Help me choose a Guitar.

Variações

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new guitar, my budget is very limited so i got it between these two: Epiphone Slash AFD or Epiphone Les Paul 100
The major difference that i found are that the Slash AFD has 2 Ceramic Plus Humbuckers as pickups, the 100 has 2 Humbuckers (700T and 650R), also the Slash AFD says that it has a Tune-o-matic bridge and a Stopbar tailpiece, but i don't know if these are present on the 100.

Thank you,

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Variações;8111028 said:
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new guitar, my budget is very limited so i got it between these two: Epiphone Slash AFD or Epiphone Les Paul 100
The major difference that i found are that the Slash AFD has 2 Ceramic Plus Humbuckers as pickups, the 100 has 2 Humbuckers (700T and 650R), also the Slash AFD says that it has a Tune-o-matic bridge and a Stopbar tailpiece, but i don't know if these are present on the 100.

Thank you,

Hi,

welcome here @ MLP
:wave:

both of them have 'tune-O-matic' bridges
I like the built in shadow tuner, could be really useful

Variações

Reaction score
Hi,

welcome here @ MLP
:wave:

both of them have 'tune-O-matic' bridges
I like the built in shadow tuner, could be really useful

Thanks!

Good to know, i saw the shadow tuner, looks cool but if the 100 proves to be better, that wouldn't change my decision, i want the best one.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Is the 100 a bolt on neck or set neck?

Variações

Reaction score
Is the 100 a bolt on neck or set neck?

6579862_800.jpg

Parasite68

Reaction score
I haven't had any experience with the Slash model, but years ago when I started back into guitars, I was seriously considering the 100. I knew I wanted a heritage cherry Sunburst and I ultimately made the jump to Epiphone LP standard with flame top. The only reason I didn't go with the LP 100 was because of the bolt on neck. To be honest, there's nothing wrong with a bolt on... Some will argue that they lose a little tone, but I don't find that big a difference. Instead of trying to sway you to buy either one, I'd like to give you some things to think about before you make your purchase.

1. Ultimately the guitar is going to be an extension of you. You will be using the guitar to express emotion and feeling that we can't put into words. To accomplish this, try to play both guitars equally to get a feel for them.

2. Ask yourself which one physically feels better to play after 15 minutes or so... Guitars are like a pair of slippers. The one that feels the most comfy could be the one... Afterall, guitar playing should be fun and satisfying. A trip to Disneyworld could be painful if you wear the wrong shoes! Which leads to number 3.

3. Pick the one that SOUNDS the best without compromising comfort. A lot of times while picking one out of two, the ONE will be a no brainer and should stand out at you pretty quickly. Other times, it may take a few visits to the store and a few more test drives to reach your decision. Just follow your heart and your instincts. If it feels good, get it and enjoy it! Hope this helps!

Brian

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Buy a set-neck standard on Craigslist for $250 or less. I see them all the time. I scored a Custom for $225 on CL and it's one of my favorites.

1allspub

Reaction score
Buy a set-neck standard on Craigslist for $250 or less. I see them all the time. I scored a Custom for $225 on CL and it's one of my favorites.

This x1000!

Buy a used set neck for the same price and have 3x the guitar.

Both the AFD and (especially IMO) the 100 are the worst deals in the Epi LP range. With the AFD you are just paying for Slash's name on a cheap guitar that, if it didn't have Slash's name would be 1/2 the price (the built in Shadow Tuner seems gimmicky).

The 100 is even less value IMO. You get basically a dolled up Special II for double the price of a Special II.

Seriously, either go the used Standard route on CL for $250ish (and you may even get a case with it for that price)... OR, if you are gonna get a bolt-on neck get a used Special II for $75 or less on CL... or new on sale for $99 is very common.

This may not be the advice you wanted (i.e., you wanted to hear which of the two you already had on your radar is the best to get), but honestly, take the advice... you'll be happier you did in the end and will save money AND have a much better guitar.

Latest Threads