Help me choose guys.. Edwards, Tokai content

p90rules

Reaction score
So I'm looking at a couple of MIJ LP guitars.
One is a recent Tokai LS200 Plain top in brand new condition. The other is a high end Edwards E-LP 135 ALS 2013 Relic which has Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups, although this one just has a gig bag, no hard case. Both guitars are fairly local so I can try them first, but which one would be a clear winner for you guys?... Both are priced around £950 each.. I'm fairly familiar with both brands but would appreciate your input.
Cheers guys.
IMG_20210520_173139.jpg
IMG_20210520_173206.jpg
IMG_20210520_173429.jpg
IMG_20210520_173448.jpg
IMG_20210520_173523.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
Heck I'd go try both since you can. Nothing to lose there. And buy the one that speaks to you, and if by some chance neither did you can wait for the one that does.

p90rules

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Roxy13..
Yes, they are both within striking distance, but I was looking for thoughts on the Tokai vs the Edwards in terms of spec, value, build quality etc... I am drawn to the Edwards tbh, but the Tokai looks like a pretty high end model as well.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well, for the most part, they have more similarities than differences.

One difference might be the type of mahogany on the Edwards. No one seems to be certain exactly what it is other than something Asian. The Tokai probably has African.

Both have a solid maple cap where the Edwards also has the flame veneer.

Both have a 1p mahogany neck (again the Edwards might be the Asian hog).

Hardware will be Gotoh or something of equal quality on the Tokai.

The Edwards probably has the better pickups stock.

The Edwards is a lacquer finish. I'm not sure on the Tokai.

Both have an East Indian rosewood fb, long tenon neck, bone nut.

I have several Edwards guitars, but all my Tokai guitars are unfinshed bodies and necks. So I can tell you about their construction techniques, but crazy as it is with the number of guitars I have I have never owned a factory completed Tokai lol.

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
I've never had a recent Tokai, but I did have an Edwards 135 ALS. It didn't have the antiquities, but it was stunning. Weighed less than 7 lbs. Shouldn't have sold it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
@Roxy13 if you'd be so kind, could you do a similar rundown for Momoses please? :)

Would really appreciate it man, had no clue about the wood differences (Edwards) for example.

I own several Bacchus but still haven't had a Momose.

Reactions: E.X

THAWK819

Reaction score
I've never owned or played a Tokai, so I can't say anything about them. I do however, own an Edwards and it is an excellent instrument. It came stock with all Gotoh hardware and Seymour Duncan pickups. It's very light and comfortable to play and has proven to be a really stable instrument throughout the crazy swings of temperature and humidity we get in the northeast, despite being out on a guitar stand almost all the time. I can easily recommend an Edwards LP based on my admittedly limited experience.

Knoby

Reaction score
But all my tokai guitars are unfinshed bodies and necks. So I can tell you about their construction techniques, but crazy as it is with the number of guitars I have I have never owned a factory completed Tokai lol.
Don't mean to hog the thread, but how is that possible? I'm not doubting it, I'm genuinely fascinated!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Don't mean to hog the thread, but how is that possible? I'm not doubting it, I'm genuinely fascinated!

I don't know either lol. The best I can tell is that I worked on one for someone so got to play it after that and adjust the pickup heights and pole screws.

tabano

Reaction score
this is interesting, I was checking out ebay as I am on the market for a mij lp and that tokai, exactly that one, ( I have compared both pics..) Richtone is auctioning it for £1649......
now I know a shop I won't be buying from again....
as for your post, I a/b an edwards les paul custom with ebony board and seymours against a tokai ls 175 ( if I am not mistaking ) and the tokai was the better built and feeling guitar for me.
sound wise they were both good but there was a bit more of weight and attack to each note coming from the tokai, it felt and sounded more immediate,,,

jim777

Reaction score
I had an Edwards a few years ago, I think it lasted a week before I moved it on. I honestly don't remember the model though (it said "Limited Model" on the headstock, and was an '04). I have a Tokai HLS now and it is a superb guitar, so color me biased as well. I'd go for the Tokai.

SI49

Reaction score
I have both an Edwards and Tokai..

There really isn't much much of a difference. Quality is pretty much the same (I'd say the Edwards has a better paint job and inlay work). As far as the sound goes, they are identical, but it depends on what you want. MK2 pickups on the Tokai will give you a more classic tone, while the Edwards (mine is equipped with a JB) has a modern tone.

The biggest differences will come down to the neck angle and headstock degree.

jlee

Reaction score
If I were buying without being able to try them, I would go Tokai. I own 3 early 80s Tokai’s and had a ‘02 LS-200. I’ve owned 2 Edwards, a SD model and a higher end LTS. Moved both Edwards relatively quickly. They both lacked the depth of my Tokai’s.

Latest Threads