Help Me Choose An Amp!! (Help)

lespaullover69

Reaction score
Hi all, im looking for a new amp and have filled out the recommended questionnaire. Help me decide? Thanks!

How much would you like to spend? £850

What's the absolutely most you will spend? £1000

How many years have you played guitar? 1 year

Do you seek tone quality or versatility? Mostly Tone... But it has to be a nice drive as opposed to a nicer clean.

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)? LP Axcess with Wolftone Marshalls in both the bridge and the neck.

What style(s) of music do you primarily play? Classic rock/ Metal (GNR, Metallica, Zeppelin, a lot of other classic stuff)

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate? Jimmy Page/Slash

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects?
* If you plug straight in, you will likely require 2 or more channels
* If you use effects, you may prefer an effects loop
Plug Strait in

What will be the primary use of the amp?
bedroom/living room
jam with friends (guitars only)
jam with friends (guitars, bass, drums, etc.)
gigs (small venues)
gigs (large venues, is mic'ing available?)
Jam with friends ( guitars, bass, drums)

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)
Either, doesnt really matter to me.

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change?
A half broken Marshall VS230 (shitty)

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)

Phaez AFD 22

Blackstar Series One head

EVH 50 watt head

Vox AC30

Egnater Tweaker

StubbyJ

Reaction score
Gets ripped on alot, but a used JVM 205h or variant may work for you.

I recently got one and find it highly versatile and not a "bad" sound to be had.

Although I don't know the prices used in your neck of the woods.

lespaullover69

Reaction score
I'm not really looking for a Marshall ATM.. more towards other brands. Thanks and Merry Xmas!

singlecut

Reaction score
phaez
MR BROWNSTONE
OR THE AFD

check them out.

be happy the 1st time.

lespaullover69

Reaction score
Yeah, I am really considering the Phaez AFD. The only thing is that I don't really wanna wait three months to get my new amp... you know?

singlecut

Reaction score
Yeah, I am really considering the Phaez AFD. The only thing is that I don't really wanna wait three months to get my new amp... you know?
BUILD TIME IS 3 weeks from my experience and i've done a few.

and in the big picture, getting it right the 1st time is really worth a small wait time.

best of luck in your search .

hope you score the 1

eaglewolf

Reaction score
Three months might be a bit extreme for the timeframe to complete a Phaez, though it definitely is quicker to walk into a store and buy an amp off the shelf. True, there is more shipping time to the UK, but I wouldn't think it would be that long. I think my last one was done in a week or two, although since I had it sent to the cabinet builder next it took a bit longer to complete. Assuming you want a head over a combo, you can have Randy's cabinet builder Jim (MLP member ANEAS) provide the cabinet and it will be done quicker and on its way to you as a completed unit.

To be honest though, it sounds like the tone you are looking for is more Marshall-based. The Phaez AFD is essentially Randy's take on a Marshall, with the AFD tone as the reference. I haven't played an AFD yet - either the Phaez or Marshall's version - but I love the tone I've heard so far from those amps.

You might also look a Blackstar's offerings. Should get you in the same range, and depending on the model it can be quite a bit cheaper than a Marshall. I've got the HT-5, but there are a number of more powerful models that get great reviews as well. The Artisan series gets a bit pricey, but the HT line is quite reasonable.

David

Gridlock

Reaction score
Marshall Vintage Modern, covers all your favorite bands.

Latest Threads