Help me improve my Gary Moore Tone

crankit85

Reaction score
Hi All,
Earlier this year I did some recording for the Gary Moore tune "The Messiah Will Come Again"
Could anyone give me some hints on how I could improve my tone/effects on this track.
Somehow my guitar sound is not quite right to me.

I was using a Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic with Tonerider ac4 for pickups
Line 6 Helix multi effects.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
I don’t think you’re set up to run like him....
E7701143-CF61-4EC1-99FB-804D30CEFC17.jpg

I mean unless you change your wiring up to an out of phase. Makes more difference than one would think...

Last edited:

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
im in awe of your playing.
compliments aside: hes got WAAAAY more gain.
+1
And I don't se any use of the middle position, so no out of phase.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
More gain. Slightly more muddy sound. I think, and I’m not sure how to describe it, you sound too much in the background in the mix, and I want to hear it more even or out in front? Less reverb? There are a couple spots where to me, even though it great technically, there were a couple spots with too many “tricks” and I was waiting for more of the built up story and return to how you started. That’s always hard with a really long solo.

In any case these are very very small crits because you asked. You channeled and nailed the Gary sound and style as much as you need too. Great voicing, pain in the notes, crying vibrato. Great use of the Inbetween. I don’t see a need to sound exactly like him, be yourself. And…you about play it exactly like him anyway much of the time anyway!

Last edited:

lespauled

Reaction score
+1
And I don't se any use of the middle position, so no out of phase.
Wow, a young Don Airey in that video also. Gary Moore is a one of a kind, self taught, guitarist. Nobody comes close to his playing. This song, along with The Loner, is a perfect example of this.

Dude2Dude

Reaction score
Dude, why bother? Your tone is fabulous, as is your playing — although for the life of me, I'm not sure what mileage there is in trying to sound like someone else, anyway. (Timbre or style.) I think you should just be you, and let your freak flag fly! (EDIT: learning in order to incorporate a new approach into your playing is an exception, however.)

Latest Threads