Help me choose a gold. Double gold, bullion gold, etc

indeedido

Reaction score
I'm looking to add some gold to my stable and after looking around, there are more shades of Gibson gold than I thought. Antique Gold, Bullion Gold, Double Gold, 60s Gold. I don't have to opportunity to see these many colors in person. I've used the search and find contradictory descriptions of each of these. What official color is the current '57 RI goldtop? I don't like the versions that are more copper looking. I like the yellow end of the spectrum with maybe the hint of green. I'm thinking Double Gold is what I'm looking for. Maybe Bullion Gold. Anybody have experience with seeing these in person?

KBMelb

Reaction score
I had a '14 R7 that had that greenish tint that I was very happy with. I saw and nearly bought a '15 TH7 that had a much warmer copper-ish look. I much preffered the the '14 gold but that is all I can offer, haven't seen double gold in person yet.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Double gold is more in line with your taste (which is what I like too) but there is variation even within the same line.
Some of the latest ones I've seen are very green.

goldtop0

Reaction score
Yes you're right.........too many gold finishes, but the one I like is a Honey/Amber gold, it's not the Green gold or Copper look gold.
It may be the Double Gold finish as above(which I've yet to see).
Since 2013 the R7s were green and the R6s were honey as I've experienced.

indeedido

Reaction score
Yeah I would prefer no green or copper. Honey/amber sounds like the ticket. I put the question to Gibson, I'll report any findings.

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not like this:rofl:

gibson-custom-1956-les-paul-goldtop-2018.png

Here's my 2004 R7

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

pictures from phone 1027.JPG

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the color name for your goldtop?
I'm not sure,... it does have a brassy green hint to it though..... and the clear coat has a bit of yellowing to it which does have an effect on the gold.

indeedido

Reaction score
Here is what I got back from my friends at Gibson...

"Historically, Custom Shop has used bronze dust in the Gold finishes, which gives a darker hue than what USA has done. To my eyes, USA’s Gold was more yellow…Custom’s Gold was richer & more metallic."

Antique Gold Current finish on the Joe Perry “Goldrush” LP Axcess model is Aged Antique Gold…Antique Gold is the precursor to Double Gold
Bullion Gold This was a color used on Gibson USA models, Classic/Fort Knox/etc…more yellow-ish to me
Double Gold Current finish on 54/56/57 LP Goldtops
60s Gold Current finish on 68 LP Standard Goldtop
Current Gold finish on the 57 RI DOUBLE GOLD

mudface

Boo Bee
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My R7 is 16 years old,.... I wouldn’t know if that is current by your definition... but it is a richer and deeper tone than my 2011 P90 Trad Pro.... it’s the same difference between the gold between USA top hat knobs and CS Historic top hat knobs.... Historics are darker.

Excuse the piss poor lighting,.. but the Historic knob is on the bottom.
66217148-FAB5-4A37-AE58-8CA3D7FFFCA8.jpeg

yeatzee

Reaction score
Yeah the gold colors are all over the map, and only to make it harder for those that can't compare in person a gold top pictures wildly different depending on the lighting and the camera.

Double gold should be what's on a current R7, I've never heard of bullion gold for a reissue so can't comment on that. Pre 2013 I'm not sure what they called the name of the gold but it was more honey colored and often a lighter shade of gold. Antique Gold is what they called the finishes 2013+ up to the double gold ones which are like 2018+ or around there. The extra confusing part is that antique gold came in two varieties, green gold or honey gold. Personally I think the green version of AG can look a little snot-ish looking and prefer the 2013+ AG honey gold variety but I'd take either over a pre-2013 gold top. Double Gold from what I've seen seems to be the best yet, more of a blend between the two version of AG only a bit darker. For reference here's a couple photo's of my aged goldtop in AG (leaning honey gold):

From Gibson looks a little greener than it is

And here's a video where I show it in 4k

Latest Threads