help buying my old man first les paul r9 vs standard?

kvxmg

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I want to buy my dad his first Gibson Les paul for his 70th birthday. He is a fan of Led Zeppelin so naturally the 1959 reissue comes to mind but gee is the price eyewatering!

would i by better off buying a les paul standard and spending money on upgrades or what is the best bang for buck les paul for that classic tone.

Thanks in adavance.

KK

Big Do

Reaction score
Depends how much you want to spend. In some ways the Classic actually might fit the bill? It’s plain top, zebra pickups and all the switching options somewhat line up with the 70s vibe? Price is a tiny bit lower than the Standard too.

1610276953693.png

kvxmg

Reaction score
What is your budget?
What guitars has he been owning / playing?
A used R9 would be amazing... for sure better than a new standard...
budget is around $3.5 - 4K he has traditionally played fender strats and prefers a slimmer neck due to short fingers.

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your budget?
What guitars has he been owning / playing?
A used R9 would be amazing... for sure better than a new standard...
Agree with this ^ with one question; does your Dad have a preference in neck types? Neck thickness and profile can be an important factor in how someone bonds with a Les Paul, but for all other reasons I’d go for a used R9, R8 (usually thicker than R9), or R0 (different possibilities for necks - V1 thickest but thinner than R9, V2 is thinner than V1)
Custom Shop models (R0, R8, & R9 just feel and sound superior to USA models (Standard/Classic/Traditional) based on my limited experience.

Last edited:

kvxmg

Reaction score
Agree with this ^ with one question; does your Dad have a preference in neck types? Neck thickness and profile can be an important factor in how someone bonds with a Les Paul, but for all other reasons I’d go for a R9, R8 (usually thicker than R9), or R0 (different possibilities for necks - V1 thickest but thinner than R9, V2 is thinner than V1),
to me they (Custom Shop models) just feel and sound superior to USA models (Standard/Classic/Traditional) from my experience.
he prefers a thinner neck and looking to spend no more then $4K

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d look for a R0 or G0 used, the G0 can usually be found a little cheaper with a plain top (usually) but are a good bargain, special run made for Guitar Center & I’ve played and liked several used ones at my local GC in the past, you can find them in that price range used, my 2009 R0 is beautiful & cost just a bit above 4K two years ago & I absolutely love it.
FE9F3BA1-0EA5-48CC-8C5D-6A3767B6550E.jpeg

kvxmg

Reaction score
I’d look for a R0 or G0 used, the G0 can usually be found a little cheaper with a plain top (usually) but are a good bargain, special run made for Guitar Center & I’ve played and liked several used ones at my local GC in the past, you can find them in that price range used, my 2009 R0 is beautiful & cost just a bit above 4K two years ago & I absolutely love it.
View attachment 511169
something like this?? whats the difference between classic and standard? something tells me that isnt a R0 judging by the price?

Torshalla

Reaction score
I would go for a used R0 (or G0)... ask the seller about neck profile and make sure it id slim 60 profile (some years the neck profiles varied)
You should be able to find one for under 4k and it will already have lost as much value as it is going to lose so can always be sold later without loss...
And after owning both USA and Custom shop LPs, i would not go back to a USA version. Feel and tone are different... for me it is mainly the feel though

jvin248

Reaction score

Remember that Led Zeppelin, like many other bands, recorded many songs with a Telecaster and then stage toured with other guitar brands/styles (possibly after getting 'gear deals' by corporate marketing efforts). Hendrix was another that used a Tele in his recording sessions.

I'd suggest finding one of the
Epiphone 2020 59 Custom Shop
models as they are priced a lot better than the Gibsons. Actually, many of the 2020 Epiphone LPs are quite good. Some players get to be snobs about headstock labels, others worry about the drama around how freakishly fragile the Gibson headstocks break.

One of several reviews:

LP1865

Reaction score

Remember that Led Zeppelin, like many other bands, recorded many songs with a Telecaster and then stage toured with other guitar brands/styles (possibly after getting 'gear deals' by corporate marketing efforts). Hendrix was another that used a Tele in his recording sessions.

I'd suggest finding one of the
Epiphone 2020 59 Custom Shop
models as they are priced a lot better than the Gibsons. Actually, many of the 2020 Epiphone LPs are quite good. Some players get to be snobs about headstock labels, others worry about the drama around how freakishly fragile the Gibson headstocks break.

One of several reviews:

These have chunky necks

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I want to buy my dad his first Gibson Les paul for his 70th birthday. He is a fan of Led Zeppelin so naturally the 1959 reissue comes to mind but gee is the price eyewatering!

would i by better off buying a les paul standard and spending money on upgrades or what is the best bang for buck les paul for that classic tone.

Thanks in adavance.

KK
You can do what I did for the same reason. I too love Zeppelin.

-Gibson Les Paul Standard
-JPP pickups from @cooljuk

Attachments

LP1865

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree
I have the epi59
I have really small hands and the neck is in no way chunky. Just feels perfect
Sorry.
others stated it had a chunky 50s profile

Zylo

Reaction score
If you go to this thread this is where people who actually own it have been posting

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pushing an Epiphone with a scarf joint as “better” than a Gibson? Prospective owner is looking for a thin necked Gibson as a gift. Come on. :squint:
Stop pushing and ruining threads

Gridlock

Reaction score
Your a great son by the way. A nice used R9 is within your budget if your planning to spend $3500-$4000.

As someone else stated above, a LP Classic with a smaller neck would be a good choice. A nice used Classic can be had for around $1500. Maybe a good option to make sure that he likes playing a Les Paul.

Latest Threads