Help Dating Steve Gaines' Custom Les Paul

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
My favorite guitar player is Steve Gaines from Lynyrd Skynyrd. There is some disagreement on the year of his Black Custom Les Paul. The official website says it was a '58 Custom but a friend of his says he went with him to buy it and it was new in '68. While Gaines has many fans, most are not knowledgeable about guitars. So I thought I would turn to the experts here to find out. I thought '58 Customs had three pickups, but I could be wrong about that. Any help would be appreciated. (As a side note, it also appears a different Strat that he played was sent to the R&R HOF)

Steve Gaines 1.jpg
Steve and Ronnie.jpg
Steve Gaines 3.jpg
Steve Gaines Custom 2.jpg
Steve Gaines Custom.jpg
Steve Gaines One in the Sun.jpg
Steve Gaines Custom 3.jpg

MIJLP

Reaction score
What's with the selector switch?

It's a die on the switch tip. I've seen them drilled for three way switches before, but of course this is the only image I can find right now. Being that it was back in the day, Steve probably drilled out a real die and slapped it on there. Okie ingenuity.
die.jpg

Last edited:

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
So, no experts on here can tell if it is a '58 or '68? I was hoping to get a definite answer. Cheers y'all.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, no experts on here can tell if it is a '58 or '68? I was hoping to get a definite answer. Cheers y'all.
In 1958 the last 3 fretboard MOP inlays would be the same size like this 1958.

FullSizeRender.jpg

In 1968 the last 3 fretboard MOP inlays graduate to smaller....like this 1968.
Gibson68LPCstEB519803_2.jpg

From the pics provided it looks like Gaine's Custom is a '68.
Steve Gaines 1.jpg

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Agreed, looks like a '68. Really just wanted to say that Ronnie's silhouette in that second pic is so badass. He was the quintessential rock frontman, in my book.

MIJLP

Reaction score
Agreed, looks like a '68. Really just wanted to say that Ronnie's silhouette in that second pic is so badass. He was the quintessential rock frontman, in my book.
Never wore shoes on stage either. Said he wanted to feel the stage burn. With Allen, Gary, Steve, Leon, Billy, Artimus and the Honkettes on a bandstand, burning is an understatement. More like the core of the sun.

Allen and Gary were the reason I started playing guitar. Steve wasn't there for the beginning, but damn, that man could play. What did Ronnie say on 'One More from the Road' (or was it Knebworth)? "Gonna sic an Okie on ya!"

David Garner

Reaction score
Dating Steve Gaines' LP? My advice is get to know it first. Go on some fun adventures like a ballgame or to the park. Don't rush things. If it's meant to be, it will happen.

Wait, what?

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Ok that made me laugh. :rofl:But on his Facebook tribute page, it has been greatly discussed. It was always said to be a '58 Custom and even the R&R HOF says it is a '58. However, a guy who played with him in Crawdad said he was with him when he bought it new in '68. It kind of blew us all away that this guy was on the page. On another note, I think Steve was a monster player and it would have been Lynyrd Skynyrd and Steve Gaines for their second studio album together. He was that good. Even RVZ said it would have become Steve's band.

Latest Threads