HELP NEEDED: Hand Rubbed Stains

Andy475

Reaction score
Hey cooljuk, I recall nuance also suggesting Preval spray bottles. If I used the stains I already have, mixed with a thinner. Wouldn't that do the same job as buying a rattle can? I'm going to leave this for the night (well it's night for me anyhow) and take time to research and contemplate the options I have before me.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
IME, StewMac is never the cheapest, but always excellent quality and service.

I've never finished a guitar with rattle cans, myself, but I've seen it done with great results, plenty. Maybe others who have can chime in. Again, check out YouTube. This info is all out there, already. I seem to remember there being lots of rattle can info on TDPRI, as well.

There are rattle can systems where you can mix your own colors and use a propellent can to spray your custom blends but, for what you're talking about with standard colors, and your first time around, I'd just get the easy pre-made stuff. It's not going to save you money and will only complicate things. Best to keep it simple, as you learn. StewMac is really helpful. I bet if you sent them your photo, they'd tell you exactly how much of what colors and clear, in the pre-mixed cans, you need and will help you out. Great folks, there.

BadMongo

Reaction score
I would not, personally, let the fact that I spent a few bucks on some Stew Mac stains I don't need prevent me from having the finish I want. Don't make a bigger mistake, just because you already made a small one.
This and "buy once, cry once" are extremely good advice for any sort of hobby/crafting/tool-related endeavor. And honestly pretty good life advice in general.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
No, you would not want to use an electric or airless paint sprayer. That's for houses. Stuff where a pebbly surface finish is OK with you. Because that's what you'll get.

As for the way to do stains and dyes....the only way to know which way works for you is to explore and figure out what works for you. And there are plenty of finishing videos on youtube to give you good tips.

On the guitars I've posted photos of previously, dye stains on the wood were done first, any desired shading afterwards would be done with tinted clearcoat after the dye stages are complete and sealed.

Andy475

Reaction score
IME, StewMac is never the cheapest, but always excellent quality and service.

I've never finished a guitar with rattle cans, myself, but I've seen it done with great results, plenty. Maybe others who have can chime in. Again, check out YouTube. This info is all out there, already. I seem to remember there being lots of rattle can info on TDPRI, as well.

There are rattle can systems where you can mix your own colors and use a propellent can to spray your custom blends but, for what you're talking about with standard colors, and your first time around, I'd just get the easy pre-made stuff. It's not going to save you money and will only complicate things. Best to keep it simple, as you learn. StewMac is really helpful. I bet if you sent them your photo, they'd tell you exactly how much of what colors and clear, in the pre-mixed cans, you need and will help you out. Great folks, there.
I just sent an email now, and I think you're right with the whole keeping it simple idea. I am only new to this so complicating things will only make it worse and I'll just see what works for me. Stewmac has this tinted aerosol guitar lacquer that has some colours that would be perfect for what I'm aiming for! However, this time round I'll wait until I'm absolutely sure before I purchase them and once I get some advice form Stewmac and more from youtube, the forum, etc.

There's the Preval spray stuff too, but that would be last resort seeing as there'd be mixing of colours, and thinner's which would be complicated for a first time LP builder let alone finisher:rofl:

The advice and help is really appreciated,
Many thanks,
Andy

Andy475

Reaction score
No, you would not want to use an electric or airless paint sprayer. That's for houses. Stuff where a pebbly surface finish is OK with you. Because that's what you'll get.

As for the way to do stains and dyes....the only way to know which way works for you is to explore and figure out what works for you. And there are plenty of finishing videos on youtube to give you good tips.

On the guitars I've posted photos of previously, dye stains on the wood were done first, any desired shading afterwards would be done with tinted clearcoat after the dye stages are complete and sealed.
I thought as much!

Sorry, just to confirm that you're saying I would lay down the base colour (the brightest:Vintage Amber) and then use the tinted lacquer to shade the burst? Nuance earlier sent through this forum of a guy who sprayed on the burst so I might PM him too and see what he recommends.. Would I do the Cherry Red and then come over with the darkest colour Red Mahogany?

Andy475

Reaction score
I can't order any spray cans from Stewmac, it says that they don't ship outside of the US. Considering I'm in Australia, this is proving to be difficult! I'll look around and see if there's any way I can find some that can ship to my country but this is NOT looking good :(

cmjohnson

Reaction score
There's no definite rule on finish order when it comes to the colors and stains.

Another example: I built this LP in 2001. I used five different colors to get this burst. Yellow Colortone stain in the center, warmed up with amber over it. (I hate pure yellow.) I did NOT yellow stain the outer area of the top because I wanted it to be a true ruby RED, not some shade of orange. I shot tinted red lacquer around the rim (tinted with SEM candy apple red concentrate) and did two additional mixes of red, amber, and yellow, with an airbrush, in stages, to blend them all together in what I still say is one of the most smoothly shaded sunbursts you'll ever see.

DSC_9555_small.jpg

Andy475

Reaction score
There's no definite rule on finish order when it comes to the colors and stains.

Another example: I built this LP in 2001. I used five different colors to get this burst. Yellow Colortone stain in the center, warmed up with amber over it. (I hate pure yellow.) I did NOT yellow stain the outer area of the top because I wanted it to be a true ruby RED, not some shade of orange. I shot tinted red lacquer around the rim (tinted with SEM candy apple red concentrate) and did two additional mixes of red, amber, and yellow, with an airbrush, in stages, to blend them all together in what I still say is one of the most smoothly shaded sunbursts you'll ever see.

View attachment 522794
That is truly a beautiful burst! I really love the flame on it too. You can notice the nice dark colour near around the edge and then the fade all the way up to the centre.

Tomorrow, I'll get a blank piece of maple and try get a really concentrated red mahogany/ cherry red mix and get it as close as possible to the colour I'm aiming for. Seeing as I can't purchase rattle cans. It's either spraying with my mates booth (I found out just an hour ago that he has one!) or settling for a hand rubbed burst which would have to be a last resort option.

I worry that my lack of experience with a spray gun will botch the job, however it would achieve the look I want to go for. It all comes down to risk and reward really, but I haven't done nearly enough research with regards to prepping the wood and whether or not I apply a sealer coat and the order and technique etc.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I am sure that Australia has automotive paint and body shops and stores that provide them with all their paints and supplies. They can probably help you out in some ways. They may have some lacquer products and stains and tints that will work with it.

Andy475

Reaction score
I am sure that Australia has automotive paint and body shops and stores that provide them with all their paints and supplies. They can probably help you out in some ways. They may have some lacquer products and stains and tints that will work with it.
The only place I've found so far is Autobarn who supply Preval stuff but that's all I've found so far. I'll keep looking and posting on this thread. I'll keep on looking

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Some company in your area must surely repair cars after an auto accident. They get their paint supplies from somewhere! Ask them.

Andy475

Reaction score
Some company in your area must surely repair cars after an auto accident. They get their paint supplies from somewhere! Ask them.
I've found some autopart places not too far from me!! I think I might call them and ask what kind of painting supplies they have and such. I'm a little lost- I'm looking to see if they have aerosol cans that would help me out right? I've got a buddy who apparently has had a compressor and spray gun this whole time! :rofl: But as cooljuk suggested, it's pretty complicated for a first timer. I could either go easy and hand rub the burst and not get the desired look but still an acceptable one... OR i run the gauntlet and use a spray booth. both are worrying options for me!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
You don't need a spray booth. It's nice to have but hardly a requirement. Incidentally, most auto paint supply shops have the capacity to make a custom spray can with your finish and color of choice loaded into it. It'll be a "1K" (single component) paint.

Andy475

Reaction score
I managed to visit my friends place, and their spraying set up seems pretty good! I'm still going to send it through and get feedback from you guys just to be sure. I haven't had the time yet to ring up any auto shops near me but I have got a list of numbers ready when I have some time.

Here are the photos:
Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 8.46.35 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 8.47.11 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 8.48.11 pm.png

Here's the spray gun they have. It plugs into the compressor and as stated many times. I'm pretty inexperienced and not well researched into spraying but if this is a possible option- I'll have to learn up about spraying and work on some practice pieces.

I hope this works!
Andy

Latest Threads