Help me choosing the right les paul....

Jony2119

Reaction score
Hi!
Thanks for seeing this post...

Well Im a student who really enjoys playing the guitar, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Black from 2010 but now I really play a lot.... and I can t grow up musically speaking if I dont change the guitar, I hate this guitar because of its big fat 50´s neck ...
Well Im a huge fan of slash and all of his work, and so Ive researched some of his signatures models from epiphone (I dont have yet money to buy a gibson ;D) and I really like his AFD model... But it was a limited edition. But I have found several resselers of this guitar in second hand perfectly fine...
But my question is... Is it worth buying an Epiphone Les Paul AFD or should I buy now an new epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Honeyburst, in which later I would change the pickups for the signature ones of slash???
Really thankfull and sorry for my bad english :slash: :fingersx:
My budget is an tight one :s

redcoats1976

Reaction score
best thing to do is look at and play them until you find "the one".its mighty hard to tell if you will truly like a guitar unless its in your hands.

Jony2119

Reaction score
thats a really good advice from you :D thanks
But I am afraid that I have already played in a lot of guitars... My teacher has 3 gibson les Pauls, Fenders and Ariels.... I have played in all of them
And I know what I want: an les paul from epiphone/gibson with a slimtaper 60´s neck...
But yet I never played in the slash model :/ but it cant be too different from an epiphone les paul Standard couldnt? but yet thanks :D really apreciated :)

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
First of all...Welcome to MLP! Don't be shy to ask any questions you might have and everyone will do their best to help you out.

I personally wouldn't pay any extra money for a guitar based on the fact that it's a signature model alone. Instead of paying the price for an AFD, you can pick up a new Tribute Plus for much less money and get a better guitar overall. But the AFD is a beautiful guitar and you wouldn't go wrong with one.

Of course, if you are attracted to the appearance of a particular guitar, all reasonable argument goes out the window. Sometimes we just want what we want and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If it takes a particular guitar to encourage you to practice and play, then that's the guitar you should try to find.

And if you buy used, be aware that there are fakes out there and post some pics here if possible to get the guitar confirmed as genuine.

Jony2119

Reaction score
Barcham Thanks :D Really enjoyed your hospitality ;) Well the appearence of the guitar is not whats is attracting me to these questions.... To me the guitars I referenced before are both really pretty... I just asked this because I want to have an Epiphone Les Standard now but with upgrades in the tuners and in the pickups... And the persons who are resselling the AFD model are asking for a lower price than the price I would pay for an Epiphone Les paul Standard with the upgrades... What do you think I should do?

Jony2119

Reaction score
Barcham Thanks Really enjoyed your hospitality Well the appearence of the guitar is not whats is attracting me to these questions.... To me the guitars I referenced before are both really pretty... I just asked this because I want to have an Epiphone Les Standard now but with upgrades in the tuners and in the pickups... And the persons who are resselling the AFD model are asking for a lower price than the price I would pay for an Epiphone Les paul Standard with the upgrades... What do you think I should do?:slash:

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
If the price of the AFD seems too good to be true, be very careful - it could be a fake. I would definitely post some pics in the fake Epi thread to have it verified before buying. It's rare to see these with an asking price much under $1000 US. If the price is good and the guitar is genuine, I wouldn't hesitate if that is what I was looking for. It is a very good guitar.

Jony2119

Reaction score
Well, looks like now I just have to gather money and wait for a guy from ebay to sell his epiphone afd.... If it takes to long Well **** it I will buy an Epi lp tribute vintage sunburst or an epi les paul standard plustop pro honeyburst :slash: :hmm: :thumb::dude:

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for an Elitist, also. You never know when a nice one will pop up and some people around here have gotten some really good deals on one lately. You won't find a better guitar for the price, Epi or other. :D

Jony2119

Reaction score
Sure are... I have already saw some and I was like WTF?! It came from Japan??? ****ing great guitars...
:slash:

SJM

Epi Elitist Freak
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Elitist recommendations. The AFD is a nice upper end Epi but I wouldn't put it in the same category. I have an Elitist LP Plus Top with Seymour Duncan Slash Alnico II's along with CTS pots and PIO caps. I have no more money into this ax than AFD's usually go for on ebay. I would not trade this guitar for two AFD's.

Elitist7.jpg

BugsyB

Reaction score
Here's the real answer for you without actually recommending a particular guitar.First things first.Do you want a new one that will truly be your own,or a used one?
Second,are you able to put your hands on the used one before buying in Portugal,or are you going to rely on the honesty of strangers on the internet?
Those questions asked then if you decide to go new,What model?
Epi's quality has gone up quite a bit in the last while,any model from the Standard up is good value.A lot of people will tell you to buy the Tribute,which is an excellent deal with the 57's-long tenon neck joint and the HSC.Although there seems to be quite a few complaints about the quality of the fret jobs that the factory has been doing on them lately.Not a difficult fix but why should you have to fix a new guitar?
Your own alternate pick of a Plus Top is good but no HSC comes with it.I have last years model myself without the coil tapping and am very pleased with it's construction.
I don't think you can go too wrong with any one new...but used is a bit harder especially if you can''t actually inspect it before laying out your cash....HAPPY HUNTING!!

Jony2119

Reaction score
SJM - Well you got a ****ing nice axe xD
Bugsby B- Well you got all that right, I really liked you to say that because all that you said its true and so I have opened my eyes to what becomes to the AFD model from epiphone. So all things considered I really have to first see the tribute myself and play it and then compare it to the standard that I said earlier... Here in Portugal, at least in my city I dont have an music store that has a lot of guitars, here those business are really small, so as my teacher did to buy his gibson lp tradional iced tea I will have to buy it from an german shop, but I will first try out the tribute before I buy anything... Thanks for the tip mate... Cheers :slash:

evanstwitch

Reaction score
If you can, try out as many different guitars as you can get your hands on. you will know when one feels right in your hands. I want to echo what has already been said regarding prices: if it seems like an extemely low price, there is a good chance that its not a genuine epi. there are a lot of fakes out there, unfortunately.

paulgibson

Reaction score
SJM said:
+1 on the Elitist recommendations. The AFD is a nice upper end Epi but I wouldn't put it in the same category. I have an Elitist LP Plus Top with Seymour Duncan Slash Alnico II's along with CTS pots and PIO caps. I have no more money into this ax than AFD's usually go for on ebay. I would not trade this guitar for two AFD's.

IMAGE#1

Ill trade you my 2013 Gibson les paul gold top 50s tribute for your epi?

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Epi rocks

Reaction score
Tribute Plus. All you'll ever need.

Best bang for $$$$. HC included.

xnightrainx

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and go for the elitists, if you find yourself wanting Slash's pickups, then get them. You can get both for less than the cost of a used AFD Epiphone. I actually really dig the stock pickups in Elitists. When I get some more cash I'm gonna huntdown a goldtop or Honeyburst model. Love them guitars.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Ill trade you my 2013 Gibson les paul gold top 50s tribute for your epi?

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Anyone who would trade an Elitist for a Gibson '50s Tribute should have his head examined. :lol:

Latest Threads