Help on buying True Historic 58 LP

milesahead

Reaction score
hy there

talking about some LP re-issues from '58 / '59 to my trusted dealer, he told me that the specs would change for the new models, therefore it's the last chance to buy one of these ones, i keep staring at, everytime i enter the store.
(sort of)

in switzerland you don't have that much choices, and seeing the true historic 58 re-issue with a lemon brush finish (a very special nice one) for under 5000 really made me think.
in $ it's 4900. in the gibson shop it's $ 6800.

but i just started thinking about spending that much money on a new guitar.

so i really would like to hear your opinions. i can't afford a real '58 and this is probably as close as i come.
it feels and sounds just right, can't stop thinking, i'm sure to dream of this beauty.

i play a norlin, a very nice '73, special finish, and i love it since the day i got it (back in the 90's) - i'm gonna upload pics, as soon i get to it. and the axe really made me think.
right next to it is a signature model, almost the same finish, of course a bit more shiny and so on, for $10 000.

tell me your opinions on these guitars please and help me decide.

mfolet

Reaction score
If the guitar speaks to you and inspires then your answer is obvious.Go for it

LenPaul

Reaction score
Can't help you decide , all I can say is if the guitar is in your budget then go for it, otherwise it will always be on your mind.

jamman

Reaction score
Agree , a guitar that is good for you ,you like and is waiting for you to buy ,is the 1. Imo , being able to play 1 first gives way to all . the top ,in itself isn't but a part of the bigger picture .
Gibson CS makes very nice guitars ,but not everyone will be the 1 . They are like Women , Lots of beauties out there , but not everyone's personality goes with yours .

I smell a NGD happening soon :thumb:

Rango

Reaction score
Buy the one you like, before it's gone! ;)

milesahead

Reaction score
thanks,
i really think about goin' for that one.
i can afford it, and it would be much fun.

tell you when i did it, leave some pics and such.

cheers

Falconbill

Reaction score
hy there

talking about some LP re-issues from '58 / '59 to my trusted dealer, he told me that the specs would change for the new models, therefore it's the last chance to buy one of these ones, i keep staring at, everytime i enter the store.
(sort of)

in switzerland you don't have that much choices, and seeing the true historic 58 re-issue with a lemon brush finish (a very special nice one) for under 5000 really made me think.
in $ it's 4900. in the gibson shop it's $ 6800.

but i just started thinking about spending that much money on a new guitar.

so i really would like to hear your opinions. i can't afford a real '58 and this is probably as close as i come.
it feels and sounds just right, can't stop thinking, i'm sure to dream of this beauty.

i play a norlin, a very nice '73, special finish, and i love it since the day i got it (back in the 90's) - i'm gonna upload pics, as soon i get to it. and the axe really made me think.
right next to it is a signature model, almost the same finish, of course a bit more shiny and so on, for $10 000.

tell me your opinions on these guitars please and help me decide.
Sounds like you should move on it. Of course, your Norlin will hate you.

mesa1360

Reaction score
Are you sure it's a 2015 True Historic and not a 2014-spec reissue made in 2015?

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a 2015 True Historic and not a 2014-spec reissue made in 2015?

that's what I was going to say. 5K I assume Euros, that's no where near what a True Historic would cost in Europe....

OP if the guitar really speaks to you and you can swing it, do it!

Cav

Reaction score
I also think it's not a 2015 True Historic.
The 2015 R8 TH are nearly 8000 chf here.

(If you're are interested in a good R8, I'm maybe selling my CC28, and I'm also in Switzerland)

Farquad

Reaction score
From the description by your dealer, it does sound like a 2014 model. Nothing wrong with that at all, by the way. If a guitar speaks to you, you must get it. Because if you wait too long, someone else will end up dancing with your girl.

goldtop0

Reaction score
It's a better value for $$ option than a '15 TH......GO FOR IT!!

Actinic

Reaction score
Be wary of new guitar disease. After the honeymoon period wears off, and you critically compare it with your old guitar, or other guitars in your memory, the new instrument will be found to be lacking in some way. If new guitars were such hot sheeit, then all the top ranking guitarists would be playing them, instead of pricey vintage instruments. Don't believe the myth about guitars speaking to you. Very few guitars will actually speak to you, or have the ideal tone at each note position. Even among historics, I see less than a 10% qualification rate for the "keeper" status. It is hard to make a good LP. I have no idea why this is true, but your chances of finding a good ES-335 is five times greater than finding a superb LP. So, keep the Norlin, because it is a known quantity, and the T-top is a better pickup than the Burstbucker variants.

Rodmac

Reaction score
Randy did ok on his Norlin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoweoZ6jpM&feature=player_detailpage

Some Real Tasty Norlin Custom tones here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-KpR9AiVU&feature=player_detailpage

With guitars it comes down to how well you can play pretty much. The latest aint always the greatest.

If you're lusting after another then go for it, but it may not inspire you as much as your trusty old custom. Try it out for a good session and
see how it feels. Through you fav amp would help.

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Without a doubt buying used is cheaper and I've bought my share of used gear.

However, your main deciding factors should be:
1. Can you afford to pay for it (is a good deal or one that you can live with).
2. Does the guitar inspire/move you when you play it.

I bought my R0 brand new and it wasn't exactly cheap. That being said, I don't regret spending a little extra to make sure I got the guitar I love.

Latest Threads