Thanks to everybody for your most helpful replies!! I am working on rebuilding again. I am following the simple diagram where the capaictor goes from the tone pot to the volume pot. Only the capictors were origainally fitted on the tone pot and grounded on the tone pot and as they are very short won't reach from volume to tone! Do I just leave them where they are? As I have said its understanding what everything does is where my problem is.
In answer to some of the questions...
They are two wired humbuckers
The guitar was purchased recently with faulty wiring,hence the repair
The pickups were working before...they came from another guitar.
Sadly i'm not that young anymore!!
Hi. Thanks for info. I have put it back together again and now the pickups work......sort of. They sound very odd through the amp!! Certainly not right. I will post a pic in a bit, You mentioned hot to jack,that is what I have. Is that not a good idea then??
If, however you are getting sounds from each switch position properly, then the wiring should be right, and it is time to troubleshoot. Are the solder joins all solid? Is the switch closing the connections properly? Are the jack tangs making a good connection to the cable? These are starting points for trouble shooting.
Bad pots can also be a problem. If the guitar has been sitting for a while corrosion can build up inside the pots. If there is a crackling noise and the signal goes in and out suddenly, then the pots need cleaning. Standard contact cleaner from the hardware section of any variety store will help. Some come with a thin tube to help direct the spray down inside the pot. There are youtubes that demonstrate pot cleaning.
Also the type of solder you use makes a difference. Make sure it does not contain acid. This guy is a character to watch, but imparts good learnin's: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3piea3NOHV8[/ame]
Depending on how old the guitar is/how much modification has been done it could be a problem with the pickup itself. Generally when a pickups magnets are either weakened from age or put in backwards (this is actually a very easy thing to do when messing with a pickups bobbins and such) they have a very weak sound similar to what you are describing. Hopefully and most likely it is just a wiring problem. Just throwing that out there as a possibility.