Help identifying PAF

therealmf

Reaction score
Hi there,
I am trying to identify this PAF pickup. What I've found out so far:
- patent no. stamped into baseplate started 1974
- L shape tool marks on both feet
- 2-braided wire

Still, I don't know what type of pickup that is and what it might be going for. Can someone help me?
Thanks!

Markus

Attachments

fleahead

Reaction score
Not a PAF, need more pics and what's the readout?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
What he said. Plus what's with all the older members with hardly any posts?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
It’s a patent number stamped baseplate with two conductor wiring.

That’s all anyone can say from that photo without speculation.

The cover has been off. Nobody knows what’s inside. Could be a 70’s T-Top. Could be some other late-70’s or early 80’s humbucker design. Could be some badly rewound coils or spare parts. Could be a pack of bubblegum. We can’t know without seeing clear details of the insides, since the cover has been removed and that particular baseplate never indicated a specific model, even if the cover wasn’t removed, in this case.

jbash

Reaction score
Bubblegum pickups were an 80s thing.

ARandall

Reaction score
Those ink stamped numbers are typical of the 80's Shaw era. The short leg baseplate I think was Shaw era too.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
The short leg baseplate I think was Shaw era too.
It looks like someone cut those legs short with a pair of pliers and a hacksaw. Still, I wouldn't bet my house that the hack job wasn't done at the factory. They did have some uglies, back then. It's a pretty rough example, though, and I wouldn't buy it for $50 from the OP's photo.

Here's some short leg Shaws:

jbash

Reaction score
Plastic spacer = Shaws & (late) T tops (?) Possibly, based on pic, short magnet- which would also steer me towards T tops. But I'm not 100% versed on Shaw construction (though I had guitars with them BITD)

therealmf

Reaction score
Plastic spacer = Shaws & (late) T tops (?) Possibly, based on pic, short magnet- which would also steer me towards T tops. But I'm not 100% versed on Shaw construction (though I had guitars with them BITD)
Thanks a lot - is there any way to further confirm what that pickup is? Sorry, I am not an expert in these things but I would of course like to know if that pickups is something valuable...

ARandall

Reaction score
Thanks a lot - is there any way to further confirm what that pickup is?
The square in circle hole in the top of the bobbins means its a Shaw bobbin. As it makes zero sense during a transition time to keep winding the old pickup design on new bobbins then this make it a Shaw coil too.

therealmf

Reaction score
The square in circle hole in the top of the bobbins means its a Shaw bobbin. As it makes zero sense during a transition time to keep winding the old pickup design on new bobbins then this make it a Shaw coil too.
Ok but I think this pu doesn’t have the “square in circle” holes...or am I missing something?

ARandall

Reaction score
Yes, you're missing something.

The two holes at the top of the bobbin of the pic you supplied in post #10

therealmf

Reaction score
Are you talking of the red part visible through the hole? I do see something red underneath the hole and I've recognized that on other Shaw Pus as well. I just thought "square in a circle" meant a square cutout?

edit: sorry, I feel a little stupid. But I am really thankful that you're willing to educate me on this.

ARandall

Reaction score
The 'square in a circle' is because inside the circle hole there is a square hole.

Latest Threads