Help choosing a new amp with a nice clean sound.

Tucker2121

Reaction score
By the end of this month im planning on have gotten rid of my Line 6 Spyder 3 15 watt practice amp and getting some better equipment now that im better and in a band. Im getting the Boss OD-20 so Distortion is covered. I just need some suggestions on what amp to get. All i need is a good clean sound to go with my Epiphone Les Paul (everything stock on it) . My price range is around $250-$300 maybe a little more. If you could post some links with some amps that would be great! Here are some that I have been looking at lately. Tell me if you think they have a good clean channel (Only i don't care about the overdrive channel). Also i really like fender amps for there clean channels. :thumb:

Fender FM65DSP 65 Watt 1x12 Frontman Combo Amp and more Guitar Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.

Fender Frontman 65R 65W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp and more Guitar Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.

Fender Super Champ XD Guitar Combo Amp and more Guitar Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.

Marshall MG4 Series MG30FX 30W 1x10 Guitar Combo Amp (Black) and more Guitar Amplifiers at GuitarCenter.com.

barrydjuptight

Reaction score
The Marshall has an average clean at best,

The Superchamp XD has a great clean but won't be powerfull enough for gigging unless you can mic it. You won't need the pedal with it for OD though.

The Frontman's have excellent clean, I use a Frontman 212R for just that. Unless you need the DSP desperately, which are fun but limited, I'd stick to the 65R.

The Boss pedal won't quite interact with these amps as well as it would with a valve amp for distortion but will sound ok (I've tried a couple of Vintage Jap Boss's in mine and got a perfectly acceptable tone).

The Fender SS are great for cleans which is why I use them but if you are looking at using a lot of OD/Dist it may be worth saving a little more and looking to the used market for a second hand peavey Classic 30 for example (which will give you a decent clean and work well with your pedal.)

Tucker2121

Reaction score
The Marshall has an average clean at best,

The Superchamp XD has a great clean but won't be powerfull enough for gigging unless you can mic it. You won't need the pedal with it for OD though.

The Frontman's have excellent clean, I use a Frontman 212R for just that. Unless you need the DSP desperately, which are fun but limited, I'd stick to the 65R.

The Boss pedal won't quite interact with these amps as well as it would with a valve amp for distortion but will sound ok (I've tried a couple of Vintage Jap Boss's in mine and got a perfectly acceptable tone).

The Fender SS are great for cleans which is why I use them but if you are looking at using a lot of OD/Dist it may be worth saving a little more and looking to the used market for a second hand peavey Classic 30 for example (which will give you a decent clean and work well with your pedal.)

So your saying in a nut shell that the 65r would be the best clean w/ the od-20?

barrydjuptight

Reaction score
Kinda: from the list you gave that's prob the most suitable for your purposes.

I use the Fender when I want a loud, undistorted, crystal clear clean.

If it was me though, I'd seriously look at trying to get a 2nd hand valve amp. The difference will be night and day to your tone.

Tucker2121

Reaction score
Kinda: from the list you gave that's prob the most suitable for your purposes.

I use the Fender when I want a loud, undistorted, crystal clear clean.

If it was me though, I'd seriously look at trying to get a 2nd hand valve amp. The difference will be night and day to your tone.

Links?

barrydjuptight

Reaction score
I'm in the UK.
You guys over the pond seem to have luck with local Craigslist. Ebay. Local stores.
A good valve amp will last you a lifetime but those solid-states are in general something you will outgrow pretty quickly. I use the solid state fender as I say, when I want a clean tone - but for overdrive or distortion, adding a pedal give an adequate "make-do" sound but I'll always plump for a valve.
Also, 65 solid state watts is still not huge for gigging and will struggle to keep up with a drummer un-mic'ed.
First one I came across:
Used USA Peavey Classic 30 Guitar Combo Amp Tweed!!!!!! on eBay, also Bass, Guitar Amplifiers, Guitar, Musical Instruments (end time 02-Jul-09 17:22:50 BST)
A 30 watt valve amp will give you more volume - plenty of threads on here about the whys and wherefores of this.

Standard 64

Reaction score
If you like Fender cleans then get a used Fender tube amp.Then hook up your pedal to it.You should be happy.

barrydjuptight

Reaction score
If you like Fender cleans then get a used Fender tube amp.Then hook up your pedal to it.You should be happy.
That'd work too.
Just thought you might not be able to get as much Fender amp for your money as a Peavey, but I don't know what the US market is like, you might get better deals on stuff....it's certainly all cheap over there compared to here :shock:
Both good options - get to a store if you can and try them out..see what you like and take a friend who knows his/her stuff if you can. NEVER trust what a salesman says :laugh2:

Telecaster

Reaction score
Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe..............With a Les Paul it sounds supurb.

Latest Threads