HELP! Is this a fake?

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
fake..just look at the bridge post..

Yes, OF COURSE. In my zeal to nail a bad guy, I forgot one of the tell-tale signs. THAT is why I came to you, THE EXPERTS. Thanks. Let's protect some poor soul from buying this piece of you-know-what

stone_gossard

Reaction score
The experts can tell, but I'm not, but that guitar is a bad fake, and sure many ppl can recognized that one is a bad fake.

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
You have to wonder if the seller got duped and is in turn trying to pass his/her mistake on. I'd HATE to see someone spend their hard-earned or long-saved $$ on this one. Some poor kid just hankering to get an LP. I guess I'm like Don Quixote, but I just HATE for the bad guys to win. Besides, we all prize our LP's and these fakes diminish ours :(

Jeffguy

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for anything that looks fishy and has a serial number of 00170.. Seems to be a favourite and it's stamped on almost all of the fakes.

Bridge posts, Horn, Finish, Inlays, Headstock - All wrong.

Hope no one bought this for Gibson prices …

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for anything that looks fishy and has a serial number of 00170.. Seems to be a favourite and it's stamped on almost all of the fakes.

Bridge posts, Horn, Finish, Inlays, Headstock - All wrong.

Hope no one bought this for Gibson prices …

Thanks for the specifics. Interesting info on the serial numbers. Just looked again--the photo of the back seems to be strips of wood glued together.

Scary thing about price: it's priced at what a reasonable real LP would run

2manyGuitars

Reaction score

Another big one is 02005***.

politenessman

Reaction score
not that i think this is real, but there are 3rd party locking bridges that have bridge posts something like that.

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score
Another big one is 02005***.

Dang, scary thing: I just looked up the serial number in guitardaterproject.org and this came back:

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
January 17th, 2000
Production Number: 132

I HATE bad guys

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
I'm shocked that people still have to ask if these are fake. If you can't tell by the serial number alone, you should take 5 minutes to do some Google or MLP "research."

FYI ~ The guitar dater is the musical instrument equivalent of a band name generator.

Maybe I'm grumpy tonight, but the "Is this fake?" posts everyday are getting old... Maybe we need an "Is This Fake" sub-forum.

[/Rant]

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I'm shocked that people still have to ask if these are fake. If you can't tell by the serial number alone, you should take 5 minutes to do some Google or MLP "research."

FYI ~ The guitar dater is the musical instrument equivalent of a band name generator.

Maybe I'm grumpy tonight, but the "Is this fake?" posts everyday are getting old... Maybe we need an "Is This Fake" sub-forum.

[/Rant]
Amen!

This isn't like trying to tell a fake Rolex from a real one, where you would need a jeweler's eye. The details of fake vs. real Gibson guitars are so blatantly obvious, even to an untrained eye, that it's ridiculous.

rockinroll

Banned
Reaction score

[/Rant]

PHEW, You ARE grumpy. I guess all I can say is if you are tired of "is this fake" DON'T READ THE POST. SHEESH--Some of us are trying to learn and were just not as "blessed" with the level of omnicience as you seem to think you are.

donw35

Reaction score
I tried to take a picture of my guitar to help you spot fakes.. the same angle the best I could

FAKE
donw35-albums-donw35-picture71593-fake-les-paul.jpg

Real 1994 Les Paul Classic
donw35-albums-donw35-picture71594-real-les-paul.jpg

what did you spot ?

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
PHEW, You ARE grumpy. I guess all I can say is if you are tired of "is this fake" DON'T READ THE POST. SHEESH--Some of us are trying to learn and were just not as "blessed" with the level of omnicience as you seem to think you are.

PRO TIP: Use the forum search feature before starting a thread. It's easy... even for someone without my level of "omnicience."

Maybe once you accumulate over 52 posts you can be a grumpy old bastard like me.

Latest Threads