Help me pic an R9-

fernieite

Reaction score
Usually, I'd say dirty lemon; but this time cherry wins with the look department...

It has a pickguard too. That's always my preference, as well.

jbash

Reaction score
Deciding between these 2. Everything pretty close as far as weight, feel, etc. The Washed Cherry is a tad lighter at 8.5, the Filthy Lemon 8.9 if memory serves me.

So down to the Washed Cherry or Filthy Lemon-

View attachment 649636 View attachment 649637
Which one sounds better? That's the #1 factor for me with any guitar. Beauty fades quickly if the guitar doesn't have the mojo when I play it.

RMLamey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one sounds better? That's the #1 factor for me with any guitar. Beauty fades quickly if the guitar doesn't have the mojo when I play it.
Both equally well

RMLamey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes its always the sound that matters!!! not the friggin look..agree get another opinion if you can and let a buddy play it and listen closely to the nuance...its really hard to get a fine sounding Les Paul its a crapshoot till you find one you won't part with ... intonation, playability and TONE is the key factors
Yes, obviously. I thought that was a given. All things equal, should have prefaced the question.

jbash

Reaction score
Both equally well
Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads?

We all have a preference, but it's your date, not mine ;)

That said, I love both colors equally, I prefer pickguards on, and I'd probably take that tobacco/darkburst in the background. :laugh2:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
If you still can't decide, run the neck stiffness test and one will be better than the other.

Pluck the low E open, then quickly bend the G string up a step and a half at the ninth fret without plucking it, the guitar where the low E changes pitch the least is your winner.

danzego

Reaction score
I say the washed cherry. I do prefer darker cherry bursts and, in this case, might lean toward the lemon, but I have this aversion to a lot of visible vertical lines. Based on the picture, the lemon is something I’d cringe at. In person, that might be different. Otherwise, both have great tops.

prs97

Reaction score
Lemon for me. I'm biased since my #1 is a lemonburst R9 and I fell out of love with cherry burst...

...but those look like 2 great candidates.

Good luck choosing.

BDW60

Reaction score
I like the wide flame on the lemon … just more what I have been gravitating to. Never been a big fan of the venerable washed cherry finish. But I like the weight and the board better on that one.

So many factors …

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
Deciding between these 2. Everything pretty close as far as weight, feel, etc. The Washed Cherry is a tad lighter at 8.5, the Filthy Lemon 8.9 if memory serves me.

So down to the Washed Cherry or Filthy Lemon-

View attachment 649636 View attachment 649637

No brainer for me... 100% the Washed Cherry:

1) lighter
2) the board on the lemon looks pretty bad, whereas the Cherry could pass for Brazilian (it may be just lighting but the Cherry board looks materially darker)
3) the super long lateral lines (vertical in the photo) in the grain of the top of the Lemon and limited amount of flecks in the top make it look more like Western maple rather than Eastern maple (Eastern was used on the real deal bursts primarily... this is why Gibson had a couple of "Eastern Hardrock Maple" runs as they know the "REAL corksniffers" out there prefer Eastern maple on their reissues)
4) the book-matched quilting/ribboning in the flame of the cherry is more unique to my eyes (with that said, you can't see the treble side of top of the Lemon fully)

So yeah, 100% Washed Cherry for me.

Last edited:

1allspub

Reaction score
Man, just based purely on looks, both are excellent choices. If I had to choose (again, just on looks) I’d probably go with the Washed Cherry. Slightly more novel top, darker board, and I wouldn’t have to drill the PG holes (always nerve wracking).

But if the Washed Cherry suddenly sold out from underneath me, I’d be just fine with that Dirty Lemon... it’s pretty spectacular too.

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
Washed Cherry for me. Even though I like pickguard off the flame on the cherry is spectacular. But as others have said, I'd go off the sound first and foremost.

AJK1

Reaction score
I’m lucky, my best looking guitars also sound the best….

2old2rock

Reaction score
I'm a fan of darker hues and less contrast, and although I tend to prefer lemon over cherry in person, in this case I'd lean toward the cherry, that particular specimen is stunning.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flip a coin.

The cherry has a stream coming off the left tailpiece stud that looks like a dried waterfall.

The lemon has a wonky low E string position on the saddle.

Eagle X

Reaction score
mylespaul_logo.gif

The logo tells you: the red & orange one :p

Last edited:

Latest Threads