Help me choose - Marshall DSL401 vs Haze40

Gold_topped

Reaction score
Greetings- It's been literally years since I have posted but.... I am back :slash:

Here is the rundown. I have both amps in my possession... both are in like new condition. The DSL401 is a 1999, and in absolute mint condition, very low hours, and has new groove tubes throughout.The haze 40 is a 2009 and has not been retubed yet. But is alo very nice and has the 4 switch pedal with it.

I like the gain topolgy of the DSL401, and I like the more vintage swagger sound of the Haze40. The clean channel seems to be better to my ears on the Haze...

So my dilemma... I am looking for a good practice rig, and something for small gigs. I normally play on a DSL 100 watt head. One of these amps must go. So I am wondering, which would you keep and why?

**on a side note** My Haze does not seem anywhere near as loud as the DSL. Nothing appears to be wrong or malfunctioning. Is this just due to the fact that the gain on the DSL is just generally higher?

68_Mustang

Reaction score
If it is for practice, I would think the Haze was a little more versatile. Plus it has the on board effects to play with. I was seriously looking at them, but stumbled across a JTM60 I couldn't pass up on.

gtimach1

Reaction score
You've probably already made your decision.

I have had a Marshall DSL401 combo for many years and a Marshall Haze 15 watt Head (with a matching straight speaker cab), which I just got recently.

My Haze seems to be at least the equal of the DSL401 as far as volume.

I do like the on board effects of the Haze, but have been very impressed with the DSL 401. It has been my main gigging amp and rehearsal amp.

I will try out the Haze this weekend at a gig. Used it for the first time at a rehearsal and liked it a lot.

Tough call. The DSL401 has the advantage of having gain control on the clean channel, but the Haze has a bit more variety of overdrive tone.

I think I'd keep the Haze, if it will be mainly for playing at home. The on board effects are a plus. Though I might go with the DSL401, for gigs

Can't see you going wrong no matter how you choose.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would go with the DSL myself. But that is just me.

So What

Reaction score
I also have both, and a 50 watt DSL Head. I like to practice, and do small gigs, the few I do, with the 401 because it is more similar to the head's tone. The Haze is fun, and sounds good, but mine is a bit too bassy. Not as much Bite as the DSL's.

My 2 cents...