Help - 1957 Gibson Les Paul Junior

cdscarter

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a 1957 Les Paul Junior. Everything seems legit, it's been refinished by Dave Johnson - comes with certificate to show he'd done it but it got me curious. How can you tell the difference with a decent amount of certainty that it isn't the modern reissue instead of the real deal. I don't believe this to be the case here but still. I mean, this has Centralab pots with the serials dating them to 41st week of 1956 and I was under the impression that the reissues come with CTS pots only. But is there anything else?

Thanks for any information in advance and hopefully I will have a new Junior tomorrow :)

Actinic

Reaction score
The wraparound tailpiece is invariably at an angle. Same is not true of Custom Shop versions in the last two decades.

GibsonLesPaul57Junior7-3251109.jpg

Others go by the back of the P-90 pickup, headstock details, and the capacitor. No matter how authentic the guitar may, the sound matters the most. Otherwise you may as well buy a Henry Juszkiewicz era guitar, and pocket the price difference.

Blacksheep

Reaction score
I so nearly pulled the trigger on that guitar a few weeks back. I held off because I prefer DCs . . . And the wife has superglued my credit card to the ceiling.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The studs are set at 7° on a vintage Junior vs 5° on a Historic Junior. 7° is too much for modern string sets, thus you typically see the treble side of the bridge jacked away from the post in order to decrease the angle.

The centerline of the volume pot is 2" from the end of the pickguard on the vintage Junior and 1-9/16" on the reissue

1955 (L), 2010 Historic (R)

2006 Historic (L), 1957 (R)

The Gibson logo is gold on the vintage guitar and greenish on the reissue

The most obvious difference is the box neck tenon. If you remove the pickguard you will see that on the vintage Junior the routed pocket for the neck is full width of the neck (2-1/4") whereas the Reissue tenon measures 1-1/2" wide.

OP:If you want to verify that the DJ refin is not a reissue the seller for a photo without the pickguard.

1957 (coincidentally this photo is of the same guitar shown in post #2 which I owned up until about 7 years ago)

2006 1-1/2" wide tenon

Latest Threads