Help Identify my Eddie LP

cheeseflavor

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just bought this thing off of eBay. It's supposedly a 2003 Edwards Les Paul. I don't really have reason to doubt that, but I'm wondering WTH model this thing could be.

• It's definitely pre-2004 as there is no serial number on the back of the headstock.
  • The neck is frickin' huge. Much fatter than the neck on my R8. Also the heel on the neck is huge. Looks like a '57 or '56 with the neck profile.
  • It's all nitro. The ad made no mention of this, but when I got it, I could immediately tell by the way it felt. Also had that sweet smell that nitro lacquer has. Naturally, I borrowed the wife's acetone and tested a small area in the control cavity. Melted like cotton candy when you put a drop of water on it.
  • It's got this "by Navigator" truss rod cover. Never seen that before.
  • The electronics have all been modified, with the exception of the pots, so no idea what it came stock with to help identify it.
  • It has a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece, which in my experience, only the higher end Eddies came with. It came stock with the Gotoh Kluson style tuners which the previous owner replaced with Gibson Deluxe tuners.
  • Still has the stock bone nut.
  • ABR-1 bridge.
  • Weight is on the heavy side for an Eddie. Right around 8lbs, 4oz on my scale.
  • Two piece mahogany back rather than the single piece I'm used to on later Eddies.
Here's some pics (these are the seller's pics. All credit goes to him for the pics. I haven't had a chance to snap any pics yet.):

So, I'm wondering if this could be some kind of '57 LP model by Edwards. The all nitro, huge neck thing has me puzzled. Any thoughts?

Steve

morats8up

Reaction score
:thumb: Nice Steve! I have no idea but, I love it!

slapshot

Reaction score
similar but gold and '80s according to the experts

later edwards have 1 piece backs?

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Steve, my guess would be a transitional model from the late 90's, JUST before Edwards started and were decided to be a budget 'Navigator" of sorts and thus shipped off to China for manufacturing.
That is essentially a 280 Navigator I would say!
Based upon the lack of FEB, spade truss cover, and "Limited' logo, definitely a 99/2000 I bet, prototype perhaps?
Killer man, well done and a keeper just based upon the collectibility alone!
Both my Navs have retardly HUGE necks as well, I love em

Slap I think yours is an early to mid 90's

slapshot

Reaction score
with the no serial ,short tenon , 2 screw TRC , 1 piece back, grovers, shallow carve & the word of koiz then yeah it could be
*makes thumbs down farting noise*

but that blacktop could be some uber gigga rare ORDER MADE one

0x00

Banned
Reaction score
This is another fine example of the Edwards "Looks Awesome" series.

BGD

Reaction score
Well, that's frickin' gorgeous.

cheeseflavor

Premium Member
Reaction score
Steve, my guess would be a transitional model from the late 90's, JUST before Edwards started and were decided to be a budget 'Navigator" of sorts and thus shipped off to China for manufacturing.
That is essentially a 280 Navigator I would say!
Based upon the lack of FEB, spade truss cover, and "Limited' logo, definitely a 99/2000 I bet, prototype perhaps?
Killer man, well done and a keeper just based upon the collectibility alone!
Both my Navs have retardly HUGE necks as well, I love em
Thanks Udo! I was hoping you would chime in. It's definitely something special. The owner said it originally had uncovered zebra pups in it, though he didn't know what brand. I'm guessing Seymour Duncan SH-1n and SH-4b based on every other Eddie LP I had. It's got (shudder) burstbuckers in it now and those will come flying out of there this weekend. The reason I mention that is do you think I'll find any sort of identifying marks under the pups or in the control cavity?

Every time I pick it up I chuckle at the sheer diameter of the neck. I'll have to take the calipers to it, but based on my R8, I'd say it's well over 1" thick at the first fret. It currently has shit for strings on, but already I can tell it's very resonant. Downright loud when played unplugged.

Cheers, thanks for the pointers and if anyone else has more info, I'm all ears!

Steve

Darwin

Reaction score
That looks brand new! Nice score, Steve.

Interesting color combination.

slapshot

Reaction score
stock pickups,tenon,cavity.
only mark on mine was that quality control red stamp

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, check the cavities for sure!

jacco

Reaction score

Pot codes Slap?
I'm pretty sure I've seen a 1993 Navigator from a Japanese member with the same distinct control cavity but I can't seem to find his post anymore

jacco

Reaction score
@OP: congrats man, that's one hell of a nice LP!

emptyisvarah

Reaction score
based on the pic alone,it does have a HUUUGE neck.. niceeee!!! congrats!!
fatty necks saves the world! :)

tonebone

Reaction score
Very late 90s-very early 00s.

I've seen several Eds from that time frame with a light blue top, pretty much identical to yours, Cheese.

And that's one damn fine lookin' git you scored there. I'll bet your dead chuffed over this Ed, as you right well oughta be.

pics of my old 03-04 neck cav,

Slap's GT is a classic case of a very old Ed.

You'll know a lot more once you get those bb's outa there.

tonebone

Reaction score

Holy crap Ned, lookit the solderin' on yer pots! Some kinda superhuman construction skills.

Corse, it comes from Japan ...

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
based on the pic alone,it does have a HUUUGE neck.. niceeee!!! congrats!!
fatty necks saves the world! :)
I thought fat bottom girls that did that?
Oh no oops, they make the world go round, right sorry nevermind.