Help! Is this a real Gibson les paul?

Danjube

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought this Gibson Les Paul on Craigslist today, I paid $500. the seller said it is a les paul classic from 2006. It says Gibson on the headstock, and im no expert but it played just like the Gibson les Pauls Ive played at guitar center and I think it sounds really good. The serial number is DW06025, stamped in Ink. There is no "made in usa" anywhere on the guitar. Here is a link to the craigs list posting: Gibson Les Paul Classic 2006 sell / trade

Is this a real Gibson? if not, what is is? how much is it worth? pics are attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpg
    IMG_4395.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_4396.jpg
    IMG_4396.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4399.jpg
    IMG_4399.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 183

Rock1Guitar

Reaction score
Not a Gibson. Just an Epiphone with a Gibson stamped headstock (it says it right on the ad). He probably put some new Pups in the guitar.

BigC

Reaction score
Er... is this a joke?

The first bloody line of the add states it's an EPIPHONE with a re-shaped headstock.

Epiphone Les Paul Classic with custom Gibson shaped headstock and Gibson pearl inlay logo.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look good ...

9094d1236029256-help-real-gibson-les-paul-img_4395.jpg

sfla99

Reaction score
At $500 I think you over payed roughly $300 since a brand new Epi just recently would go for around $400 and change for a non Custom, add its got some abused portions of the guitar.

Sorry

tsuen

Reaction score
sfla99 Don't forget this is Canadian currency, which converts into <US$400. Prices of Epiphones have gone out lately here in Canada, so I'd say C$500 is more or less fair. The seller probably did not replace the pickups but just took out the covers. IMHO I don't think he got ripped off. I do agree it is overpaid a tiny little bit though :(

Danjube

Reaction score
grrrrrrr i re-read the post and saw that it was indeed an epiphone. I guess I'll learn from this mistake. There are other GIBSON Les Pauls (the Mahagony studio model) also for $500. How much better will those play and sound?

I may try to return this but im not sure what he will say, because it was my fault. Thanks for the help.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
if it's a real Gibson for $500 show me were, those prices arent even right for used Gibsons, they are fakes or reshaped Epis as is the one in the pics.

zplapplap

Reaction score
Here is the Gibson for $500 that I might buy. Do you guys think this is the real deal? Les Paul Mahagony 02

C'mon man. :shock: What is it with these fake ass guitars? Read the ad. It barely purports to be a Gibson. I'm sure all would agree that the written description is ambiguous at best. Read the add closely.

Like how the pic on the left cuts off at the headstock?

Danjube

Reaction score
I emailed him and asked for closeups of the headstock, body and neck. I also asked him what the serial number on the guitar is and where he got it. But thanks everyone for the advice and help.

zplapplap

Reaction score
I emailed him and asked for closeups of the headstock, body and neck. I also asked him what the serial number on the guitar is and where he got it. But thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Good luck. :thumb: Post pics when you find yours.

scozz

Reaction score
C'mon man. :shock: What is it with out and these fake ass guitars? Read the ad. It barely purports to be a Gibson. I'm sure all would agree that the written description is ambiguous at best. Read the add closely.

Like how the pic on the left cuts off at the headstock?

I don't know,,,,,,,,,,,judging from the pics provided it looks like it could be a Special. Even if it is, it's not worth $500.

Here's a quote from the ad, ambiguous? I guess so, but the seller IS implying that it's a Gibson.

"For the Price of a epiphone, get an american made Gibson Les Paul. Pickguard added by guitar center".

zplapplap

Reaction score
I don't know,,,,,,,,,,,judging from the pics provided it looks like it could be a Special. Even if it is, it's not worth $500.

Here's a quote from the ad, ambiguous? I guess so, but the seller IS implying that it's a Gibson.

"For the Price of a epiphone, get an american made Gibson Les Paul. Pickguard added by guitar center".

That's just it. Someone selling a Gibson is going to explicitly describe the item as being a Gibson.

Here are the first three sentences from the ad:

"02 Les Paul Mahogony faded cherry with case. 1 small scratch 1 inch long near bridge pickup that can be waxed out.
This guitar plays and sounds like any Gibson Les Pul with alnico pickups."

The title of the listing doesn't list the guitar by brand. With that in mind, why would the first sentence not identify the guitar as a Gibson? Nowhere in the first paragraph does it say anything about it being a Gibson. Also, what is the point of the third sentence? If the guitar in the listing is indeed a Gibson, then this a redundant throw-away statement that does nothing more than call the authenticity of the item into question.

Danjube

Reaction score
So i have a new question.

I have this epi Les Paul classic with a Gibson inlay on the headstock, and I am wondering how much I can get for it on ebay/craigslist. Does the Gibson headstock add or subtract from its value?

Also, if I want to buy a Gibson Les Paul, what is the lowest price I'm gonna have to pay?
thanks

lp_junkie

Reaction score
It's actually illegal to sell since it is a counterfeit guitar unless you fully disclose what it really is. You're not going to get much for it as it is, chalk it up to learning experience and drive on.

marc1kim

Reaction score
Here is the Gibson for $500 that I might buy. Do you guys think this is the real deal? Les Paul Mahagony 02

That's a faded special with humbuckers (these replaced the glossy Special SL) , someone added a pickguard along the way. $500 is typical price on fleabay for these with a gig bag, so getting a hardshell case with it is good.

Latest Threads