Help identifying a Gibson LP i was thinking of buying

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Hi all..i seen a guitar online which is for sale from a private seller living near me in the UK. Im a bit confused what model this is? Is it any good? How much are they worth 2nd hand?
Here are a few photos and also the Gibson Custom Cert says LPR-0. Anyone like to explain what this means?

Sorry im a newbie and thought id get some advice before buying...

Attachments

• LP1.jpg
    LP1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 114
  • LP2.jpg
    LP2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 97
  • LP3.jpg
    LP3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 82
  • LP4.jpg
    LP4.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 80
  • LP5.jpg
    LP5.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 83

mchoate1

Reaction score
Gibson Custom Cert says LPR-0. = It is a Les Paul Reissue 1960. It sure does look good...

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Gibson Custom Cert says LPR-0. = It is a Les Paul Reissue 1960. It sure does look good...
That's not a CS Reissue. It's a LP 1960 Classic RI. Basically a "poor man's reissue".

As for the R-0, mine has the same thing, written in ink, in the neck pickup cavity.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Specs and stuff vary from different periods so it's not always easy to tell.
LPR-0 are Gibson Custom 1960 reissue.
They usually have different knobs and covers on the pickups.
Check that the serial number on the Certificate of Authenticity matches the serial number of the guitar.

At first glance, this looks more like a Classic. Nice but less expensive.
I would like to see pictures of the headstock and of the serial number.
It has the "regular" brown case with pink interior of the '90s - '00s.
The Custom Shop cases are black with Custom Shop logo in gold on it or brown with a different pink interior (see pic).
If you remove the controls cover plate, what's the inscription in it. LPC? R0?
Tell the seller you're really interested but before going to try it you want an extensive set of pics, including cavities.

Here's a LP R0

productImage

productImage

productImage

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Looks like a Les Paul Classic to me.

Thin neck and hot thin sounding pickups.

I had one and I was a great guitar. Thin neck need to suit you tho

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Ah right I see..I think hes saying its a 2000 year..anyone any idea of how much its worth ish just now?

Ill see if I can get more photos..the serial does match the cert and headstock

The cert says lpr-0

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
From my experience they sell for slightly less than standards. Im not from the UK so cant tell you more about price

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Check that the serial number on the Certificate of Authenticity matches the serial number of the guitar.

The Custom Shop cases are black with Custom Shop logo in gold on it or brown with a different pink interior (see pic).
Tell the seller you're really interested but before going to try it you want an extensive set of pics, including cavities.

Ive asked the Guy to check and he said it says "TA R0" under the control cavity. Its a transamber finish and its an R0?? is an R0 any different or any better than a LPR0 or is it just the same thing?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If it says R0, it must be a Custom Shop 1960 Reissue.
If the serial number is the same on the COA and headstock, another sign that it's legit, unless the guy is a total con artist!
I'm just surprised it looks so much like a Classic, although Classic's
had the greenish inlays which this one doesn't have.
The covers might have been removed and the knobs, easy to change.

I have to say it could very well be a legit R0, therefore would be worth more than a Classic. Can you get a pic of the serial number?

rockstar232007

Reaction score

Ive asked the Guy to check and he said it says "TA R0" under the control cavity. Its a transamber finish and its an R0?? is an R0 any different or any better than a LPR0 or is it just the same thing?
It's NOT an "R0" (Custom Shop Reissue). It's a Gibson USA-made Les Paul Classic, made with some 1960 specs (smaller headstock, thinner neck, etc).

Here in the US, they can range anywhere from $1,000-$1,500, depending on condition.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
It's NOT an "R0" (Custom Shop Reissue). It's a Gibson USA-made Les Paul Classic, made with some 1960 specs (smaller headstock, thinner neck, etc).

Here in the US, they can range anywhere from $1,000-$1,500, depending on condition.

A little puzzled by this one. As I posted before, I think it looks like a Classic, has the right case for a Classic.
So must be a Classic.
The R0 inscription inside the cavity would make it a CS RI, doesn't it? I have never checked inside a Classic
but I would not think that it has R0 printed in the cavity. Although at this point, we have the word of the seller and no pic!
The Certificate could be fake, scan, photoshop, add serial number, all within the realm of possibilities.

For now, I have to say that with what we see, it's a Classic.

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Agreed - doesn't look like a historic reissue to me, more like a Classic. How about a pic of the back of the headstock showing the serial number.

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Agreed - doesn't look like a historic reissue to me, more like a Classic. How about a pic of the back of the headstock showing the serial number.

Heres more photos

Attachments

• $_79.jpeg
    $_79.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 32
  • $_79-3.jpeg
    $_79-3.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 41

joedonner2001

Reaction score
Having thought about it (the serial number) - I'd still say that's a Classic, and definitely not a historic reissue R0.

I'd email those pics to Gibson Customer Services and ask them if they can identify the guitar: [email protected]

And, btw - I really like the top and colour of it.

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Having thought about it (the serial number) - I'd still say that's a Classic, and definitely not a historic reissue R0.

I'd email those pics to Gibson Customer Services and ask them if they can identify the guitar: [email protected]

And, btw - I really like the top and colour of it.

thanks..yeah I love the top too..is it a trans amber plain top then?
The guys after 1200 gbp for it tho..hes willing to take 1100..I still think expensive for a classic

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
Does look a bit like it. Whatever it is, I like the colour.

£1100 if it's in good condition doesn't sound entirely unreasonable to me.

Always a good idea to confirm with Gibson before you buy, though.

Hmm...but there are some cheaper on Ebay, though: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201031427182

im only thinking that its expensive as theres 2010 traditionals going for 1200 ish on ebay and gumtree...

The other 1960s on ebay are not in this finish..the only one I can see is in a shop in England for 1250

Reno_1ted

Reaction score
£1000 tops I would say. If he is local offer him cash on collection off eBay. Saves him 75 quid so more likely to get a deal as he can then cancel auction.

Ramsayjim

Reaction score
£1000 tops I would say. If he is local offer him cash on collection off eBay. Saves him 75 quid so more likely to get a deal as he can then cancel auction.

the guy that's selling it is local to myself..he is selling it on a local site and not on ebay so theres no fees involved etc..

hes asking 1200 and is only willing to do 1100

Latest Threads