Help identifying famous 1970s guitarists who played Les Paul Customs?

CoolRene

Reaction score
Gibson labeled their 1974 Les Paul Custom reissue as "The Custom That Rocked The '70s! " Can anyone help me identify some of the guitarists from the 1970s that played Les Paul Customs? The two I already know would be Randy Rhodes and Steve Jones.

Thank you!
Jan Akkerman of Focus, Henry Mc Cullough of Spooky Tooth, Mick Jones and of course Keith Richards

anorton

Reaction score
Steve Marriott.
38CC86F3-68CF-48AD-8DFC-44B4A5B46EBF.jpeg

AJK1

Reaction score
I saw Steve Marriot live in a pub in Sydney in the early 80’s playing that guitar through a Marshall stack and I gotta say his tone/voice and band were effing effing effing amazing
I was standing about 10 feet from him at the front and I was spellbound, I could see, hear and feel everything
He was a major factor in me playing Les Pauls through Marshall’s
I bought a 72 LP Custom not long after seeing him that night
It’s the guitar in my avatar
I stupidly sold that guitar when I got married
It took me a long time but I always knew I’d get another Custom one day
That’s why I bought my new Custom recently
I got a white one this time, and it is a monster
It rocks
That night changed my life
Absolute legend
RIP Steve

Last edited:

lemmy loud

Reaction score
Keith has already been mentioned, but I thought I would post this endorsement advertisement. The weird thing is, when this was published, he was mostly into Teles. Regardless Keith/Custom is iconic. Depending on who you read, some people said Keith was responsible for making the Les Paul "cool" back in the mid 60s.
LP Custom.png

lemmy loud

Reaction score
Love 'em or hate em, the Runaways are significant, historically speaking. Joan is OG Riot Grrrl. As a lil adolescent horn dog back then, I loved them, It was hard though ... To be a music guy in hi skool in the area I was from, and say you like the Runaways or the Sex Pist0ls was grounds for getting removed from the cool kids table in the cafeteria

Attachments

• Jett Custom.jpg
    Jett Custom.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 29

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Let's not forget that when Def Leppard started, they were a drinking, gritty dual-Les Paul-slinging outfit from London in the late 1970s. Contrary to their overall album sales, the band's best efforts were their first two albums featuring that untamed 6-string interplay between original guitarists Steve Clark and Pete Willis (On Through The Night and High N' Dry). These two albums are very different and quite good, especially when compared against what they later became, with Willis and Clark being ousted for Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell.
Steve Clark played three-pickup Les Paul Customs extensively (Willis often played Les Paul Standards and Explorers).
7156cab218eb3e24cac48af641dec23a.jpg

R.b2c7d377be7f8b9fe36e02facda5ba1e

jamason

Reaction score
Gibson labeled their 1974 Les Paul Custom reissue as "The Custom That Rocked The '70s! " Can anyone help me identify some of the guitarists from the 1970s that played Les Paul Customs? The two I already know would be Randy Rhodes and Steve Jones.

Thank you!

Peter Frampton... the #1 reason I bought a Les Paul Custom for my first real guitar. 1979 LP Custom (Natural)
FramptonLPNew.jpg
FramptonLPOrig.jpg
GuitarStuff_Charleston.jpg

Latest Threads