Help! Fulltone OCD - never tried before gig

Mike J.

Reaction score
Okay folks, may I ask your advice please?

I play a Strat into a Marshall JTM 45, channels bridged, the sound is warm and not overdirven. So far I used a TS9 only for the solos. I now ordered a Fulltone OCD to improve my sound. I play a gig this coming friday and have no chance to check the pedal before. How would you set the pedal. would you combine it with the TS9? The sound we play is Blues, like Sean Costello or stuff from Susan Teeschi. I would like the OCD to give my clean sound a little transparency with backed volume and use the guitar volume to get crunchier sounds for solos maybe.

Any suggestions from you guys (settings)? I do not need very distoreted sounds for the gig...

Thanks.

MJ

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
There are some instructions in the box with the pedal--they tell you what you need to know.

You'll probably want it on the Low setting, volume around unity gain (volume same before/after you turn it on) and the drive where you need it. It does respond well to guitar volume controls, as well.

It sounds like you may have wanted a Fatboost instead of the OCD though--the OCD is designed to give you Marshall crunch. The OCD works well with the TS9 though...I ran my TS9 before the OCD, and it made it sound better...just MORE of everything. :D

BB

[Edit] If you're looking for thickness during your solos, and cleans with the volume backed off, then the OCD will work. (Re-read your post, it's not very clear what you want). Mike Fuller plays Strats as well (as do I very often) and he uses it for that. Also try rolling the Tone for the bridge pickup back to 5 (if your Strat is not wired that way I'd get that done...huge improvement). My Strat is wired so the first Tone goes to the neck, second to the bridge. Middle pickup doesn't need it.

Mike J.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply! Your "edit" is what I was actually looking for and I think that is the way to go for me.

MesaBoogie

Reaction score
I'd go also with the "LP" setting, tone at about 9-11, volume at unity (as stated previously), drive at about 12-13. Fiddle with your guitar volume to get it clean and dirty as desired.

Grtz,
Mesa.

GuitarnLax36

Reaction score
i have one of these version 4 the newer one. I LOVE IT! My recommended settings for what you want is the volume at about 12:00 or more to give it a bit of a boost. The gain knob should be set almost halfway be at 7 or 8 o clock to give it a bit of a gain boost. The OCD really is dynamic when you turn down your guitars volume it will clean up too. Good luck with the gig bro and have fun!

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Marshalls tend to be edgy to begin with, so I'd watch the tone knob. Of course this is my personal taste, some people like edgy. One thing you can try: use the volume to boost and keep the drive down low. Im in a blues rock cover band and thats how I use it, I dont like it too gritty. Its a very versitle pedal, in any event you will have no problem getting a great sound.

gearmanndude

Reaction score
not really what you're looking for, but here's a clip of different settings on all 4 different versions..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPzxj5MJR8&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Fulltone OCD Versions 1 2 3 4 ALL OF THEM with Les Paul and Dr Z MAZ Amplifier[/ame]

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all sounded good, but slightly different.

#4 seemed like a tone/volume sucker, most noticeably in the earlier clips, while 1, 2, and 3 sounded more similar.

#2 seemed a little tighter, more punchy, and sounded a little more tonal. Again #2 stood out (to me) more in the earlier examples and less so towards the end.

My 2nd favorite over-all was #3.

Nice little demonstration. :thumb:

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention.... killer boots! :cool:

Mike J.

Reaction score
Wow! That were some very helpful answers. Think I'm ready for the gig! The video was awesome - thaks GMD!

Bluesjam

Reaction score
I just got my OCD today. A new version 4. My 2001 LP with Habaneros pups & Dime Crybaby from Hell and the OCD into a 99 Deluxe Reverb with a G12H30. DR has bright cap clipped and a mix of Tung Sol and JJ's. I have to say that I'm very happy with the OCD. Looks like it's going to work well with the DR. Tomorrow I will plug the OCD into the DSL 50. I really bought the OCD for the DR, I usually just plug straight into the DSL. The DR is my jam amp and I wanted one pedal that would work well with it and I think it's going to. Maybe I can get something recorded this weekend.

Blues Rocker

Reaction score
#3 definitely has a more ballsy sound to my ears.
Followed by:

I own the v3, so I may be influencing my vote with what is familiar to me, but I still stand by my vote.

Gearmanndude, you flat rock....and always provide meaningful video demos.

Latest Threads