Help identifying this Edwards

toxikomano

Reaction score
Hi, I need your help to identify this Edwards guitar, these are the only photos I have
Does anyone know what model it is and what year it was made?

The only number on the guitar is the one on the neck plate, I don't know what it means, all help will be appreciated.
Thanks

LTigh

Reaction score
It's an E-SE of some sort, maybe an early one given that the serial is on the neck plate. It's very hard to say, since if we go by the neck plate, it's probably a 1988, but ESP stamped out a huge surplus of neck plates and that neck plate could have been affixed to the guitar in 1988 or even years later.

Only way to be sure is to check if there's writing or stamps in the neck pocket or body cavity.

LTigh

Reaction score
Well, you may be buggered, then. Only other ways of identifying are the neck pocket or MAYBE the dates on the pots, assuming the pots haven't been replaced in the last 30 years (if the neck plate stamp is anywhere near accurate).

So right now the best guess is that it's an early E-SE.

If there's any consolation, there's rumor to the effect that many of the earliest Edwards were produced as a way to burn off a surplus of old ESPart guitar bodies and necks, so it may indeed have good bones (better than the current batch).

I can say that from my experience it's PLAUSIBLE that this may be the case, as ESP seems to have a glut of NOS stuff gathering dust in its various warehouses-- I remember in the 90s when Sunset Custom Guitars (ESP owner Histake Shibuya's personal guitar shop) used to have sidewalk sales and push out loads of 70s and 80s replacement bodies, necks, and kits (at one point I had 5 different ESP replacement necks that I bought for a song-- stupidly, I sold all but one of them). Also, in my last couple of tours of the ESP USA factory, I noticed that they keep an inordinate amount of old stock warehoused for some reason.

tl;dr: without any more info, best guess is that it's one of the earlier (earliest?) Edwards E-SE strat models. Possibly made from old ESPart replacement or kit bodies, since there was a huge surplus of them even into the mid-90s.

Latest Threads