Help authenticate this 56’ Tweed Deluxe

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
I’ve got a couple vintage Gibson’s now so to complete the tone I’ve got the following vintage Tweed Deluxe offered to me.

I feel like the speaker isn’t original... unless they used a 1950 speaker in a 56’ amp (based on the serial number)?

Please let me know what you think of this amp’s authenticity and originality:

Thanks in advance!

392D7A2B-AC6D-4002-B860-A3364B74308E.jpeg
BE54B327-AEDD-4150-B66C-503CE49059F4.jpeg
025ACAF7-DE8F-4C13-BAE9-E06C9D02C894.jpeg
C3B17227-19C6-4119-A75D-EEE3A65B4870.jpeg
EBFE02B3-11B2-4EC8-A92F-AB8258191DDD.jpeg
A37680B1-C0D3-43E8-9AC7-23A910173DC6.jpeg
4FE3AECE-6D35-4E02-AA6A-B7644AA54760.jpeg
213FC563-564E-40C4-9F17-F4632E3FDF1F.jpeg
54F84D08-91C6-4096-BE7B-F3643EB5E96D.jpeg
08116DA5-6E08-4058-B12C-F4D25607CCD1.jpeg
CF624884-8262-42DE-B07D-C2412D0162E0.jpeg
6A84BA8A-8943-401C-B5F8-53D5337B6D66.jpeg

EDIT: did more research. I think it’s a 1961 with 1960 speaker

Last edited:

Axis39

Reaction score
Just curious. What makes you think it's a '61?

Are you looking for a player? Or collector? If collector's piece, and it's right, that looks nice. If a player, it needs some maintenance... But, that might lower any collector value?

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, buying it this weekend (maybe today)!

Just curious. What makes you think it's a '61?

Are you looking for a player? Or collector? If collector's piece, and it's right, that looks nice. If a player, it needs some maintenance... But, that might lower any collector value?
The serial number dates to early 61. The transformer is late 60, the speaker is mid 60, the tubes are 60/61. The tube stamp format is 60/61 (faint "K" stamped next to the production number; K=61).

I'm buying to collect/play in studio/room kinda thing (not going to gig it) :D

sonar

Reaction score
The .1uF's caps are replacements.

The speaker is probably right. DO you have a pic of the solder on the tabs?

Everything else looks really good.

NotScott

Reaction score
Comparing to the inspection tag and serial number of my 60, I am sure yours is a 61.

It looks like somebody may have done the old trick of unrolling one end of the Astron paper can and replacing the innards with a fresh cap. If not and you need to recap, that is what you do.

If that is the original grey. power cord, you may want to swap it out for a grounded cord, just for safety.

And speaking of safety, if it is all original, that white stuff lining the inside back of the chassis access panel is good old-fashioned, American asbestos. :wow:

Ahhhhhhh, the good old days! How ever did we survive the 20th Century?

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
Comparing to the inspection tag and serial number of my 60, I am sure yours is a 61.

It looks like somebody may have done the old trick of unrolling one end of the Astron paper can and replacing the innards with a fresh cap. If not and you need to recap, that is what you do.

If that is the original grey. power cord, you may want to swap it out for a grounded cord, just for safety.

And speaking of safety, if it is all original, that white stuff lining the inside back of the chassis access panel is good old-fashioned, American asbestos. :wow:

Ahhhhhhh, the good old days! How ever did we survive the 20th Century?
Thanks for the info! I’ve got a question about the asbestos. I’d done some research and it seemed half the people were saying leave it alone and the other half suggesting ways to prevent the asbestos from becoming a concern. The amp is going to be mostly in my bedroom so I just want to take the safest route possible when it comes to playing and storing it.

If I take the back plate off completely and put it in a sealed bag until I need to resell the amp and in the meantime, get my Fender authorized tech to get all the old dust out of the amp, it’s pretty safe to use the amp with no backplate, right? (I’d be looking for a newer replacement back plate in the meantime)

Thanks again!

NotScott

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I’ve got a question about the asbestos. I’d done some research and it seemed half the people were saying leave it alone and the other half suggesting ways to prevent the asbestos from becoming a concern. The amp is going to be mostly in my bedroom so I just want to take the safest route possible when it comes to playing and storing it.

If I take the back plate off completely and put it in a sealed bag until I need to resell the amp and in the meantime, get my Fender authorized tech to get all the old dust out of the amp, it’s pretty safe to use the amp with no backplate, right? (I’d be looking for a newer replacement back plate in the meantime)

Thanks again!

In the construction industry, unless the asbestos is disturbed, flaking and/or releasing particulates, it is left alone. However, as soon as it is disturbed, it has to be removed. Mine is all flaking but I don't give a damn. I rarely have the back cover off anyway and if you went to any school through the 70s like me, you were exposed to far more asbestos sitting in those classrooms finished with those white, 12" ceiling tiles.

I am not an expert on asbestos remediation and seeing that you would like to keep this amp as a collector/studio piece, I would just leave it be. As for my own amp, I just left it as is but I realize the risks and take adequate precautions when I need to remove the back panel.

Enjoy it. Don't worry over it.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
In the construction industry, unless the asbestos is disturbed, flaking and/or releasing particulates, it is left alone. However, as soon as it is disturbed, it has to be removed. Mine is all flaking but I don't give a damn. I rarely have the back cover off anyway and if you went to any school through the 70s like me, you were exposed to far more asbestos sitting in those classrooms finished with those white, 12" ceiling tiles.

I am not an expert on asbestos remediation and seeing that you would like to keep this amp as a collector/studio piece, I would just leave it be. As for my own amp, I just left it as is but I realize the risks and take adequate precautions when I need to remove the back panel.

Enjoy it. Don't worry over it.
Thanks! I mean from a collector piece perspective; I’d have the entire backplate panel in a sealed bag for when I decide to sell it. I’d put it back on when selling or better yet just leave there. Is there anything wrong from a safety perspective with taking the backplate off (entire thing, not JUST the asbestos lining) and sealing it in a couple plastic ziploc bags)? :hmm:

NotScott

Reaction score
Thanks! I mean from a collector piece perspective; I’d have the entire backplate panel in a sealed bag for when I decide to sell it. I’d put it back on when selling or better yet just leave there. Is there anything wrong from a safety perspective with taking the backplate off (entire thing, not JUST the asbestos lining) and sealing it in a couple plastic ziploc bags)? :hmm:
I don't see why you couldn't seal it up in a bag and replace it with repro back panel.

Axis39

Reaction score
I used shellac on the asbestos in the back fo my '58 Twin. I took the back cover off, took it outside, put on a really good mask and gently let some thinned out shellac soak into it. When I though I couldn't get any more in, I sprayed some clear shellac on top fo that... And I sprayed the bejeezus out of it. I soaked it good.

Once the shellac is dry, you cannot tell it's there. But, I now feel safe(r) when I have to go into the amp.

Is it safe to run it without the cover? No. Lot of high voltages running right around the power switch... I've been bitten (while working on an amp) when I reached back to flip on the standby switch. Won't do that again (I hope).

The safest solution is to store the original back panel, and get another made to go on the amp.

Latest Threads