HELP! Is this a fake?

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
I tried to take a picture of my guitar to help you spot fakes.. the same angle the best I could

FAKE
donw35-albums-donw35-picture71593-fake-les-paul.jpg

Real 1994 Les Paul Classic
donw35-albums-donw35-picture71594-real-les-paul.jpg

what did you spot ?

I appreciate your contribution--you seem interested in trying to teach. Your pickup selector "chip" looks correct, and your frets have the "nibs" It's hard to tell from the fake, but the neck binding might be white, whereas yours is cream. PS, Yours is a very pretty guitar :)

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
PRO TIP: Use the forum search feature before starting a thread. It's easy... even for someone without my level of "omnicience."

Maybe once you get over 50 posts you can be a grumpy old bastard like me.

No, I'll NEVER be a "grumpy old bastard like (you)". Your number of posts is irrelevant, you're still a know-it-all, and apparently a homophobe (judging from your quote) but I must admit to being impressed that you actually knew what omniscience meant (perhaps after a quick google?)

donw35

Reaction score
Hmmm, they both look the same. Even the reflection of the light as well as the can of whatever behind the case (which also looked the same).

NO INSULT INTENDED

Look again, I posted the same file and fixed it...

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
No, I'll NEVER be a "grumpy old bastard like (you)". Your number of posts is irrelevant, you're still a know-it-all, but I must admit to being impressed that you actually knew what omnicience meant (perhaps after a quick google?)

If you want to start a pissing match... I'm game.

PRO TIP: Learn how to spell omniscience or omniscient before you use it an attempt to insult someone.

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Look again, I posted the same file and fixed it...

Yes, I caught that. Thank you so much. I appreciate your contribution--you seem interested in trying to teach. Your pickup selector "chip" looks correct, and your frets have the "nibs" It's hard to tell from the fake, but the neck binding might be white, whereas yours is cream. PS, Yours is a very pretty guitar

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
If you want to start a pissing match... I'm game.

PRO TIP: Learn how to spell omniscience or omniscient before you use it an attempt to insult someone.

Point well taken on my misspelling. However, I maintain there's this LITTLE thing called the First Amendment, and that beauty entitles me to speak my mind. Perhaps in De-troit you never learned about it.

I choose not to get into a "pissing match" with a boorish ignoramus fornication-head who has no patience for someone wishing to learn.

finis (or do you even know what that means)--hey hey, google is just a click away.

Drew71

Reaction score
Rockinroll,

You've been a member since March 2013 and racked up 50+ posts...so I'll give some ground and assume you've been elsewhere. Jstarr is right lately it seems someone posts a new "fake" thread. So conducting a search would produce multiple results with some being current.

But I will end with your own words....google is your friend search

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Rockinroll,

You've been a member since March 2013 and racked up 50+ posts...so I'll give some ground and assume you've been elsewhere. Jstarr is right lately it seems someone posts a new "fake" thread. So conducting a search would produce multiple results with some being current.

But I will end with your own words....google is your friend search

Drew: I appreciate YOUR comment. Over the nearly 2 years I've been a member, I've seen countless offers to solicit the input of the experts here. So I am availing myself of the wealth of info. I also wanted to call Forum members' attention to the fact that there is a fake out there. If we join forces, we can defeat the bad guys.

If jstarr (or anyone else for that matter) tires of these posts, he can simply skip them, but there have been plenty of members who have been helpful in this post alone.

Only thing with google, is that you cannot receive input from those who know.

donw35

Reaction score
Yes, I caught that. Thank you so much. I appreciate your contribution--you seem interested in trying to teach. Your pickup selector "chip" looks correct, and your frets have the "nibs" It's hard to tell from the fake, but the neck binding might be white, whereas yours is cream. PS, Yours is a very pretty guitar

Mine does not have nibs as it was re fretted but look at the pickup rings, see the bridge and tail piece and the distance on the fake. now look how the fret board lays on the body of the guitar plus the shape of the guitar around the pickup selector. I have a fake hanging in my room here and use it to help others spot them, plus it was cheep and fun to play... :naughty:

Drew71

Reaction score
Here is another Google search on the serial number rockinroll.....search

Man, you should try this Google some time...tons of information to read..it is just a click away..:thumb:

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Mine does not have nibs as it was re fretted but look at the pickup rings, see the bridge and tail piece and the distance on the fake. now look how the fret board lays on the body of the guitar plus the shape of the guitar around the pickup selector. I have a fake hanging in my room here and use it to help others spot them, plus it was cheep and fun to play... :naughty:

Thank You. THIS is very productive info. You, sir, are a true gentleman, and it has been my PRIVILEGE to interact with you

Drew71

Reaction score
Drew: I appreciate YOUR comment. Over the nearly 2 years I've been a member, I've seen countless offers to solicit the input of the experts here. So I am availing myself of the wealth of info. I also wanted to call Forum members' attention to the fact that there is a fake out there. If we join forces, we can defeat the bad guys.

If jstarr (or anyone else for that matter) tires of these posts, he can simply skip them, but there have been plenty of members who have been helpful in this post alone.

Only thing with google, is that you cannot receive input from those who know.

But if you click on that link...actually you do get input from knowledgeable people...some of the search results are mylespaul threads...

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Here is another Google search on the serial number rockinroll.....search

Man, you should try this Google some time...tons of information to read..it is just a click away..:thumb:

I prefer interacting with people willing to share their expertise. Besides, that is the problem with google--TOO MUCH out there. I have no qualms with you, Drew.

Drew71

Reaction score
I prefer interacting with people willing to share their expertise. Besides, that is the problem with google--TOO MUCH out there. I have no qualms with you, Drew.

I understand, but I'm trying to make a point One that you should understand that some will vent to conduct a search before asking "is this fake" in a new thread...and two....that...conducting a search on the serial number alone will result that it is a Chinese knock-off.

Which would negate having to make a thread asking "is this fake", but creating a "hey, I just spotted a fake and reported it" thread...that is what jstarr (I think) was trying to say...

Please click on those two searches, Gibson has an entire page dedicated to teaching the reader how to spot a fake.

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
I understand, but I'm trying to make a point One that you should understand that some will vent to conduct a search before asking "is this fake" in a new thread...and two....that...conducting a search on the serial number alone will result that it is a Chinese knock-off.

Which would negate having to make a thread asking "is this fake", but creating a "hey, I just spotted a fake and reported it" thread...that is what jstarr (I think) was trying to say...

Please click on those two searches, Gibson has an entire page dedicated to teaching the reader how to spot a fake.

Ah So. I think you are getting at what my intention was: I was trying to alert Forum members that I was pretty sure that I had spotted a fake (I have done lots of searches, both on the Forum and elsewhere). Some members were most helpful with their identifiers, so I learned some more.

So, you are saying "I spotted a fake and reported it" thread would be more acceptable? I like you, Drew. You don't come across as rude or obnoxious.

Drew71

Reaction score
Rockinroll,

This is the best advice I can give you. Download all of those images. Then go on Gibson's website. Attach those images to an email directed at customer service, asking customer service if the Gibson guitar in question is legit or fake. The response will be within an hour or so, with details exactly why said guitar is fake......and secondly, don't pick "fights" with other forum members...just sayin':wave:

Latest Threads