Help!!! Haha!! Want to replace a 70/80 speaker...

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don’t we all?! Haha kidding!
But on a serious note...loving my new Marshall DSL 20CR....but I’m noticing the next level it can get too and it’s worth the $100 give or take on a speaker upgrade.

I go from Petty, Huey Lewis, Bryan Adams, most importantly up to tight classsic heavy thrash tone up to a modern Prong tightness.
Are greenbacks not a safe bet? 65’s, V30?
Open to any and all makers, thanks!!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
But on a serious note...loving my new Marshall DSL 20CR....but I’m noticing the next level it can get too and it’s worth the $100 give or take on a speaker upgrade.

I go from Petty, Huey Lewis, Bryan Adams, most importantly up to tight classsic heavy thrash tone up to a modern Prong tightness.

As I have stated before (evening to the extent of ignoring wattage...err...), I love the WGS Green Beret. You could get the best of both worlds and get a 1x12 cab with a WGS GB and keep the original in tact. I don't know if using an external cab will defeat the combo speaker or work in unison with it. The latter would be nice... If the external jack defeats the speaker, you could wire both speakers together (in series or parallel) and then put both of them into the appropriate output jack to match the impedance.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
If you mainly play metal, go with a V30.
There is a reason why its a de facto standard in metal (recording). Those aggressive mids cut very well and the bass is tight.
A greenback is too flubby in the low end for anything but classic heavy metal IMHO. Great for lower gain tones though.

Make sure to give that V30 (any speaker really) a good break in.
It will sound very harsh at first.

drmmrr55

Reaction score
I've heard that the WGS Veteran 30 speaker is a killer replacement for the DSL40C over the seventy-80 Celestion. I've also read that the Celestion Creamback is probably the best replacement for the DSL40C, but at $165, pretty expensive for me.

The WGS Veteran is under $100, so they are pretty low priced as well for the budget minded musician. Myself, I did the clip the cap 19 mod on my DSL40C, and now I really like the sound of my seventy-80, so I will be leaving it in.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

GREAT to see ya, brother; I have not seen you in a while

scozz

Reaction score
That’s my next amp @needlespauls....right after the holidays.

A couple of months ago I bought a DSL1HR and a Marshall MX112R cabinet....it came with a Seventy/80. :420:

I replaced it with a G12M-65 Creamback and I couldn’t be happier. This amp really sounds great now. When I get my DSL20CR, the first I’m doing is changing out the stock Seventy/80 for a G12M-65 Creamback.

I did quite a bit of research on replacement speakers, and it came down to the Creamback 65 and the Greenback, (25 or 30), I even talked to a tech from Marshall. He, along with others, suggested the Creamback 65.

Their thinking was....although the Greenbacks are an excellent choice for a 4-12 or even 2-12 cabs, they are not the best choice for a single 12” cabinet, or combo.

Almost everyone I talked to about it recording the Creamback 65 over the Greenbacks for a 1-12 enclosure.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That’s my next amp @needlespauls....right after the holidays.

A couple of months ago I bought a DSL1HR and a Marshall MX112R cabinet....it came with a Seventy/80. :420:

I replaced it with a G12M-65 Creamback and I couldn’t be happier. This amp really sounds great now. When I get my DSL20CR, the first I’m doing is changing out the stock Seventy/80 for a G12M-65 Creamback.

I did quite a bit of research on replacement speakers, and it came down to the Creamback 65 and the Greenback, (25 or 30), I even talked to a tech from Marshall. He, along with others, suggested the Creamback 65.

Their thinking was....although the Greenbacks are an excellent choice for a 4-12 or even 2-12 cabs, they are not the best choice for a single 12” cabinet, or combo.

Almost everyone I talked to about it recording the Creamback 65 over the Greenbacks for a 1-12 enclosure.

It is a great great amp, especially at mid volumes and up. Absolutely comes alive. The 2525C I very sadly had to sell earlier this year could sound fantastic whisper quiet and up levels, and that one had a G12M...One of the newer ones made in England. Absolutely loved the sound of that amp but my only potential complaint was that the bass wasn’t super tight.
In any case I think you’ll really enjoy the DSL 20CR!! I’ll have to look into this creamback as well!!

scozz

Reaction score
It is a great great amp, especially at mid volumes and up. Absolutely comes alive. The 2525C I very sadly had to sell earlier this year could sound fantastic whisper quiet and up levels, and that one had a G12M...One of the newer ones made in England. Absolutely loved the sound of that amp but my only potential complaint was that the bass wasn’t super tight.
In any case I think you’ll really enjoy the DSL 20CR!! I’ll have to look into this creamback as well!!

Well it’s a lot of power for a at home player, (me), but there’s something about it that intrigues me.

How’s the sound at lower volumes? I’ve heard from others that this amp does that very well, but I’d like to get your opinion.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The sound is good at super low volume, but I wouldn’t say great. You can get as much gain as you want certainly on the Ultra Channel, but it’s not going to be that full sounding and the frequencies are super high almost no matter how you set the EQ. That is whisper quiet, “don’t wake anyone up” type volumes. Once you hit say, one on the master and up EQ comes in to play more and you have more fullness and feel and sustain. I must say the 2525C Is WAY better at low volumes. The DSL 20CR is more versatile overall. If you really don’t think that you’re going to be playing out at all with the amp, don’t rule out the DSL5CR. I have heard great things about that amp! I just know at some point I’m going to be bringing this for live and studio work so I needed something small enough yet big enough if you know what I mean Haha!! I know you didn’t ask for the comparison over the Mini Jubilee, But that’s what I have to most recently compare it to as well as a Vox AC15C1. The DSL is better than the blocks at low volume, not nearly as good as the mini JuBilee. The DSL5CR is one to check out as well.
But yes....this amp is FUN!!!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm using all Creambacks for my DSL40c. There is one in the combo amp and I have an external 212 with them as well.

Now, metal is something I don't play a lot but the amp definitely can do metal. The V30s are kind of the metal standard as someone else mentioned but I have a friend who only plays metal and hates them. I'm not sure though he ever broke his speakers in? Anyway, he prefers the Creambacks as well.

scozz

Reaction score
The sound is good at super low volume, but I wouldn’t say great. You can get as much gain as you want certainly on the Ultra Channel, but it’s not going to be that full sounding and the frequencies are super high almost no matter how you set the EQ. That is whisper quiet, “don’t wake anyone up” type volumes. Once you hit say, one on the master and up EQ comes in to play more and you have more fullness and feel and sustain. I must say the 2525C Is WAY better at low volumes. The DSL 20CR is more versatile overall. If you really don’t think that you’re going to be playing out at all with the amp, don’t rule out the DSL5CR. I have heard great things about that amp! I just know at some point I’m going to be bringing this for live and studio work so I needed something small enough yet big enough if you know what I mean Haha!! I know you didn’t ask for the comparison over the Mini Jubilee, But that’s what I have to most recently compare it to as well as a Vox AC15C1. The DSL is better than the blocks at low volume, not nearly as good as the mini JuBilee. The DSL5CR is one to check out as well.
But yes....this amp is FUN!!!

Actually I AM also considering the DSL5CR...just not crazy about it having a 10” speaker. I heard some guys routed them out for a 12”...so that’s a possibility I guess.

I’m not concerned with super low volumes...I have the house to myself 4 days a week and I can rock out a bit. I was thinking about using the 20cr on the 10 watt setting a lot, (that would make it about only 3 decibels louder than the 5cr)...I heard that sounds good compared to other amps with this feature because it’s not pentode/triode.

On that setting it would be about twice as loud as my DSL1HR thru the 12” cab I use with it.

Idk....maybe I’ll buy them both and see which works better for me. The problem with that is I’ll probably find a reason to keep both! :naughty:

Do you use your 20 on the 10 watt setting much @needlespauls?

(Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack your thread with all my concerns) :(

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Actually I AM also considering the DSL5CR...just not crazy about it having a 10” speaker. I heard some guys routed them out for a 12”...so that’s a possibility I guess.

I’m not concerned with super low volumes...I have the house to myself 4 days a week and I can rock out a bit. I was thinking about using the 20cr on the 10 watt setting a lot, (that would make it about only 3 decibels louder than the 5cr)...I heard that sounds good compared to other amps with this feature because it’s not pentode/triode.

On that setting it would be about twice as loud as my DSL1HR thru the 12” cab I use with it.

Idk....maybe I’ll buy them both and see which works better for me. The problem with that is I’ll probably find a reason to keep both! :naughty:

Do you use your 20 on the 10 watt setting much @needlespauls?

(Sorry, I don’t mean to hijack your thread with all my concerns) :(

Ah nice!! Well where you have the option to turn it up a bit then yeah I would definitely say go with the 20. 10watt mode is where I am mostly and it definitely sounds great on that. Full 20 W is way louder!!! Like, woah!!!

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I had mine but it sounded great with a V30. Anything is an upgrade over the 70/80

I’m starting to go this direction I’m thinking. I think if I had a nice 4x12 cabinet and I could really move some crazy air that might be nice having some good greenbacks in it...
But for a bit more “thunk” to the feel and sound of this combo...I’m leaning V30 I think. I think hahaha

Latest Threads