Help Identifying Whether this Guitar was in the 2003 Brazilian Rosewood Run

rickruz88

Reaction score
Greetings!

I need help identifying whether a guitar that is currently listed in Reverb was actually one of the guitar in the 2003 Brazilian Rosewood run of guitars.

The serial number of the guitar is 0 3090 which would put it within the range of Brazilian Rosewood guitars. However, the plain top and and color makes be believe that this was a Guitar Center run guitar. What is confusing is that the serial number does not begin with a "G" like usual guitar center runs. Does the fact that it's serial number is within the Brazilian Rosewood range and there is no "G" mean that this a Brazilian Rosewood guitar?

I called Gibson and all they could tell me is that it was a indeed a Custom Shop guitar with a plain top and would not confirm whether it had a Brazilian board. I appreciate whatever help you can give me in identifying this.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
0 3001 to 0 3163 of which 50 are G0s and 20 were Specials.... those without the G0 prefix are Brazilian Rosewood.

rickruz88

Reaction score
Did all the guitar center run R0 always have the G0 designation? My biggest issue with this listing is the color, which to me screams guitar center run, especially given the plain top.

Does anyone know an example of a 2003 "G0"?

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did all the guitar center run R0 always have the G0 designation? My biggest issue with this listing is the color, which to me screams guitar center run, especially given the plain top.

Does anyone know an example of a 2003 "G0"?
Yes,... they all had the G0 prefix. These had amber top-hats without pointers if that helps.

Here's an example of a 2003 from reverb

rmhltanz2kvtmhegdu0g.jpg

vgk9qciazooccwvnaebr.jpg

rickruz88

Reaction score
I saw that ad but when you look at the certificate, the G0 is followed by a 6 meaning it's a 2006. I believe the person who posted that ad erroneously listed it as a 2003 when in fact it was a 2006.

I read another post from this forum where someone stated that the "G" designation on the guitar center run of guitars did not begin until 2004. I'm just trying to be cautions so I avoid being ripped off.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that ad but when you look at the certificate, the G0 is followed by a 6 meaning it's a 2006. I believe the person who posted that ad erroneously listed it as a 2003 when in fact it was a 2006.

I read another post from this forum where someone stated that the "G" designation on the guitar center run of guitars did not begin until 2004. I'm just trying to be cautions so I avoid being ripped off.
I do remember seeing that somewhere,... i believe you are correct. And yes the example i given may be a 2006 now that i looked into it.

My apologies.

Those reflector knobs on yours don't look like the smooth chrome insert like those on R0s but like aftermarket flat aluminum discs. Hard to see in that pic.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the pics in the reverb listing that you provided and I can’t find anything there that would suggest its a G0..... I can’t find any listings for the serials of G0s that were produced in 2003 except there were 50 made in that first 163 run of 1960 reissues... the lack of the G in serial complicates the matter.

I would think that the COA would have some sort of identifier.

I will keep digging.... in the meantime I’m sure someone can come along and provide some help.

Last edited:

rickruz88

Reaction score
I called Gibson again and got someone else on the line who confirmed that the serial number belonged to a Guitar Center order of guitars and that the color was something called a Tak Burst (phonetic spelling). They also told me that the official model number was
  • Lpr0ptkbnh1
They would not confirm whether this particular guitar would have had Brazilian Rosewood.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

This forum reply seems to confirm my suspicion.
The GC versions do not have BR fretboards...yes.

So this listing is misleading if the information provided by Gibson indicates it is in fact a G0 by its serial number.

rickruz88

Reaction score
Correct. I just informed the seller and they of course do not agree. He swears that it is a Brazilian board. Hopefully any potential buyers of this guitar read this forum post. Otherwise, they are likely to be fooled because I was nearly fooled myself.

rickruz88

Reaction score
The fact that the 2003 guitar center guitars do not seem to be designated with the G0 designation should be explicitly stated in the list that everyone uses to identify 2003 BR guitars.

J50315

Reaction score
Correct. I just informed the seller and they of course do not agree. He swears that it is a Brazilian board. Hopefully any potential buyers of this guitar read this forum post. Otherwise, they are likely to be fooled because I was nearly fooled myself.
Yeah the seller of the guitar has had it listed as “Brazilian” for a while but it’s not. Here’s a slightly related thread I dug up.

Latest Threads