Help me choose the neck wood. (Singlecut)

Pick the neck wood

• Maple

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Mahogany

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Go for broke. Use the Brazilian Rosewood.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I've returned to working on one of my body projects I started a number of years ago.

I've got to start a neck for it. But I'm undecided on whether I want this one to be a maple neck or a mahogany neck. Either way it gets an ebony fingerboard, or African Blackwood, or maybe Cocobolo.

I've got a nice piece of old growth Honduran mahogany, that's at least a hundred years old, and of course I've got maple as well.

If I do maple, it's going to be done like Gibson did maple necks, quartersawn and laminated of 3 pieces of hard rock maple.

I also have a big chunk of some kind of rosewood. I'm not positive but I'm starting to think it could be Brazilian Rosewood. It's dense, heavy, and rings like an aluminum pipe! It's easily big enough to carve a complete neck out of without having to glue another piece onto.

I think I want to save the rosewood for a future project. In fact I'd like to have someone with the tooling and skills install a truss rod in it from behind, a la Fender skunk stripe necks, with the fingerboard carved right on the top of the neck. No separate fingerboard at all. And use a piece off the side to make the skunk stripe, so it looks like it was never even cut into.

So what do you suggest for a neck for this body? Mahogany or maple?
IMG_4086_sm.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
Ha ha, I was just talking to James at ReWind yesterday about my 2 335 types that both have laminate maple or laminate maple/walnut necks and ebony fretboards and whether his A5 Low Winds might be too bright. One of them already has A5 pickups and it sounds fantastic so I'm hoping the other will too and not be ice picky. Going to have to do some magnet experiments and see.

I also have 2 Aria Pro II singlecuts with 3p maple necks and Maccassar ebony fbs.

So I voted for the maple.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Use that old hog. If it’s that old, it’s earned a new life. :)

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for the rosewood. Sure, it might neck dive, but a one piece rosewood neck and board would be awesome.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seen a PRS with a solid braz rosewood neck, I'd go for broke.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
The mahogany isn't quartersawn, in fact it's closer to rift than anything else. Not ideal...but very old and very stable so I might go for it anyway. Or I could split it, bookmatch, and reglue for symmetricality.

I've done solid Rosewood necks before. Indian, Brazilian Rosewood, Cocobolo (Utterly beautiful!), and even two Pernambuco necks. So that's not unfamiliar territory.

Got a lot to think about....

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Call me traditional but I would go for a Mahogany neck.
Or my name is Bobby Maple!

The mahogany neck would also be of more "value" in the eyes of any potential buyer
as it is a standard match for a Les Paul body.
I have played the maple necks on LP's with HB's and never liked that combo.
Bright sounding and lacking soul.
But that's just my taste!

Last edited:

dcomiskey

Reaction score
The mahogany isn't quartersawn, in fact it's closer to rift than anything else. Not ideal...but very old and very stable so I might go for it anyway. Or I could split it, bookmatch, and reglue for symmetricality.

I've done solid Rosewood necks before. Indian, Brazilian Rosewood, Cocobolo (Utterly beautiful!), and even two Pernambuco necks. So that's not unfamiliar territory.

Got a lot to think about....
Two words: carbon rods

Or, yes, cut it in 3 and flip the middle piece.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Carbon rods are certainly a good option. But I've never found a mahogany neck to be so floppy it really needs them. I have, however, had issues with maple necks that were so stiff, the truss rod was nearly ineffective.

Latest Threads