HELP! Is this a fake?

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Drew71... thank you for being the voice of reason, when my patience prevented me from doing such.

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Drew71... thank you for being the voice of reason, when my patience prevented me from doing such.

15? How about 49? Oh, I guess that just shows that maybe you don't know as much as you THINK you do. And how old are YOU, jstar? Maybe you should incorporate some more fiber into your diet. If you had been civil like Drew, I would have listened. But I guess a crusty old homophobe needs someone like Drew to articulate reason FOR THEM, as you clearly have none of your own. Gee, are you going to need Drew or someone else to come back you up?

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Rockinroll,

This is the best advice I can give you. Download all of those images. Then go on Gibson's website. Attach those images to an email directed at customer service, asking customer service if the Gibson guitar in question is legit or fake. The response will be within an hour or so, with details exactly why said guitar is fake......and secondly, don't pick "fights" with other forum members...just sayin':wave:

Thanks, Drew. Had "other Forum members" come across in a civil fashion such as you, there would have been no need to "fight". Again, if "other Forum members" are put off by a post, DON'T READ IT!

Drew71

Reaction score
15? How about 49? And how old are YOU, jstar? If you had been civil like Drew, I would have listened. But I guess a crusty old homophobe needs someone like Drew to articulate reason, as you clearly have none.

Whoo, hold on...he was apologizing via me to you...he removed/edited his original comment...which I quoted...laugh a bit rockinroll, laugh at others and at yourself...you did come off a bit immature early on...but nothing to fight over...

Send those images to Gibson. I promise they will respond with a huge list of identifiers.

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Whoo, hold on...he was apologizing via me to you...he removed/edited his original comment...which I quoted...laugh a bit rockinroll, laugh at others and at yourself...you did come off a bit immature early on...but nothing to fight over...

Send those images to Gibson. I promise they will respond with a huge list of identifiers.

Fair enough Drew. IF he was apologizing through you, I accept. I really am good-natured, and with a face like mine, I get to laugh at myself PLENTY :laugh2:

You're a good man, Drew, and I appreciate you. Off to bed now, as I am tired.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Oh Oh. It's got a bid. I REALLY HATE bad guys

Don't worry about the bid. I put it in so no one gets stuck buying it not knowing it is fake. Unless someone bids over 25K that guitar ain't going know where. :naughty:

Guitar_Zero

Reaction score
You have to wonder if the seller got duped and is in turn trying to pass his/her mistake on. I'd HATE to see someone spend their hard-earned or long-saved $$ on this one. Some poor kid just hankering to get an LP. I guess I'm like Don Quixote, but I just HATE for the bad guys to win. Besides, we all prize our LP's and these fakes diminish ours :(

I'd hate it too, but if you're going to buy second hand guitars, you either need to do your research and find out how to spot a fake, or join up with some forums and ask those that know best.

I'm more than able to pick out fake Fenders, but then I've owned so many over the years that it has become obvious. Gibson guitars I'm still learning about but I know that the bridge posts are a tell-tale sign. I know some people can tell by knob placement, but I can't see any difference most of the time.

I love websites like this though, and I study the fake threads as much as possible to educate myself. Whenever I see a 'Is this fake?' thread, I always click on it, head to the pictures without reading the replies and try to decide for myself. I then read through the thread and piece together all the highlighted issues.

Thanks for being a great community and helping others with this stuff.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Starting a "Fake Gibson Les Paul" sticky thread might be the way to go.

Good idea :thumb: Then everyone can "learn" from it.

I notice most of the fakes immediatly but to be hohnest with this one here, apart from the screw on bridge (which could be an aftermarket modification) I was not 100% sure. Things like the knob position were hard to identify froom the angle fotographed. So even I can learn from you guys :D

They have that in the Epiphone sub-forum and it keeps things less cluttered over there.
They make fakes of the copies? :p ............ :laugh2: ................. :io:

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
don't worry about the bid. I put it in so no one gets stuck buying it not knowing it is fake. Unless someone bids over 25k that guitar ain't going know where. :naughty:

You rule!!!! This is why I started the post. I contacted Gibson, but I wanted help from other Forum members as well

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
I'd hate it too, but if you're going to buy second hand guitars, you either need to do your research and find out how to spot a fake, or join up with some forums and ask those that know best.

I'm more than able to pick out fake Fenders, but then I've owned so many over the years that it has become obvious. Gibson guitars I'm still learning about but I know that the bridge posts are a tell-tale sign. I know some people can tell by knob placement, but I can't see any difference most of the time.

I love websites like this though, and I study the fake threads as much as possible to educate myself. Whenever I see a 'Is this fake?' thread, I always click on it, head to the pictures without reading the replies and try to decide for myself. I then read through the thread and piece together all the highlighted issues.

Thanks for being a great community and helping others with this stuff.

Unless someone whines. I STILL say if you don't like these posts, DON'T READ THEM!

This IS a great Forum.

Latest Threads