Help! Is this a real Gibson les paul?

sktn77a

Reaction score
Call the guy back and tell him that you misunderstood his ad and thought that it was a real Gibson. Your attorney friend told you it is illegal to even OWN a counterfiet guitar under US law. I wouldn't try to sell it as you could get into serious trouble selling counterfeit goods.

If you're patient, you can score a Vintage Mahogany Studio (with case) on Craigslist for $600 here in the Piedmont.

bufbills

Reaction score
i have been watching that ad. im in aberdeen near pinehurst

scozz

Reaction score
That's just it. Someone selling a Gibson is going to explicitly describe the item as being a Gibson.

Here are the first three sentences from the ad:

"02 Les Paul Mahogony faded cherry with case. 1 small scratch 1 inch long near bridge pickup that can be waxed out.
This guitar plays and sounds like any Gibson Les Pul with alnico pickups."

The title of the listing doesn't list the guitar by brand. With that in mind, why would the first sentence not identify the guitar as a Gibson? Nowhere in the first paragraph does it say anything about it being a Gibson. Also, what is the point of the third sentence? If the guitar in the listing is indeed a Gibson, then this a redundant throw-away statement that does nothing more than call the authenticity of the item into question.

While all this may be true, the bottom line for me is that judging from the pics, my gut tells me it's a Gibson. That's all I'm saying.

zplapplap

Reaction score
While all this may be true, the bottom line for me is that judging from the pics, my gut tells me it's a Gibson. That's all I'm saying.

Sounds like you know Gibsons and that you trust your eye. :thumb: I was just dissecting the ad. I don't mean to argue.

BurstAddict

Reaction score
Buying a guitar only because of the name on the headstock is the wrong way to go. So it could sound like crap, but you would still buy it because it says "Gibson"?

asher67

Reaction score
Call the guy back and tell him that you misunderstood his ad and thought that it was a real Gibson. Your attorney friend told you it is illegal to even OWN a counterfiet guitar under US law. I wouldn't try to sell it as you could get into serious trouble selling counterfeit goods.

This has been addressed in a few other threads. If the instrument has been misrepresented for sale over the internet, the seller might have committed internet fraud or, under older federal laws, wire fraud. The FBI has set up a website on internet fraud, which can be found here: Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

North Carolina probably has consumer protection laws that might have been violated. A call to its attorney general's office would provide some direction. If you have been ripped off, especially in a trademark forgery or counterfeit goods sale, you don't need to simply count your losses. The only way to frustrate deceptive sellers is for the victims to report the crimes. We'll all be better off. Good luck to you.

cobrafangs

Reaction score
i know what it's like to jones for a real gibson, i did for years, that being said i'd look at some other kinds of guitars for that amount and start there. i've had some real nice guitars that cost me $500 or less even, some of the ltd series from esp spring to mind, be patient, why buy something that's fake/pretending? you'll get a gibson someday

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Simple advice, if you cannot tell if you are buying a real Gibson or not, then why are you so interested in Gibsons? Learn a bit BEFORE you buy!

fretonme

Reaction score
I'm a true blue gibson and fender guy.but I have to say a late 70's early 80's Ibanez artist is a very good guitar for the price!great sound for around 500.00 dollars.yea I know made in japan.play one and be the judge.very les paul sounding

tw1st40

Reaction score
The ad explicitly says MULTIPLE TIMES that it is an Epiphone Les Paul. This is not fraud by the seller. This is a moronic buyer who can't read. The End.

the bull

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought this Gibson Les Paul on Craigslist today, I paid $500. the seller said it is a les paul classic from 2006. It says Gibson on the headstock, and im no expert but it played just like the Gibson les Pauls Ive played at guitar center and I think it sounds really good. The serial number is DW06025, stamped in Ink. There is no "made in usa" anywhere on the guitar. Here is a link to the craigs list posting: Gibson Les Paul Classic 2006 sell / trade

Is this a real Gibson? if not, what is is? how much is it worth? pics are attached. Thanks.

Dude that sucks. I posted that thing on here awhile back and was like...wtf is this thing.

You did not see where he said it was an epi? It was even said on here that it might be a fake epi that was redone to be a gibby.

Oh well play I guess.:rolleyes:

sktn77a

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found one other posting on craigs list that were for the exact guitar I bought (same color, style, ect.) Check it out: Epiphone Les Paul Classic with Gibson Mother of Pearl inlaid logo,

It's the same guy selling the same guitar on the Winston-Salem Craigslist and the Greensboro Craigslist. He also advertised it on the Triangle Craigslist. Call him up an tell him you thought it was a real gibson because that what it says in the headstock. His advertising is misleading - the title says GIBSON, while the ad says EPIPHONE. It's still a counterfeit in the eyes of the law and infringes Gibson's trademark. So put pressure on him to give you your money back.

Edit: Just saw the post below. Did you pick up the guitar locally or did he ship it and, if so, where from?

Skynyrdpicker

Reaction score
I saw your guitar in the local classifieds here, and I'm in Montreal! I guess he really wanted to get rid of it! :laugh2:

rockin'rolldad

Reaction score

Latest Threads