Help Me Dial in a Joyo OD Pedal

jw3571

Reaction score
I have a Marshall SL5 amp that i had been struggling to get into the distortion I wanted without being way too loud(even on 1 watt) for my family in my basement. I decided to purchase a Joyo OD pedal to try to get that tone at a lower volume. I'm having a hard time getting it dialed in. I'm not sure where to set the distortion on the amp. I guess in my mind i was thinking I'd have the clean tone from just the amp, then the distortion setting on the amp where i could get an ac/dc type tone, then kick on the OD pedal for the GNR type tone and 80's rock tone I'm going for. The OD pedal is sounding a little too muddy, the pedal has 4 knobs, volume, dirt, presence, and tone. I don't really understand what all these do. It almost sounds best when I don't have the distortion on the amp but turn on the OD. Any suggestions?

Tweaker

Reaction score
What OD pedal did you get? The Ultimate Drive or the Tubescreamer style OD?

You have the right idea, in my opinion. Goosing the AC/DC style amp crunch with the OD should get you to GnR/80's rock. What I'd suggest doing is setting the amp crunch where you want it, and then turn on the OD. Set the volume knob to unity volume or maybe a little louder so you can hear what exactly will be going on. Then adjust the tone and presence knobs so it doesn't sound muddy anymore. Then I would turn the gain (dirt, as you put it) up until you arrive at your 80's rock destination!

Mess around with the tone and presence knobs through the amp's clean channel...I think you'll get a better understand of what they do...a much better understanding than any way I can explain it, at least!

(I'm guessing the tone knob will tighten up the distortion if you're pushing the crunchy amp. The presence knob, in my opinion, is the equivalent of a blanket. Roll the knob back = putting a blanket on the amp. Turn up the presence = removing said blanket, and putting ear right next to speaker :laugh2:)

Tweaker

Reaction score
Ohhhh...yeah that probably won't push the crunchy channel of your amp very well. That's a clone of the Crunch Box...it should do your 80's rock on its own really well.

That pedal will sound the best through the clean channel of your amp...for GnR/80's rock, crank the gain knob and adjust the tone/presence knobs to your liking.

You could probably get a looper pedal and set it up so when you stomp once, it turns off the crunch channel and turns on the Deluxe Crunch.

caljoe

Reaction score
I have had good luck with the Joyo's I have through the clean channel and let the tone of the pedal shine through, I'm really happy with them.
I have the Ultimate Drive and Sweet Baby.
I'll let you know how the Dream Distortion sounds after Christmas :D

Side Burns

#==€@)
Reaction score
If you want to have distortion from just your pedal than start with your amp with your clean setting.

On the pedal,
Set the Tone & Pregain at 1:00
Then set the Distortion to your liking (start at 9:00).
Set the volume so it's similar to the amps clean volume.
Tweak the tone pregain and distortion so your palm mutes are sharp.
Fine tune the sound with the amp's tone settings.

Pregain gets you that 60's-70's dirt
The distortion gets you the crunch.
For what you want; GNR, AC/DC you'll want to crank your mids and use more gain than distortion as a starting point.

This is what I do, Tweaker had some good advice too.

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
Deluxe crunch is a nice pedal. For bedroom volume, I'd just use a clean setting on the amp, and get my distortion from the pedal. Use the guitar's volume control to control the amount of crunch after the pedal has been set to your liking.

Tweaker

Reaction score
Should I be getting a different Joyo pedal?

If you're looking for an OD pedal that will allow you to set your amp up the way you want to set it up, I'd say yeah, a different OD would probably be a good call. Check this sucker out:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-01-Vintage-Overdrive-Quality/dp/B004FEGXDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419566740&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+overdrive]Amazon.com: Joyo JF-01 "Vintage Overdrive" Pedal with True Bypass, Quality Switch, and Tone, Volume and Drive Knobs: Musical Instruments[/ame]

It's a Tubescreamer, so it will have the mids hump going, which is rad when boosting an already crunchy amp. If you're not after the mids hump and want something that won't push it as hard, check this one out:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-36-low-gain-overdrive-effect/dp/B007Q28BHE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419566740&sr=8-3&keywords=joyo+overdrive]Amazon.com: Joyo JF-36 "Sweet Baby" a low-gain overdrive effect Guitar Pedal: Musical Instruments[/ame]

And if you want transparency but more gain, this is excellent:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-02-Overdrive-featuring-components/dp/B005M0CK9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1419566740&sr=8-2&keywords=joyo+overdrive[/ame]

The first two pedal links will probably be the best bet, but the third pedal linked sounds fantastic on a clean amp channel, but I'm sure it would push an already crunchy amp pretty well.

jw3571

Reaction score
So just so i'm clear, you're saying if i got a vintage overdrive it would sound better when using it with the overdrive channel instead of the clean channel?

Tweaker

Reaction score
Well, better is subjective...they would be two pretty different sounds. Into a clean channel, it would probably sound less crunchy than the crunchy channel of your amp sounds right now. So if that floats your boat, then cool!

But, if you prefer the amp crunch and want to push it even further, the vintage overdrive would do it for you.

Look up tube screamers (the vintage drive is a TS clone) into clean amp and tube screamers pushing overdriven amp...you'll see what I mean! It's hard to describe. My very first pedal was a Wylde Overdrive and I used it to push my already crunchy amp even further. Took me from that classic rock sound to the finger tapping, pretty saturated gain sound. If that makes sense.

Latest Threads