to make a set covering the gap....just have not ordered yet

take the one off from the bridge pup and see if it covers the holes to your liking on the neck pup....if so send off a drawing and have one made identicle to the bridge goof ring...just a thought if those hole bug you...

if it is only a few holes like the neck, i would live with it but its your guitar...do what you like :yesway:

oh forgot to add....you can never post too many pics of anything here :fingersx:

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Those do resemble the goof rings (including the tack mounting) for the mini's in their styling. I wonder if there were a few of those made for full sized humbuckers too??

Either way they were only ever seen in the early 70's. Even authentic 70's ones for minis are going for $200 for the pair.....if you found 1 for a humbucker it could well be that price for 1!!

I'd make something from pickguard material myself.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have rarely seen them around humbuckers and they are usually factory installed,... only example i could find off hand is this ES ???.... barely noticeable,... but you can see them going under the pickguard.

original.jpg

Most common are the P90 or Mini-Humbucker style..... all are early 70's factory install.

du5z4KL.jpg

100_0590%20copy%20f.jpg

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I'd honestly just take the goof hider off and just leave it be. Someone did a bit of a hack job on that guitar, but it's lovely as is.

Besides, If you stick a pickguard on it, half of the holes are going to be out of sight anyway.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I have seen a very small number of goof hiders around full size pups, but not many.....you can find them on ebay from time to time but folks want crazy prices for them, when, in all, they are not much to begin with.

I think the bridge surround is factory...pull the pups, take good clear pics of all routes and cavities and post them.

Keep a watch out On the web....or have you one made (as noted above....most anyone that does custom pickguard etc. etc.),

or just leave it.....do NOT take the bridge surround off, let it be.

How did you decide it was a 74?

Last edited:

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
play this song and tell me they were not awesome...
dude could write badass songs imho

My mother listened to the beegees a lot when I was a kid, so they're a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Was recently surprised when I realized how young they were when they started. Wrote a lot of good songs. That said, I wouldn't really consider doing a double pickguard goldtop.

Also, my wife and I had a bit of a laugh when I pointed out how Barry got all the best genes. Robin and Maurice got screwed there.

Evzy

Reaction score
I have seen a very small number of goof hiders around full size pups, but not many.....you can find them on ebay from time to time but folks want crazy prices for them, when, in all, they are not much to begin with.

I think the bridge surround is factory...pull the pups, take good clear pics of all routes and cavities and post them.

Keep a watch out On the web....or have you one made (as noted above....most anyone that does custom pickguard etc. etc.),

or just leave it.....do NOT take the bridge surround off, let it be.

How did you decide it was a 74?
Thanks for the advice. Cant believe how many kind words of knowledge have appeared on my post. What a great forum!! The dating was made on the serial number on headstock dating it to 74/75 and the capacitors dated 1974. So a guitar collector friend reckons it may of been made end of 74 and released from the factory that year or early 75. I'm kind of hoping its 75, as that's the year I was born. :)

Evzy

Reaction score
welcome to MLP...you have come to what i think is the best forum on the net with some of the most knowledgeable people about guitars, gear and alot of other things as well...

whatever someone did there i have not seen before, i would remove the ring from the bridge pickup and forget about the holes as that may show why someone put them on at some point

with an older guitar you will find some interesting mods owners have done.

if you could post some pics with the pickups unscrewed from the guitar, no need to pull them entirely, just enough to see what the heck is goin on there ....maybe someone can give you a better idea and suggestions.

there are alot of guys doing custom pup rings..

i bought a 72 gibson medallion fbird that was routed for humbucks...i put the original pups back in and there obviously is a gap....i searched and found a guy to make a set covering the gap....just have not ordered yet

take the one off from the bridge pup and see if it covers the holes to your liking on the neck pup....if so send off a drawing and have one made identicle to the bridge goof ring...just a thought if those hole bug you...

if it is only a few holes like the neck, i would live with it but its your guitar...do what you like :yesway:

oh forgot to add....you can never post too many pics of anything here :fingersx:
Thanks for the advice. I'll post some more pics up.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Well the serial numbers in 74-75 were all over the place and while they can help...they do NOT identify the year......

what capacitors were they that identified this as a 74 to you?

the pot dates are a really good tell-all....what are the dates for them?

if you post those pics...we can tell you.

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score

Evzy

Reaction score
Don't know if it'll help, but this seller on Reverb has a bunch of different adapter rings. They might be able to custom make a replacement for you.

Ok thanks I'll check that out. It was originally a deluxe with p90s and obviously when they changed it to humbuckers they've improvised somewhat. Thanks again.

Latest Threads