help buying my old man first les paul r9 vs standard?

Gitter

Reaction score
A $3500-$4000 budget and people are suggesting an Epiphone? A 70 y/o man appreciates authenticity and isn't going to mod a cheap guitar. The 2020 60's Standard is a good recommendation. It comes in Iced Tea or Sweetwater has an exclusive 60's in cherry sunburst. That being said, you may be able to score a Page signature guitar for $4k. Here's one for a little more that accepts offers....

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Epi sucks..... yeah I said it.

I’d rather have an Edwards.

Another vote for a Classic. Finding a Classic will be easier than a V3 R0 or a G0 and a bit cheaper.

But if I was your dad I would want one of those V3 R0 60th anniversary models.... if I was your dad.;)

Last edited:

TheWelder

Reaction score
Is $4K what he is looking to spend or just the top end of the budget? If it's Custom Shop or bust, I'd say a used R0 for a slimmer neck as others have stated. If you're looking to buy new, you could save some money by getting an Original Collection 60s Standard. They are very sweet guitars.

JMP

Reaction score
A $3500-$4000 budget and people are suggesting an Epiphone? A 70 y/o man appreciates authenticity and isn't going to mod a cheap guitar. The 2020 60's Standard is a good recommendation. It comes in Iced Tea or Sweetwater has an exclusive 60's in cherry sunburst. That being said, you may be able to score a Page signature guitar for $4k. Here's one for a little more that accepts offers....
I totally agree with this sentiment. A new Standard or a Classic would be my recommendation. Reissues are amazing, but it’s hard to beat the new USA models and they are an excellent value. If your dad has never owned a Les Paul, I cannot imagine he’d be unhappy with a Standard or Classic.

You’re an awesome son!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
would it be possible to take dad guitar shopping?it would sure be a bummer to spend that kind of money and discover that the guitar you picked out was not his cup of tea.there are so many les pauls out there that it will be confusing to find just the one he wants without his input.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
As someone who has owned many off-the-shelf and built to order guitars, if he isn't a hardcore Gibson guy, don't bother with an R9. If he is a strat guy, I think he'll be more than happy with a classic or a standard (even a used traditional for that matter).

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The Classic comes in a lot of different colors, so you could choose one of which you think he would like the best, and they are not expensive which will save you money. Zebra pickups, slim taper neck, Burstbucker 61 pickups as well as a few extra features that he may use or not use, so it doesn't hurt to have them. And of course only $500 more and you can get the 60's Slim Taper neck Standard, another great guitar you can't go wrong with. There is not a big difference between the 60's Standard and the Classic with exception to a little weight relief on the Classic, so it's a little bit lighter and the extra features with coil splitting and such that your Dad can choose to use or not use. The Classic is going to weight less, which I think would be a good thing for your Dad. haha

Gibson Les Paul Classic Electric Guitar - Heritage Cherry Sunburst | Sweetwater

Jimmy Page - Ramble On (It Might Get Loud) - YouTube

Last edited:

kvxmg

Reaction score
i have a greco lp and he likes the feel of it, i was just curious if it gibsons were like the fender starts where you can buy a USA fender upgrade the tuners and pick ups and you have a great instrument for less than the cost of a custom shop reissue.

but if the R0's are that much better it might be worth it rather than buying a classic and upgrading it, id buy a marshal svh20 +sv212 to go with it

kvxmg

Reaction score
Bring him to a a real nice guitar shop and it would be best for him to fall in love with one.
the problem with that is he would never admit to one he likes due to the price and then he would know what its worth and whilst appreciating the gift knowing the cost will take away part of the joy. this way if i just buy it i can say its present and i got an amazing deal and that can be the end of it

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have a Custom, and it does have a certain growl to it that my Standards did not have. But you would need to find a Slim Taper neck Custom. Mine has a Medium C neck which is nice, not to big and not to small where I really like it. But.. this Custom of mine was 5k. The Classic is setup nicely from Gibson where it is plek'd so the frets are all setup perfectly so to speak and Sweetwater does an inspection to make sure the intonation and such is good. Sure everyone likes there guitar setup a bit differently and you may have to make some adjustments, but it should come pretty much ready to rock and be really good.

If you buy a used one, who knows how well they took care of it and if it may need a re-fret or something more done to it. Just my thoughts, for your Dad to have one no one else played and it is all his.

Latest Threads