Help needed. Sheared off a screw head in my guitar

ejendres

Reaction score
Title says it all. What would you guys do to get this out? Its a number #5 so its quite small. Protip, Ace Hardware sells shitty screws.

pshupe

Reaction score
Ouch - been there. There was just a thread about this here. There are only a couple of options. Drill it out with a larger bit, but I would recommend a guide block on top.

Stew Mac sells a screw rescue kit. It's way over priced for what it is but you could use it for inspiration. Here is the link and pic - Screw Rescue kit
Capture.JPG

Here's the video to Dan E. using it. VIDEO I wasn't sure what the drill bit was for but it's for drilling holes the same size as the plug cutter.

Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Check out some of the screw extractor kits (EZ Out is one brand) to see if they have the proper size and read the reviews about how well they worked or didn't work.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Can you lock a vise grip on it without scratching the wood under?
Maybe put some tape on the top before clamping the screw.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
^^What he said. Looks like you should be able to grip it with some pliers.
You could also dremel a slot into it and then turn it with a screwdriver.

slug_maine

Reaction score
I would just drill it to get rid of the screw, then drill a clean larger hole for a piece of dowel. Looks like it will be hidden under the bridge, right?

pshupe

Reaction score
^^What he said. Looks like you should be able to grip it with some pliers.
You could also dremel a slot into it and then turn it with a screwdriver.
How could you get a grip on that? Looks like it is 1/16" - 1/8" under the wood. You'd have to take down the wood at least 1/4" to get on it?

Someone should just make a flat drill bit, kinda like a brad point bit without the point and you could use a guide block and drill that out quite easily. That way you wouldn't have to drill too much larger and patch with a larger than needed dowel.

Cheers Peter.

ARandall

Reaction score
Maybe a small punch to make a dent in the screw top.....get a tiny drill hole and slowly expand the hole with larger drills until you've got to size.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
How could you get a grip on that? Looks like it is 1/16" - 1/8" under the wood. You'd have to take down the wood at least 1/4" to get on it?

Someone should just make a flat drill bit, kinda like a brad point bit without the point and you could use a guide block and drill that out quite easily. That way you wouldn't have to drill too much larger and patch with a larger than needed dowel.

Cheers Peter.
Sorry, on my phone it looked like the screw was protruding a little.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Take a piece of 1/8" brass tubing (hobby shop) about 3" long, and on the end of the tubing, cut half of the end away with a dremel and cutting wheel) so it looks like a "C" on the tip.

Chuck that up in your hand drill. Put it over the screw, and cut a slug out of the body.

Replace with a 1/8" dowel.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'd first try a reverse drill bit and see if it'll bite the screw and back it out. I've not had great success with that, personally, but it's the least invasive! What'll probably happen, though, is that is just skips/walks across the jagged screw shaft and tries to drill down into the wood beside it.

Failing that, you've got decent options, b/c it'll be hidden by the bridge plate. I think the hollow bits to drill out around the screw are the best bet, either DIY or ready-made kit versions. Get the screw and surrounding wood out and plug it, redrill and never see it once assembled. The funkier method would be to cut off a screw head and stick it with either glue or solder to the bridge plate for appearances and just mount with three screws. Since it's string-through and not relying on the screws to counter the full upward/twisting pull of the strings, I'm sure three (or even two) screws would hold just fine.

Moving forward, if you've got a particularly dense/hard piece of wood, I'd recommend rubbing your screws across a bar of soap before driving them in for the first time, since the screws are cutting their own threads into the wood. Make sure the screw holes aren't clogged with sawdust/drill shavings that could be getting compressed at the bottom and jamming the screws, too! Stick an old guitar string down there and scrape it around a bit, then give it a good puff of air and/or knock against your palm.

the great waldo

Reaction score
Title says it all. What would you guys do to get this out? Its a number #5 so its quite small. Protip, Ace Hardware sells shitty screws.

Take it to a shop with a cnc machine and ask them to mill the screw out. A carbide mill will cut through that screw without a problem.
Cheers

Andrew

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I was the OP on a similar thread last week. I basically had to drill out the hole with a bigger bit and plug. Mine was in the butt end and will be covered by a Bigsby.

Yours looks like it could be secured and done more easily on a drill press I'd you have one.