Help me 50s - Wire my LP

Gabriel

Reaction score
Hi. Here's a pic of my control's cavity. I've seen other wiring schemes but for some reason there is just too much cable in mine to make any sense to me. I understand I have to move one wire from a point to the other but I can't get which. So please help me.

P5pKj.jpg

Raz59

Reaction score
There's a white wire connecting the tone pots to the volume pots. On both pairs, they connect to the first lug of the volume pots, where the black wires are also soldered.

Just unsolder it from the first lug and connect it to the second (wiper) lug, where the red/green wires are connected. That's about it, really.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I just did it. Raz thanks for making my volume control usable again! :thumb:

Now the excessive treble of my bridge JB is even more bothersome. :laugh2:

Raz59

Reaction score
I just did it. Raz thanks for making my volume control usable again! :thumb:

Now the excessive treble of my bridge JB is even more bothersome. :laugh2:

Oh, you're welcome. You might not like your tone pots now, though.

And if the tone pot can't tame that JB with the tone pot, you might want to try a lower value volume pot...you can test this right now by putting a 500k resistor across the outer lugs of the volume pot.

And if that doesn't float your boat, read about magnet swapping. Hope it helps.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Well I am bumping this thread because I am not getting what I want (preserving highs when I roll off the volume).

I've seen prewired 50's kits and the capacitor is soldered at the 2nd lug of the volume pot. In my guitar the cap is between the second lug of the tone pot and the casing. Is that the reason why I am getting a ton of treble and sound gets muddy when I roll off the volume? I am pretty clueless when it comes to how electronics work so I am just copying diagrams.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
Which lug the cap is wired to on the tone pot makes no difference really, it needs to go with the switch wire on the volume pot to make it work. The type and value of the cap is where to look now or a better volume pot. I'd try a .022uf or a .033uf PIO to tame it a bit. You can get them for Jonsey or on ebay. A good CTS audio taper volume pot might help. Something in the 250K - 300K range. :cool:

Try contacting Jonsey or Martin6String as they have more experience with this than I do and have the parts available.

Latest Threads