help buying my old man first les paul r9 vs standard?

Red Beard

Reaction score
When your spending $3-4k on a guitar and its meant to be special,,,,,me personally id do some research on local shops and make a day out of it with the old man
Drag his ass out and sit him on a chair and hand him Les Pauls till he smiles ear to ear

Im sure he ll love whatever guitar you get him but finding the one that blows his mind would be priceless

Id tell him i want to start playing and i want a les paul and i need your help to find it pops

Just a thought,,,,,but the best person to find what he dreams of is him,,,,,noone knows what he likes better then him
I think you can con him into finding his own les paul

kvxmg

Reaction score
Jimmy Page mods....pickups and wiring mods
urhh i went down that rabbit hole tonight, wiring is about splitting the humbuckers? but some say he did that mod after the zeppelin days? and pick ups confused me even more, PAFs/T tops, i found a seymour duncan set called whole lotta humbucker...

integra evan

Reaction score
Yeah take him guitar shopping. That would be fun.
"Hey dad I want to get a Les Paul, can you help me find a good one?"
Then when he plays them with you he will say "man I really like this one, maybe I should get it for myself haha"
Then you can say "Surprise, its yours!"

endial

Reaction score
urhh i went down that rabbit hole tonight, wiring is about splitting the humbuckers? but some say he did that mod after the zeppelin days? and pick ups confused me even more, PAFs/T tops, i found a seymour duncan set called whole lotta humbucker...
Yikes! I know!

I apologize on behalf of the lesser fanatic Pagey fans in the forum.

Edit: Present it (after you've made your call) as is, and modify it for his next birthday if he decides that's what he'd like.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
What's your Greco ?? If he likes that neck you can narrow what he likes down by that one. I can understand wanting a dream Gibson, i think most of us on this forum can also. You only live once. I would go the lightly used route myself. There are plenty of them that pop up in our Classifieds here from time to time.

Oh and good on you for helping him with his dream.

Standard 64

Reaction score
He will find out what the guitar costs. And he needs to play the guitar and feel the neck for a while.If too fat he will be uncomfortable playing the fat neck(trust me).If too skinny his hand could cramp. So i stick by my first suggestion.Also if he is a big Zep fan you do not have too get him a 100% clone Jimmy Page guitar.A heritage cherry sunburst Standard would be awesome!!

Last edited:

kvxmg

Reaction score
What's your Greco ?? If he likes that neck you can narrow what he likes down by that one. I can understand wanting a dream Gibson, i think most of us on this forum can also. You only live once. I would go the lightly used route myself. There are plenty of them that pop up in our Classifieds here from time to time.

Oh and good on you for helping him with his dream.
Greco Les Paul Custom "Randy Rhoads" Mint Collection 1989

macaius

Reaction score
I second the Classic option. Look for 2019-2020 models. New if possible. New is always better. The looks, the smell, the case candy, the unboxing. Choose a cherry sunburst and you're done. It's a true Gibson, great quality, switching options. Tone beast, thin neck. Great price. For me this option is unbeatable.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Epiphone guitars are chinese junk, buy this.....https://reverb.com/item/36682578-gibson-60-les-paul-historic-v-o-s-guitar-center-2009-faded-sunburst

Neilhoh

Reaction score
Mate, get the old man something iconic that is as close as possible to what you originally described. And spend more if you have to. It is an investment in blowing his mind that he finally got to own and play the guitar a God played.
Once the $$ are spent you wont miss them and if you feel you didnt go the whole hog [he'll never say it or show it] you will regret it. Cheers. Awesome gift.

guitarbob123

Reaction score
Check out Mark's Guitar Loft. He has several Custom Shop '59s that are below 4K.
In all honesty this is the best path, seen people recommend Mark for over a decade now (and probably longer) and he knows his stuff.

Give him a call and tell him what you’re looking for and the price range and I cannot see how you’d end up with a bad guitar.

As for the Marshall SV20h, it’s a great amp but without pedals or an attenuator you’re looking at 90dB and upwards to get it to Led Zep territory so do take that into consideration further down the line!

Cookiee

Reaction score
I'd look either at the new 60s standard or a used R0 (or a G0) with that budget.

MW110

Reaction score
Wow, your dad must be a really good dad and he must be happy, to have such a kid!!!
On Reverb is a Jimmy Page Les Paul on offer. A bit above your budget, but make an offer. Maybe the seller will accept. Try it....

4symbols

Reaction score
Have you tried the first Jimmy Page Signatures from the 90s, not quite sure but they could work out cheaper than the Custom Shop Les Pauls from Gibson. These Les Pauls were made on the standard line with modifications from Jimmy. I have a 96 and great looking Les Paul and plays like a dream, over 20 different sounds from the switching system from the Volume and Tone pots. Let me know how you go on....

Attachments

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Depends how much you want to spend

Now that I own a Standard(finally), I'm super curious about these Classics. I don't really see a huge difference other than the flamed top for these 2020 models. I'm saving now for a reissue but a Classic is definitely on the list during my GAS periods.

leofender55

Reaction score
That's nice gesture of you for your Dad. In your price range, and the fact that your Dad wants a thinner neck profile, I'd go slim taper, 60's neck profile. I currently have 6 Les Pauls, including an R0 & G0. (the R0 is the guitar in my avatar). You can't go wrong with either, but the G0 is probably going to be less money. With a few of my friends having played both of mine, they mostly prefer the G0.

Latest Threads