Help. 50’s dogear P-90 original or rewound?

Reaction score
I’m negotiating on a 57 Junior which is very clean and looks to be all original. There is one thing I’ve just noticed which is bothering me though, which is the wiring coming out of the P-90. As far as I know and from my own experience of owning a few 50’s and early 60’s P-90 guitars the two wires coming from the coil should be black. However on the P-90 that’s in the guitar I’m looking at the two wires are grey! My first instinct was to suspect that the p/up had been rewound at some point (it is hot as well at just over 9k). I’ve managed to get a few pictures of the wires in question and also the solder joint, thought it’s hard to tell if this is the original solder or not. The original masking tape is still there.

Has anyone else seen any original 50’s dogear P-90’s with grey wires as opposed to black? Or does this look like it’s been rewound at some point?

Below are a few pictures. BTW it’s an immense sounding guitar. Plugged straight into a Marshall it’s a big sound. The rest of the guitar is great.

Thanks in advance for any more info and advice.

57_LPJR_001.JPG
57_LPJR_004.JPG

ARandall

Reaction score
My 50's p90's I've bought have always come with black hookup wires.
And the tape is suspiciously clean

yamariv

Reaction score
Yup, rewind! Never seen any Gibson P90's in the 50's with Grey wires, always both black. Gibson switched to white and black in the mid 60's P90's

Mike I

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All my 50's and 60's P-90's have black or B&W wires, and none near 9K.

Rewind is probable in your case. It's a flag for a future buyer that knows his stuff for sure.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies folks and for confirming my suspicions. I've spoke to a few others as well who have all confirmed that it is a likely rewind. So negotialtions on this particular 57 are off and I'm looking at a 58 now instead. It's a shame as the 57 was otherwise all there and very clean. Hopefully the 58 will be completely straight and things will work out on that one...

yamariv

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies folks and for confirming my suspicions. I've spoke to a few others as well who have all confirmed that it is a likely rewind. So negotialtions on this particular 57 are off and I'm looking at a 58 now instead. It's a shame as the 57 was otherwise all there and very clean. Hopefully the 58 will be completely straight and things will work out on that one...
Glad we can help! If you can, before you pull the trigger on the 58 post some pics so we can double check what youre buying incase you miss something!

themollusk79

Reaction score
The P90 in my '59 Junior is original and reads 9.2K - the hot ones are out there!

themollusk79

Reaction score
Besides the pickup reading, do you find it really hot as in pushes the amp very hard as well?
It absolutely does. I play though a deluxe reverb at home and at edge of breakup levels for most of my guitars, the junior sounds like I’m using overdrive. It’s hot, hot I tell you! :dude:

yamariv

Reaction score
It absolutely does. I play though a deluxe reverb at home and at edge of breakup levels for most of my guitars, the junior sounds like I’m using overdrive. It’s hot, hot I tell you! :dude:
LOL!! That's what I was wondering cause sometimes Ohms readings don't always equal hot as in pushing the amp. Sounds like my Junior is exactly in the same boat as yours..I actually just plugged mine into an amp after playing a Tele through it and huge difference in volume and gain, had to turn it down :dude: :naughty:

Latest Threads