Help dating this LP

HANG TIGHT

Reaction score
That guitar is awesome and I have a few questions, as well as pictures you may want to see of a similar one. please DM me thanks!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Well, don't be shy, post the pictures here so we can all see? :photos:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Those are not Gibson factory routes.

Either that guitar had minis/P90's or it was routed for HB's at a different factory or shop.

That also does not look like a maple cap, it looks like Hog.

101ABN327

Reaction score
My buddy has had this since we were in high school. It was his grandfather's, I think. We're pretty certain it has been refinished, because the back is Gold and the serial number is pretty hard to read. The bridge doesn't look like anything stock. We think the serial number 122487. Based on the serial number dating websites I've looked at, I think it's early 70's, but I've not seen one that had a Deluxe headstock and ebony fretboard but with a wrap-tail bridge. These are the only pictures we have at the moment. View attachment 459372

View attachment 459373
My buddy has had this since we were in high school. It was his grandfather's, I think. We're pretty certain it has been refinished, because the back is Gold and the serial number is pretty hard to read. The bridge doesn't look like anything stock. We think the serial number 122487. Based on the serial number dating websites I've looked at, I think it's early 70's, but I've not seen one that had a Deluxe headstock and ebony fretboard but with a wrap-tail bridge. These are the only pictures we have at the moment. View attachment 459372

View attachment 459373
Looks like it says 122487 and Made in USA below...

HANG TIGHT

Reaction score
I repaired the neck break it has a modern dual-action truss rod installed and a square rod channel to match

pumpkinbread

Reaction score
that bridge is called a harmonica bridge. it was used on early 70's SG models among others. The pot date code of 1378805, indicates 5th week of 1988 for the production of the pots, so if they are original, then the guitar can't be older than feb 1988.

it also has a date code that can only partially be read, that is 137801?, that would indicate 1980, and week 10 thru 19 for the possible production date(s). its odd to see the mixing of wire wrapped (shielded) and cloth wrapped (unshielded) and plastic wires (the grounds), don't think that was a factory wiring job, especially with the huge variance in dates of the pots.

so appears to be a 1980's model, but would need a lot more research to come to a true conclusive dating.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
that bridge is called a harmonica bridge. it was used on early 70's SG models among others. The pot date code of 1378805, indicates 5th week of 1988 for the production of the pots, so if they are original, then the guitar can't be older than feb 1988.

it also has a date code that can only partially be read, that is 137801?, that would indicate 1980, and week 10 thru 19 for the possible production date(s). its odd to see the mixing of wire wrapped (shielded) and cloth wrapped (unshielded) and plastic wires (the grounds), don't think that was a factory wiring job, especially with the huge variance in dates of the pots.

so appears to be a 1980's model, but would need a lot more research to come to a true conclusive dating.
The bridge on the gold guitar is not a harmonic, but rather a gold-plated Leo Quan Badass. Those came stock on stuff like B.C. Rich and Kramers in the 70s.

pumpkinbread

Reaction score
The bridge on the gold guitar is not a harmonic, but rather a gold-plated Leo Quan Badass. Those came stock on stuff like B.C. Rich and Kramers in the 70s.
you're right about the bridge, I don't know what I was looking at to see a harmonica bridge. good call.

Latest Threads